• Show
Clear All
  • forthaney
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2007

Pro swivel review from a newbie

I just got the pro swivel today

this one http://store.titleboxing.com/dps-ez.html

I was not very impressed with the build quality. I am a bit of a perfectionist though.

The rotation was off balance which was due to the bearing not beeing completely seated. Also, the bearing was binding up.

The holes in the loop that holds the bag are way to large for the pin that slides through them into the main body.

The final finish along the areas of the loop and main body had rough grind marks as well as burrs that caused the action to get bound up.

So off to home depot for some fixes. On my way there, I thought am I beeing to picky??? My answer was no, because I could have bought a $10 everlast plastic swivel if I didn't care that much.

Well I am happy to say that I was able to retool the swivel into what I imagined it would have been.

I purchased a 1/8" ID X 2" long brass nipple, a 7mm washer, and a spring push clip.

First I dissambled the entire swivel, and using a dremmel tool, I ground smooth all areas that moved against each other.

I then drilled out the holes in the loop to 3/8" to accept the new brass bushings I fabricated from the brass nipple.

I ground and cleaned the area of the base so that the bearing would seat flush. I also noticed that the bearing would move freely when I removed it but would bind again once installed. This was caused by the tight fit between the bearing and the base. So a litte Dremmel tool to the base to enlarge the opening and now a slightly loose fit allows the bearing to spin much more freely.

Final Assemble included; the addition of the brass bushings to tighten the fit of the loop on the attachment pin. And the addition of the 7mm washer directly next to the new spring push pin which replaces the old included cotter pin. The washer acts as a bearing surface between the loop and the push pin.

When I get my platform up I'll take some detailed photos of the swivel "If anyone want to see what I did"
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by forthaney View Post
    I just got the pro swivel today

this one http://store.titleboxing.com/dps-ez.html

I was not very impressed with the build quality. I am a bit of a perfectionist though.

The rotation was off balance which was due to the bearing not beeing completely seated. Also, the bearing was binding up.

The holes in the loop that holds the bag are way to large for the pin that slides through them into the main body.

The final finish along the areas of the loop and main body had rough grind marks as well as burrs that caused the action to get bound up.

So off to home depot for some fixes. On my way there, I thought am I beeing to picky??? My answer was no, because I could have bought a $10 everlast plastic swivel if I didn't care that much.

Well I am happy to say that I was able to retool the swivel into what I imagined it would have been.

I purchased a 1/8" ID X 2" long brass nipple, a 7mm washer, and a spring push clip.

First I dissambled the entire swivel, and using a dremmel tool, I ground smooth all areas that moved against each other.

I then drilled out the holes in the loop to 3/8" to accept the new brass bushings I fabricated from the brass nipple.

I ground and cleaned the area of the base so that the bearing would seat flush. I also noticed that the bearing would move freely when I removed it but would bind again once installed. This was caused by the tight fit between the bearing and the base. So a litte Dremmel tool to the base to enlarge the opening and now a slightly loose fit allows the bearing to spin much more freely.

Final Assemble included; the addition of the brass bushings to tighten the fit of the loop on the attachment pin. And the addition of the 7mm washer directly next to the new spring push pin which replaces the old included cotter pin. The washer acts as a bearing surface between the loop and the push pin.

When I get my platform up I'll take some detailed photos of the swivel "If anyone want to see what I did"
    Hopefully you took pictures of each stage, taking it apart, each fix inside, and the re-assembly. I haven't been very impressed with it either and have often wished it could have a smoother action.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• forthaney
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Apr 2007

No Im sorry to say that I didn't take the photos of each stage. But the fixes are such that current photos would be able to show what I did.

Also I was reading some post you made in other sites and liked this swivel you mentioned at this site. the third item down

I called to find out if they still sell them. I don't know who I spoke with but He informed me that they were getting a big shipment in this week. Also, the design was changed a little to make the ball part of the swivel replacable.
      Well I ordered one since he was so nice and i was a little dissapointed with the pro swivel.

I'll post my impressions when I get the all steel ball swivel. But I must say that I am happy with my fix to the pro swivel.

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

I got one like that from Title once and I returned it and my second one was perfect. Sounds like you got a bad one too.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by forthaney View Post
          No Im sorry to say that I didn't take the photos of each stage. But the fixes are such that current photos would be able to show what I did.

Also I was reading some post you made in other sites and liked this swivel you mentioned at this site. the third item down

I called to find out if they still sell them. I don't know who I spoke with but He informed me that they were getting a big shipment in this week. Also, the design was changed a little to make the ball part of the swivel replacable.
          Well I ordered one since he was so nice and i was a little dissapointed with the pro swivel.

I'll post my impressions when I get the all steel ball swivel. But I must say that I am happy with my fix to the pro swivel.
          Good luck on the metal Ballhook from www.fitness-equipment.com. Other members have contacted them with similiar stories and I don't remember anyone here posting they ever got the swivel they picture. Seems like the answer is "...there's a shipment coming in real soon....". Maybe I'm wrong but they ought to take their product pictures offline until they can deliver the goods.

Hope you get one.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• forthaney
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            Good luck on the metal Ballhook from www.fitness-equipment.com. Other members have contacted them with similiar stories and I don't remember anyone here posting they ever got the swivel they picture. Seems like the answer is "...there's a shipment coming in real soon....". Maybe I'm wrong but they ought to take their product pictures offline until they can deliver the goods.

Hope you get one.
            Wow I am not happy to hear that. Well its to late. I ordered it so we'll see how it works out.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...