• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanoncs
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2009

Help, Need Opinion's on Century Heavy Bag/Speed Bag Stand

Im thinking about buying Century Heavy Bag/Speed Bag Stand, But I just wanted to see if they were junk. No one around me sells the Everlast HB/SB Stand. I purchased the Everlast one from SportsAuthority.com but UPS damaged it after it got to my city. I had to wait 5 days for them to ship it back to the warehouse. Now I have to wait 7-10 days for the warehouse to processes it, Then I have to wait 7- 10 more days for my card to be refunded. Soo i'm done with shipping.............Basically I need peoples opinion on the century stand.
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

ive only hit it in the stores and i find that its not a choice for the speed bag...when hitting the bag it generates alot of vibration and it just seem the only absorption is making the whole platform shake making it harder to hit... that may improve with added weight but the consensus hear is wall mounted platforms are the best...but if u cant do that a free stand platform is gonna be better than nothing!
    ________
    Volcano Vaporizer
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:53 AM.

Comment

• hanoncs
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Aug 2009

Yeah, I know wall mount's are the best, but I just can't do that right now.

Comment

• crawforde
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jul 2009

I have one

I have a century bag stand, with an Everlast 60lb bag, and an Everlast durahyde speedbag that I will let go cheap if you can pick it up in South Florida. I managed to get it working to my satisfaction after some experimenting by putting sandbags on the metal base plus one on the platform, and attaching it to the floor with tapcons. I also put a 2x4 between the speedbag platform and the ceiling. If I spent half as much time hitting it as messing with it....
        Overall it worked fine, but my wall mounted speedbag platform is much more stable and adjustable, and I really like hanging the long MMA style heavybags from the ceiling (they flex a lot as well as cushion to absorb impact, and I like the way they swing).
        Good luck

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

I had a Century stand for a couple of years and eventually got tired of it. For the speed bag it wasn't stable enough, for the heavy bag it hung too low and I couldn't bolt it to the floor to keep it from sliding when I hit the heavy bag, rubber mats underneath and about 250 lbs of weight, helped. When I first started out it was cool cuz I was new to everything, but over time, the efforts to stabalize it and the room it took up were just frustrating. If you can, go with a wall mounted platform. Everlast sells a really nice one that's adjustable and I think might be on sale for under $120. Hang the heavy bag from the ceiling. I think it would be worth the wait to get a decent wall mount now than be frustrated with the stand. Unless the space you're using doesn't allow for it, go wall mounted. I've never tried the Everlast stand. Again, my issue with the Century stand was always stabalization too much vibration and the heavy bag hanging too low and room. Also if you live in an apartment, that in itself will be an issue. If you have to go with the stand, keep these things in mind.
          Last edited by metaldad; 08-14-2009, 08:04 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

• hanoncs
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Aug 2009

Yeah, I can't do a wall mount at all righ now. Basically i'm just wondering if it's ok for a complete speed bag beginner.

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by hanoncs View Post
              Yeah, I can't do a wall mount at all righ now. Basically i'm just wondering if it's ok for a complete speed bag beginner.
              Yes it is good for a beginner. Just as you get better at it you Will start to seriously want to upgrade. Do you have Dick's, Sport's Authority or Play It Again Sports in your area? These stands can be found at these stores. Even Wal-Mart and Sam's Club has had stands. I know I've also seen the Everlast at a couple of these locations so if you do find one then that's no more shipping woes. Good luck. Keep us posted. When you do make the purchase and set it up, there some old posts here in the forum about stabalizing.
              sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                Yes it is good for a beginner. Just as you get better at it you Will start to seriously want to upgrade. Do you have Dick's, Sport's Authority or Play It Again Sports in your area? These stands can be found at these stores. Even Wal-Mart and Sam's Club has had stands. I know I've also seen the Everlast at a couple of these locations so if you do find one then that's no more shipping woes. Good luck. Keep us posted. When you do make the purchase and set it up, there some old posts here in the forum about stabalizing.
                Adding at least on strap attachment from the board area to the floor will really help to reduce the sway of the single vertical pole. Maybe you can attach it to the board metal brackets on top somehow.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Yes, it will work. Here's me on a freestanding unit. Notice the sway.

It's not ideal but if that is all you've can do , IT'S BETTER THAN NOTHING !!!!

Comment

• hanoncs
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Aug 2009

OK, New update I stayed up late saturday night serching a little site called craigslist.com. I found a treasure. A three station Everlast stand with bags(In title catalog $399.99 plus $65.00 shipping.) And leather Everlast training gloves, And on top of all that everything was brand new. He bought it for his son who wasn't interested. All for $100.00 It came with the angle adjustable drum and an Everlast chain link style swivel. I have no clue what style the bags are, They are all Everlast, If anyone remembers the names please let me know.This thing is a beast, Only 2" from my ceiling.
                    Last edited by hanoncs; 08-17-2009, 04:08 AM.

Comment

• hanoncs
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Aug 2009

Last edited by hanoncs; 08-17-2009, 04:01 AM.

Comment

• metaldad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2007

OK, New update I stayed up late saturday night serching a little site called craigslist.com. I found a treasure. A three station Everlast stand with bags(In title catalog $399.99 plus $65.00 shipping.) And leather Everlast training gloves, And on top of all that everything was brand new. He bought it for his son who wasn't interested. All for $100.00 It came with the angle adjustable drum and an Everlast chain link style swivel. I have no clue what style the bags are, They are all Everlast, If anyone remembers the names please let me know.This thing is a beast, Only 2" from my ceiling.
                        Saw the pictures and for $100 YOU GOT YOURSELF A DEAL THERE Hopefully keeping it from vibrating won't be too much of an issue for you, but something is telling me that this particular stand might have a bit more stability than most. Plus you got the bags and gloves? Nice.Ihave seen that model in the catalog and it is pricey without everything, heck, the Century stand costs almost $200 brand new, no bags or gloves! I don't know the exact names of the bags. They look like what SpeedBag Skunk uses. I think Tim has those same bags as well. Great find ! Good luck with it and stay motivated!
                        sigpic

Comment

• hanoncs
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Aug 2009

Thank you METALDAD, This thing is great, Almost no vibration without weight. OK new problem, The speeb bag is lopsided and when I start it goes crazy. Can I jus take the air out of the bag and reposition the bladder? Or do I need to buy a new one?
                          Last edited by hanoncs; 08-17-2009, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Kaju Dog
                            • Jul 2009

Thank you METALDAD, This thing is great, Almost no vibration without weight. OK new problem, The speeb bag is lopsided and when I start it goes crazy. Can I jus take the air out of the bag and reposition the bladder? Or do I need to buy a new one?
                            Woof Hanoncs,

Check out the thread below. Great discussion on how to approach your SB concern.

PS
                            Nice set up, thanks for sharing.

KD

Comment

• Tim
                              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

OK, New update I stayed up late saturday night serching a little site called craigslist.com.
                              Sounds like a great deal. Gotta love Craigslist. If it was local , no shipping, no sales tax, and a healthy discount !

RE the lopsided bag ... The bag in the picture should be a quality bag, I've hit on a few like that, as recently as this past weekend. You may want to get a Title bag for comparison's sake, or a replacement Everlast bag.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...