• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Everlast Heavy Bag Stand (Model # 4790)

The Heavy Bag/Speed Bag stand is a good piece of equipment. The heavy bag part of it definitely requires add'l weight (hint: bags of sand are much cheaper than the amount of barbell plates you'll need to keep this thing from moving - I use 200 pounds of bags of sand to keep it in place. I was able to get these for about $2.50 a piece from Home Depot. Also be sure you get a double end heavy bag too (i.e. one with a bottom D-ring), otherwise you'll get too much bag swing. Try to get a heavy bag with a foam liner. Some of the cheaper bags are like punching a rock, which won't do wonders for your workout enthusiasm.

You can also put a true double end light bag on this portion of the unit, which is a nice change of pace from the heavy bag. (The light double end bag is the small inflatable that has two bungees holding it at about chest level and reverberates like mad when you hit it.) It will occasionally smack the center support, which makes a lot of noise, but otherwise has no ill effects.

The speed bag platform is a bit flimsy, especially on the earlier versions of this model where the "drum" or rebound board is two pieces (the latest versions of this model use a single piece drum). If you become moderately proficient at the speed bag in any amount of time you'll outgrow this aspect of the unit. Part of the problem is that the single vertical pole to which the speedbag drum attaches will flex when you get the bag moving really fast, and that can throw off your timing. Use the smallest size speed bag possible to minimize this inertia. Lastly, the speed bag platform doesn't really adjust high enough for people over 6'2" in height, and if you're over 6'1" or so you're going to need to use a small or xtra small speed bag to have it hang at the correct height (i.e. belly of bag at mouth/chin level).

Pictures of this equipment in my home gym

Order from Amazon.com and support the existence of this web site (Disclaimer: This link contains my Amazon affiliate code. If you purchase from this link a small payment is made to me to help support the cost of running this site).

Last edited by Tim; 01-16-2006, 09:14 AM.
  • JERSEY KID
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2007

Here is my set up for my heavy bag/speedbag it is also the Everlast stand but tubular steel style. Stand is probably a newer style from what Tim has but also requires added weight at base when you hit the heavy bag. I oppted to put mine on the back half of the covered patio. They have these at Sports Authority at close-out price as of now ($99.00) The drum head is a
    24" one piece, all pieces bolt together and has a powder coated finish that won't rust. It will hold up to a 100lb heavy bag the only down side to this is the speed bag is attached to the same tubular pole as the heavy bag so the weight of the Heavy Bag leans in so as the speedbag drum is now not perpendiculer to the stand as seen in photo.

Last edited by JERSEY KID; 06-02-2007, 11:38 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by JERSEY KID View Post
      .. the only down side to this is the speed bag is attached to the same tubular pole as the heavy bag so the weight of the Heavy Bag leans in so as the speedbag drum is now not perpendiculer to the stand as seen in photo.

The pole does lean noticeable away from the speed bag. I wonder if making a bottom table rest underneath the heavybag would help. Put a table or something under the bag that is about 3 inches higher than the bottom of the heavybag. Set the bottom of the heavybag up on the table top and it would take a lot of the weight off the pole - and perhaps not bend it to the point that it angles your rebound board.

just a thought.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• hanoncs
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Aug 2009

Help

Has anyone bought an everlast heavy bag/speed bag stand from sports authority's website? Im going to buy one(Gift Certifercate) and the description says it's the version with 4 post's and angle adjustable speed bag (TOP PICTURES)but the picture is the tubular 3 post version(BOTTOM PICTURES). Please help

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by hanoncs View Post
          Has anyone bought an everlast heavy bag/speed bag stand from sports authority's website? Im going to buy one(Gift Certifercate) and the description says it's the version with 4 post's and angle adjustable speed bag (TOP PICTURES)but the picture is the tubular 3 post version(BOTTOM PICTURES). Please help
          I've not seen the angle adjustable model anywhere in quite some time, but who knows maybe they still have some in the warehouse?

Comment

• MichaelJones
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Nov 2019

How relevant is this topic? I choose such equipment for my home gym. So far, the best I've found https://gymequipmentcenter.com/best-heavy-bag-stand/. If someone uses a stand like that, share your opinion

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...