• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Leone 8.5 X 5.5

Someone had asked about this bag a while back and MsDeville put up a video of her doing some great baggin on it. I just got it and thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in on it as well in case someone else was considering buying one.

I had already purchased the Leone 9x6 and liked how easily it rebounded so I got this one too. It was the same soft leather, very nice feel on the hands to hit. While I couldn't really see the extra .5 inch on the 9x6 the 8x5 is bigger than my other 8x5s. I pumped it up to about 4 lbs of pressure and did some hitting on it. Right away I noticed I couldn't control it as good as the other one and I was pretty disappointed. It just went all over the place. It took a lot of hitting on it before I finally got sighted in on it. But every hit had to be "EXACTLY" on the sweet spot or it would go off on me. I decided to let some air out of it, down to around 3 lbs and it made all the difference in how it handled. Now I can control it pretty easily, although I still have to watch how hard I hit it as it rebounds really fast. I really like. It is great bag for $50.00

fedora
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

No, but later this afternoon I will have some time and I'll post some pics of the two.

fedora

Okay, here's the side by side of the 9.5 X 6.5 Leone and a 8.5 x 5.5 leone and also a side by side with the Promex 8 x 5 and a NOS Ringside 8 x 5. I tried to get the top of the actual bags all even with one another although I think I got the Promex a little high.

Last edited by fedora; 01-21-2013, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• fedora
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2012

In Bag-a-holics post on bag weights, he has a lot of pics of the different bags. You can do a pretty good comparison from those pics from one bag to another. His pic of the Leone looks like mine in real life. They are definitely rounder than a Cleto from the pics. I have a 9x6 Ringside Heritage coming, hopefully this week. I can post a side by side pic when it comes if you want.

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I like the low belly flatter bottom on the Leone bags.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Inflation

Here is a photo of the two Leone bags I have. Actually, the larger one is on loan from Juxt.

I think if one follows the instructions of inflating the bag to 4 lbs. of pressure, you will get the more bulbous look. It will also make for a trickier workout and can go kinda catty-wampus. (Is that a word?) I have found when I inflate a bag to the recommended 4 lbs., sometimes the bags are much harder to control. I have been inflating my bags strictly "by feel." I was working out on my small Leone bag last night and I had about 2-1/2 lbs of pressure in it. I still have the speed, but I also have a lot more control of the bag.

The one thing I don't like on the Leone bags is the LONG loop. Way too long. I'm thinking of cutting a little bit off of it and restitching it on my old commercial sewing machine…

Oh yeah. One more thing. The valve stem sticks out quite a bit, causing me major discomfort when a fist bumps into it while punching. I trimmed it, using an exacto blade.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by MsDeville; 01-22-2013, 11:09 AM. Reason: typo
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• fedora
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2012

I noticed the long loop too, but I did a quickie fix by wrapping some tape around it to tighten it up. I'm with you Dee, the 4lbs on this bag makes it really hard to control on even the simplest of punches. But after a little deflation it was easy to control and still rebounded really nice with minimal effort.

fedora

Comment

• Allentown
              • Oct 2010

I have this bag too. I really like it. It is fast and leather is very high quality. It is worth the $50.00.

Comment

• fedora
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                The one thing I don't like on the Leone bags is the LONG loop. Way too long. I'm thinking of cutting a little bit off of it and restitching it on my old commercial sewing machineā€¦
                Dee, did you ever cut the loop down?? I taped mine to close it up some so it wouldn't fly off the hook so easy, but if you shortened the loop it should really speed it up even more wouldn't it?? That would really make it a fast bag.

fedora

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...