X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crapshoot
    • Apr 2010

Some thoughts from a new user

Admittedly, I have only been using my equipment a short while (and by the way I think I qualified for my chopper license ) but here are my thoughts. First off, I am not a fan of the carabiner on the ball hook or, I suspect, on anything but a key chain. Not only does it make it difficult to change bags (first you have to wrestle the loop past the hinged part to get it on but then you have to wrestle the hinged part back). And, the carabiner can flip over sideways way too easy.

On the up side, I like all the bags (Century 10" and 4 Everlasts (Elite M, Everhide S, 4214 M, and red vinyl L) even though the Everhide started on a sour note. Maybe I haven't hit them long enough, but I really like the "heft" of the leather bags. They haven't hurt my dainty little librarian hands at all, but that could change with longer sessions.

More later.
  • RenoRattler
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
    Admittedly, I have only been using my equipment a short while (and by the way I think I qualified for my chopper license ) but here are my thoughts. First off, I am not a fan of the carabiner on the ball hook or, I suspect, on anything but a key chain. Not only does it make it difficult to change bags (first you have to wrestle the loop past the hinged part to get it on but then you have to wrestle the hinged part back). And, the carabiner can flip over sideways way too easy.

On the up side, I like all the bags (Century 10" and 4 Everlasts (Elite M, Everhide S, 4214 M, and red vinyl L) even though the Everhide started on a sour note. Maybe I haven't hit them long enough, but I really like the "heft" of the leather bags. They haven't hurt my dainty little librarian hands at all, but that could change with longer sessions.

More later.
    I think an S-hook on a ball hook swivel is definitely the easiest to switch bags out, and if you wrap it with some velcro you don't have to worry about the bag flying off and giving you a black eye.....(whoops!)

But I don't think the carabiners are bad. I think they protect from the bag flying off very well obviously. And I think they still give you the full versatility of a ball hook setup.

And on hitting different and new bags. Always give them plenty of time. Especially when you are starting out. My two favorite bags I hated when I first got them. It took me months to like my Everlast 9x6, and it took at least a couple of weeks of solid hitting to get into the 6x4 yellow and black. Which is now my favorite bag.

The more bags you learn to hit on, the better you will be. Tim and Spin both told me that, and it has proven immensely true. Learning to adjust to the different sizes, speeds, and force necessary for different bags really teaches you control. And control is the key to the speed bag.

And the younger you are in your pursuit of the speed bag, the less you know about what you like. The more you hit, the more aware of your preferences you will be.

Bags up!

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Speed bags are lot people. Each has it's own personality and reaction. Not all of each Brand, size or color are equal or predictable. Some you like instantly and some will have to grow on you over time. Some you will learn to love, while others you will be glad to see gone. But all demand a bit of respect for they could not chose their maker and are only looking for a pair of hands to call their own. Some are lucky and find it, other will not.

Philosophical, perhaps - but I did not create it. I have a gaggle of speed bags myself, and I've heard them talking about it amongst themselves late at night when they think no one is listening. Little do they know that my voice activated camera catches all....
      Last edited by Speedbag; 07-11-2010, 04:58 PM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...