• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

My Lifetime In Sports -- George A. Barton

This book review sounds interesting:

"...There also was a wonderful man named George A. Barton....

When is the last time you heard of a boxer making money by demonstrating his skill at punching the speed bag? Barton did.it. Barton explains in his book My Lifetime in Sports "I (He) mastered every conceivable trick of punching ........two, three, four and five bags simultaneously......which brought me considerable income. I gave exhibitions at variety theaters (actually beer halls) in St. Paul and Minneapolis, county fairs, street carnivals, lodge smokers and other places.

Review is on this page:

Boxing fans across the nation will have a ringside seat when Fathom Events, Golden Boy Promotions and Canelo Promotions bring the highly-anticipated 12-round
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
    This book review sounds interesting:

"...There also was a wonderful man named George A. Barton....

When is the last time you heard of a boxer making money by demonstrating his skill at punching the speed bag? Barton did.it. Barton explains in his book My Lifetime in Sports "I (He) mastered every conceivable trick of punching ........two, three, four and five bags simultaneously......which brought me considerable income. I gave exhibitions at variety theaters (actually beer halls) in St. Paul and Minneapolis, county fairs, street carnivals, lodge smokers and other places.

Review is on this page:

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=24229&more=1
    Too bad there is no footage! Those early baggers in Vaudeville did some pretty amazing demonstrations. The history surrounding the speed bag gets more and more fascinating.

Says he: I mastered "every conceivable trick of punching".

Wait till he gets a load of Skunk. They might show each other a thing or two.

Thanks for the link. It's a pretty cool story.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
    Working...