• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bag-A-Holic
    • Apr 2011

New 15% Ringside Discount Code

RINGSIDE:

"Order online or call toll free using the following DISCOUNT CODES and receive 15% off your order!!

CALJAN --- For online orders (Apply discount code while viewing your cart)

AND for phone orders (Simply give discount code to your representative) This offer expires on 1/31/13, but can be used as many times as you’d like until then."
    -Anthony

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
      • Apr 2011

Ringside Heritage

So I've recieved and used my new 5 inch Ringside Heritage for a couple weeks now. This bag is now my all time favorite, moving my Cleto Reyes (xs 8x5) into second place.

I've been acquainted to and practiced "traditional" speedbagging in my past, but since coming across "Bible" style speedbagging, have eager to get good at these many new fascinating techniques. One thing that has always forced me to go from a "Bible" style swivel,(ball hook) back to the one I use for "traditional" bagging, a Jim Bradley Swivel, is the speed and amount of force needed to get the bag going.

We'll the point of this post is to say that the Ringside Heritage is a phenomenal bag. (IMO) and has such a bounce/rebound that I don't need much, if any force to keep the speed bag going, in comparison to the other 15 bags I have. This is really helped me improve my Bible Style speed bagging skills, in such a short time, and hope will continue to do so. It looks like my ball hook swivel will be staying on my board more permanently, and thus continue working on Bible style techniques.

This may or may not apply to many, or to larger framed or heavy handed people, where a tap on the bag provides much more force then someone like myself, a smaller framed, light handed person, that requires a harder hit to get and keep the speed bag going. This harder you need to hit, and energy required to do so, takes away from energy and focus needed on the more complicated Bible techniques.

I think the more energy and focus allowed towards the technique, make for better and quicker positive results on such.

The Ringside Heritage allows for this, and is highly recommended.

I own a 5 inch Heritage, and just ordered the 6 inch too.
      Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-11-2013, 06:15 PM.
      -Anthony

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ventanakaz
        so (bag-a-holic) how does the heritage compare to the balazs bag, is the heritage (on top of the pops) over the balazs bag, if so why ?...ralph
        IMO, atleast for me, "performance" wise, the Heritage is better bag. The best I've had, so far. Especially with respect to the bounce/rebound. As I previously mentioned, I am well at the beginning of the learning stages, when it comes to Bible style techniques. The Heritage has a superb rebound action, and does so with so very minimal effort. The importance of this, at least for me, a beginner, is that the more power that is needed to hit the bag to keep it going, takes away from my focus and energy on the actual techniques at hand.

Now for a more experienced Bible style bagger, this may be of no concequence too.

The Jim Bradley Proball, pictured below, has a phenomenal rebound as well, but its smallest size is 25cm. The 25 cm is a much larger bag, almost double the size of the Heritage, which makes it much more difficult to maneuver around, and takes up to much valuable space, at that speed, for Bible style techniques.(at least for a beginner like me)

The Lazer is a much more solid bag, and yeah, takes more effort/energy to hit as well! Now with respect to quality, the Balzaz Lazer seems top notch. A much meatier/heavy and put together speed bag then any bag I've had, and from the looks/feel of it, will withstand the most pounding, and should outlast all bags from a wear and tear aspect. (atleast the ones I've had, with respect to the lifetime of the bag). I've only had the Balaz for a few weeks though, and anything could happen, but that is just my prediction, with respect to its lifetime/durability factor.

*Now really thinking about it more, what concerns me about the Balaz Lazer is that it, as per instructions, is designed to lose air "EACH DAY", and is also very specific to keep the pressure at 5 psi. This will mean, you will need to keep reinserting the air needle to inflate it every time you use it, and then also the air gauge as well to check pressure. I hope this holds up and doesnt spring a leak at the valve from repeatedly having to add air. This may be the bags weak point? The Balaz wasn't designed to have a bladder, that can be changed out, so the whole bag would need to be replaced, once the valve goes or air starts to leak substantially otherwise. Unless you do surgery on it, and then stitch it back up. This may be a less expensive route, if your handy like that, or have a Grandma thats good at sewing/stitching.

To fill and check the air pressure, I would suggest using a 2 in 1 air gauge like pictured below(available on Amazon). This will reduce the amount of times a needle is inserted into the speedbag valve and prolong its valve life. This is of course, if you are using an air pressure gauge for pressure accuracey. If doing it by just feel, then the 2 in 1 gauge is of no consequence.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-12-2013, 10:59 AM.
        -Anthony

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bag-A-Holic View Post
          IMO, atleast for me, "performance" wise, the Heritage is better bag. The best I've had, so far. Especially with respect to the bounce/rebound. As I previously mentioned, I am well at the beginning of the learning stages, when it comes to Bible style techniques. The Heritage has a superb rebound action, and does so with so very minimal effort. The importance of this, at least for me, a beginner, is that the more power that is needed to hit the bag to keep it going, takes away from my focus and energy on the actual techniques at hand.

Now for a more experienced Bible style bagger, this may be of no concequence too.

The Jim Bradley Proball, pictured below, has a phenomenal rebound as well, but its smallest size is 25cm. The 25 cm is a much larger bag, almost double the size of the Heritage, which makes it much more difficult to maneuver around, and takes up to much valuable space, at that speed, for Bible style techniques.(at least for a beginner like me)

The Lazer is a much more solid bag, and yeah, takes more effort/energy to hit as well! Now with respect to quality, the Balzaz Lazer seems top notch. A much meatier/heavy and put together speed bag then any bag I've had, and from the looks/feel of it, will withstand the most pounding, and should outlast all bags from a wear and tear aspect. (atleast the ones I've had, with respect to the lifetime of the bag). I've only had the Balaz for a few weeks though, and anything could happen, but that is just my prediction, with respect to its lifetime/durability factor.

*Now really thinking about it more, what concerns me about the Balaz Lazer is that it, as per instructions, is designed to lose air "EACH DAY", and is also very specific to keep the pressure at 5 psi. This will mean, you will need to keep reinserting the air needle to inflate it every time you use it, and then also the air gauge as well to check pressure. I hope this holds up and doesnt spring a leak at the valve from repeatedly having to add air. This may be the bags weak point? The Balaz wasn't designed to have a bladder, that can be changed out, so the whole bag would need to be replaced, once the valve goes or air starts to leak substantially otherwise. Unless you do surgery on it, and then stitch it back up. This may be a less expensive route, if your handy like that, or have a Grandma thats good at sewing/stitching.

To fill and check the air pressure, I would suggest using a 2 in 1 air gauge like pictured below(available on Amazon). This will reduce the amount of times a needle is inserted into the speedbag valve and prolong its valve life. This is of course, if you are using an air pressure gauge for pressure accuracey. If doing it by just feel, then the 2 in 1 gauge is of no consequence.
          Deano from Australia had brought a bunch of Jim Bradleys to the first Speed Bag gathering 2010, and they all were very lively bags. Amazing fast for their light weight.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            Deano from Australia had brought a bunch of Jim Bradleys to the first Speed Bag gathering 2010, and they all were very lively bags. Amazing fast for their light weight.
            Yes, I saw the video, and they apparently come in really awesome colors too. In the video, I saw a blue and also an orange one. Were there any others colors too? Also, were these colors made especially just for the event,(maybe to stand out)? When I ordered mine directly from J.B in Australia, about 2 years ago, the only color the J.B. pro-ball came in was red, so they said!! or maybe thats all that had left in stock! If I knew about those other colors, I would've definitely waited!
            Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 01-13-2013, 10:24 AM.
            -Anthony

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Yes, I saw the video, and they apparently come in really awesome colors too. In the video, I saw a blue and also an orange one. Were there any others colors too? Also, were these colors made especially just for the event,(maybe to stand out)? When I ordered mine directly from J.B in Australia, about 2 years ago, the only color the J.B. pro-ball came in was red, so they said!! or maybe thats all that had left in stock! If I knew about those other colors, I would've definitely waited!
              I was lucky enough to have been given the light blue one from that gathering. signed by master deano and his dad. I'd say it is closer to 10x7 but fast as an 8x5
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                • Apr 2011

Since the mention of that cool looking blue Jim Bradley, it reminded me that I wanted to call Jim Bradley Co. and ask about the colors they have now, because I could've been certian when I ordered, the lady clearly told me RED only. Also when I inquired, I also wanted to find out what sizes they have because I didn' really want another 25cm. The person that responded to my email was Peter, he said "that they still only carry the 25 or 40cm but that any size can be ordered to size". Now that may be awesome, a 8x5 Jim Bradley? Upon further correspondence, I additionally inquired about the colors, the response was "black, red or a combination of both" My reply was, what about that cool blue and orange I saw in a video at the speedbag I convention. We'll to my surprise the email back claimed that they go to the leathery, once in a "fortnight"(I dont know, that must be Austalian for, once in a while?). Anyhow, I think that is really cool to have a place, with awesome bags I might add, that will make a custom bag any size and colors you want( but may have to wait for a "fortnight" to get the color).

The speedbag he said would be $88.00 AUD(price went down from when I got mine 2 yrs ago) and he didnt mention shipping, but my last order a couple years back was $15AUD
                Attached Files
                -Anthony

Comment

• fedora
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2012

We'll the point of this post is to say that the Ringside Heritage is a phenomenal bag. (IMO) and has such a bounce/rebound that I don't need much, if any force to keep the speed bag going, in comparison to the other 15 bags I have. .
                  Bag-a-holic, I see you also have a Leone 8x5, is it pretty bouncy as well? I have the Leone 9x6 and it has the most rebound per force applied than the other bags I have. How do the 2 compare?

fedora

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by fedora View Post
                    Bag-a-holic, I see you also have a Leone 8x5, is it pretty bouncy as well? I have the Leone 9x6 and it has the most rebound per force applied than the other bags I have. How do the 2 compare?

fedora
                    Heritage has a better bounce, and for me seems better controlled. Heritage has much more solid feel to it when hitting it, even though its a tad(0.1 oz) lighter. Also the Heritage has a thiner belly on it, compared to the ball like bottom of the Leone. I tend to lean towards, and prefer thiner belly bags. I'm not sure if it's just psychological, because the amount of space is rather minimal, but if you only have 180 degrees to work with, the fatter the bag, the less space you have to work with, to get your hands around the bag.
                    -Anthony

Comment

• fedora
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2012

Thanks, I have a Heritage 9x6 on the way. I may have to get the 8x5 as well. I do like my Leone bag though, but I always have to do some re-calibrating with my timing and punching when I put it on.

fedora

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Heritage has a better bounce, and for me seems better controlled. Heritage has much more solid feel to it when hitting it, even though its a tad(0.1 oz) lighter. Also the Heritage has a thiner belly on it, compared to the ball like bottom of the Leone. I tend to lean towards, and prefer thiner belly bags. I'm not sure if it's just psychological, because the amount of space is rather minimal, but if you only have 180 degrees to work with, the fatter the bag, the less space you have to work with, to get your hands around the bag.
                        I can agree with that statement for a simple reason. moving your hand(s) "thru" the bag to different areas almost always happens while the bag is compressing on the board. That is why moving the hand(s) pretty much "straight thru", rather than ducking under, works. Years ago I had a Super VHS Camera (the one I shot my training video with) that had variable shutter speeds, and I could shoot video at 1/60, 1/120, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000 of a second. Basically that meants 60 frames (pictures) per second, up to 1000 frames per second. At 1/000 you could see a golf ball bend in when a driver club hit it. Great for very fast moving action to review later in slow motion, IF you had enough light to film it (high speed shutter demanded a lot more light).

So, I shot a lot of speed bag footage at 1/250, 1/500 and 1/1000. Most of the "slow motion" segments of my teaching videos were shot in 1/250, and I used some at 1/500. I still have 2 or 3 of those S-VHS tapes.

Anyway, Slow motion analysis plainly shows the bag is on the board as the fist moves forward (or back) through the "hitting area" and if done correctly the fist is already out of the bag arc when the bag comes off the board. It really doesn't matter what size bag you use, (I shot lots of high speed shutter video with 9x6, 10x7, 11x8, 12x10 bags) and it worked the same.

BUT.... and here is the point. when a larger, fatter bag is on the board the lower (hand side) of the bag is still further down under the board than a narrow bag, and it is often easier to "catch the hand" on bigger bags. This is the same reason why you cannot pass a fist thru the bag if you hit up at the laces. Your fist will be too high (close to the board) and when it moves straight thru it will hit the lower portion of the bag as it is on the board.

With fatter bags you also have a smaller area to "work with" from rebound to rebound. There is less room to move your hands around when a tear drop shapped 10x12 bag goes front to back, than when a bannana bag (thin) 9x6 goes front to back.

Years ago I would hit for several hours, punching to maybe 5-6 songs on an 11x8, then punch to those same songs on a 9x6 or 8x5, just to see how bag size affected what I did. I found that the timing of my hand movements would automatically change when I went from my fat 11x8 bag to a smaller 8x5. It would take a few punches for my brain to reboot to the timing required.
                        Last edited by Speedbag; 01-26-2013, 05:52 PM.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                          This is the same reason why you cannot pass a fist thru the bag if you hit up at the laces. Your fist will be too high (close to the board) and when it moves straight thru it will hit the lower portion of the bag as it is on the board.
                          This just made me realize something that I should have realized myself You clearly caught me in a previous video pawing the bag and hitting it up by the laces, and I have since been focusing on hitting the belly, but I should have clearly realized this because the one negative thing about the Heritage was that the tough leather laces seemed to hit my fists a bit, and not be so comfortable. HELLO, that should of been my wake up call!!! Now I really like this bag, because it has a training coach built right in. If you drift too high, it lets you know. I just wasn't listening to what the bag was trying to tell me before. "LOWER,LOWER,LOWER"
                          -Anthony

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

This just made me realize something that I should have realized myself You clearly caught me in a previous video pawing the bag and hitting it up by the laces, and I have since been focusing on hitting the belly, but I should have clearly realized this because the one negative thing about the Heritage was that the tough leather laces seemed to hit my fists a bit, and not be so comfortable. HELLO, that should of been my wake up call!!! Now I really like this bag, because it has a training coach built right in. If you drift too high, it lets you know. I just wasn't listening to what the bag was trying to tell me before. "LOWER,LOWER,LOWER"
                            Exactly. When you watch some one hit from the side, Seeing the (1) setup of the bag (belly position), (2) arm position and movement (3) contact point on the bag: are three things to always look for. Anyone of those can cause a control problem with repetitive swing movements and passing thru to other sides. I watched your video numerous times, and saw the up and down pawing action bringing your fist down onto the bag at the lower end of the laces (too high on the bag) time after time.

It is very hard to see that in yourself while you are hitting the bag. You may learn to do this very well, hitting in the triplet rhythm fine for 2-3 minutes. But when you try to do anything else...problems.

and that is much easier to see if the camera is set to side about shoulder level. Creative camera angles underneath and points of view from below upward make this a lot harder to determine.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                              The only negative is the leather lace always seems to come undone after a few minutes of hitting.
                              I took note of this when I got my Heritage 9x6, so I held the laces under the water faucet, being careful not to get water into the inside of the bag, and thoroughly wet them down. Tied them up and pulled loops as hard as I could and after several days of hitting they haven't come undone once. You can also fill up a cup of water, heat it in the microwave and then just dip the laces in and let them soak. I thought about doing the reverse lacing, but I didn't want to mess with it. Wetting them down and tying them seemed to do the trick for me.

BTW, I have been switching back and forth between this bag and my Leone's for several days and I have to admit I am starting to lean more for this bag being my favorite. I think it's kinda like buying a new pair of leather shoes, you have to wear them a while before you really start to feel comfortable in them. I'm starting to think it was worth the money after all.

fedora
                              Last edited by fedora; 01-25-2013, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• fedora
                                Speed Bag Guru
                                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                                hey fedora, so what size do u like better the 5x8 or the 6x9 heritage ?...ralph
                                I only purchased the 9x6. I have the Leone in both sizes though and I just ordered the 8x5 Balazs Lazer. I think that'll end my bag purchases for a while.

fedora

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...