• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Vintage Chain Swivels

Since I have recently acquired 2 of these I thought I'd start a thread on them. If there is already one somewhere, my apologies and maybe mine can be added to it.

As I already posted, this first one is a New Old Stock Lucky Dog swivel. The second one is attached to a vintage platform I just got and it wasn't used much.

The length of the swing can be adjusted for a faster or slower rebound on both. They feel a little different than a ball and hook but you can do everything on them that you can a ball and hook. Even with the chain striking the base they are still not as noisy as a all metal ball and hook.

Here's the pics. Does anyone else have some of these?

Last edited by fedora; 12-14-2013, 08:01 PM.
  • CeSalt
    • Nov 2013

I don't have one, but I like the looks of them. The ability to adjust the chain length makes for nice variation in workouts as long as the board is big enough to handle the extra length. To me that's a worthwhile advantage.

Comment

• CeSalt
      • Nov 2013

As luck would have it, I am now the proud owner (I think) of a Lucky Dog swivel! I can't wait to try it out, Fedora. Mine has a chain like the one on your solid board.

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

CeSalt, you lucky girl. I can't wait to read how you like the mighty Lucky Dog swivel !

Comment

• CeSalt
          • Nov 2013

Thanks, Paranday! I'm excited about it and will try to test tomorrow evening. By the way, I just matched up the Lucky Dog with an Everlast and see that they align. Yesss!

Comment

• CeSalt
            • Nov 2013

Lucky Dog Review

Though I haven't yet shined up the Lucky Dog I put it up on the board today for a test. I had a DeVille up there and so put the LD next to it for comparison. You can see how robust the LD is, but it mounted very securely using the same holes in the board. With the set screw inside fastened through the second chain link from the hook, I was able to use my medium sized bags on a 24" drum with room to spare. Good to know in case I want to lengthen the chain for future workouts. Once in action, I noticed right away what Fedora has already pointed out, which is that this design is much quieter than an all metal ball hook. Its certainly noisier than a plastic/metal combo, but now we have something in the mid range. Of particular interest to me was gauging the bag's freedom of movement on the twisted chain links. I tried all the basic punches I know and then manually pulled the bag around in all directions to see if the links would lock up or at least hitch at some point, but they never did. Like Fedora, I found no impediments at all to using the chain swivel. It's probably not as fast as a ball hook, but if so only by a fraction of time that I wouldn't bother to measure if I could. Lastly, I really like the shape of the hook. It was easy enough to switch bags and apparent that the gracefully exaggerated "S"-- actually a kinked figure 8 if looking from the side-- is added security for keeping the bag on the hook. So thanks for the heads up, Fedora! The Lucky Dog is a good investment in my book.
            Attached Files

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

I like vintage equipment -- that you can use ! Think I'll seek out my own Lucky Dog now !

Comment

• fedora
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2012

I'm glad you are enjoying yours as much as I am mine. I shortened up the chain on mine to the same length as yours and I found it works really well. And with the beef of that chain it won't ever wear out. My Nonpareil swivel works really well too, those guys came up with some great designs back in the day.

Where did you get yours CeSalt?

regards fedora

Comment

• CeSalt
                  • Nov 2013

I came across this one on Etsy. It's funny to me that often sellers push listings like "Vintage Leather Speed Bag-WOW!" when its the generically mentioned "mount included" that is often the star of the show. I can sometimes work prices down considerably because the seller is focused only on the bag.

Comment

• fedora
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                    I wonder how similar the feel is between those chainlink swivels and the old fashioned rope (leather rope) swivels...ralph
                    I have one of those too. The problem with it is that no matter how hard you tie the rope, when you hit it, it will still tighen up more and stretch out some, making the swing longer and thus making it a slower rebound. The chain never changes obviously. The chain works better. It is super quiet though.

fedora
                    Last edited by fedora; 12-31-2013, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• paranday
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by fedora View Post
                      I have one of those too. The problem with it is that no matter how hard you tie the rope, when you hit it, it will still tighen up more and stretch out some, making the swing longer and thus making it a slower rebound.
                      Yep. I use 550 paracord and a special knot and must tie the cord shorter and break it in to the desired length.

Comment

• fedora
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Dec 2012

What kind of Knot?

fedora

Comment

• paranday
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Sep 2009

What kind of Knot?
                          First I should have been more clear, I meant to agree that rope based swivels have the problem you indicated. Not sure which knot I'd use for the rope type swivels I have on hand, I haven't put them to use yet but hope to soon enough. Additionally, paracord is strong but slippery stuff, some knots easily fail that wouldn't with cotton or hemp rope.

As for the special knot, this is for the loop that attaches the bag to the rotating eyebolt type swivel (the earliest of this type swivel appears to be the Spaulding No. 11 from the 1890s). For these loops I use a zeppelin bend, an old US Navy knot,

There are many videos about that knot on Youtube, it's enjoyed something of a revival in recent years. It had to be good, if your lighter than air machine got away, how would you explain that to the Navy ? A nice feature of that knot is that it is easy to untie.

Comment

• fedora
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Dec 2012

Cool knot. I love all the different kinds that someone at some point in time figured out.

fedora

I wonder if anyone here bought this vintage rope swivel.

Comment

• paranday
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Sep 2009

I wonder if anyone here bought this vintage rope swivel.
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/c1900-Antiqu...vip=true&rt=nc
                              Nice swivel !

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...