• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dougmn
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2009

Balazs vs. Everlast platform

I used to work out on a Balazs wall-mounted adjustable platform at my gym, but they took it out when the ownership changed. I've looked everywhere for a gym that has a decent bag and just can't find one, so I want to get one for my garage. What do people recommend with Balazs vs. Everlast? And does anyone discount these things? I can't believe how much they cost new.

I'll need soundproofing as well and from the forum, it looks like sandbags do a lot of that. Any other suggestions for keeping the neighbors (and my wife) from complaining about the noise?

And finally, which bag is preferred? I've seen the leather straps at the top rip off fairly frequently and popped a few bladders myself, so something durable but fast would be great. Thanks...
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by dougmn View Post
    I used to work out on a Balazs wall-mounted adjustable platform at my gym, but they took it out when the ownership changed. I've looked everywhere for a gym that has a decent bag and just can't find one, so I want to get one for my garage. What do people recommend with Balazs vs. Everlast? And does anyone discount these things? I can't believe how much they cost new.
    Which everlast model specifically? I can tell you anything can be had for the cheapest either used (ebay/craigslist) or from an internet vendor (titleboxing, etc.). Last choice is new from a retail store. You should also check out Play It Again Sams chain, if you have one near you.

I'll need soundproofing as well and from the forum, it looks like sandbags do a lot of that. Any other suggestions for keeping the neighbors (and my wife) from complaining about the noise?
    Is this a house or apartment? What kind of wall? Wood, brick, etc?

And finally, which bag is preferred? I've seen the leather straps at the top rip off fairly frequently and popped a few bladders myself, so something durable but fast would be great. Thanks...
    Titleboxing.com carries some excellent bags. My all around favorites are these, they are good, cheap, and durable. More $$$$ does not always mean better !!!

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

what bags did you see this on? Almost every bag I've gotten in the last two year (about 10 from a couple of manufacturers) have big thick wide bag loops that can barely fit on a swivel, let alone rip. From what I've seen, Everlast models still have the smallest, most narrow bag loops. My Title bags, love them as I do, are almost impossible to get into the newer smaller "S" hook shapes. And forget about getting them off.
      A few months ago a good bagger friend of mine was over and we were laughing that we got nearly 60 years on bags between us, and it took the two of us over 30 minutes to get a bag on an S hook. What a friggin pain. Then it hit for crap and we couldn't get it off.

Last edited by Speedbag; 03-04-2009, 07:23 PM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Whippet
        • Nov 2008

The Balazs I-Box unit goes for about 225 - very, very solid unit and is adjustable as well. Customer service is top-notch too.
        There are a lot of Everlast units out there as well - home-made unit too. Which models are you looking at?
        I am one of those MMA types - my hands hit everything from ribs to heads, but I have yet to tear any speed bag from the swivel. I HIGHLY recommend The Speed Bag Bible; you won't find many here who wouldn't. That book and video channels the gorilla in all of us. It is amazing to see how quickly guys - and gals too - have gone from beginner to impressive bagger in a short period of time.

Comment

• dougmn
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2009

More about platforms

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          Which everlast model specifically? I can tell you anything can be had for the cheapest either used (ebay/craigslist) or from an internet vendor (titleboxing, etc.). Last choice is new from a retail store. You should also check out Play It Again Sams chain, if you have one near you.

I'm looking at the Everlast adjustable pro model Evpsbp. Haven't had much luck with Craig's list or eBay so far, but did find one at Sportsmith for $200 off the normal $999 price.

Is this a house or apartment? What kind of wall? Wood, brick, etc?

I'm putting it in my garage, which has standard wood/sheetrock walls.

Titleboxing.com carries some excellent bags. My all around favorites are these, they are good, cheap, and durable. More $$$$ does not always mean better !!!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          what bags did you see this on? Almost every bag I've gotten in the last two year (about 10 from a couple of manufacturers) have big thick wide bag loops that can barely fit on a swivel, let alone rip. From what I've seen, Everlast models still have the smallest, most narrow bag loops. My Title bags, love them as I do, are almost impossible to get into the newer smaller "S" hook shapes. And forget about getting them off.
          A few months ago a good bagger friend of mine was over and we were laughing that we got nearly 60 years on bags between us, and it took the two of us over 30 minutes to get a bag on and S hook. What a friggin pain. Then it hit for crap and we couldn't get it off.

Yeah, it was an Everlast red leather bag. Don't know the specific model, but it had laces down from the top and felt kind of fat to me. To be fair, that was a few years ago, so maybe I'm misremembering the bag and brand. I just remember punching through it one time and it flying off to the back wall and bouncing back to hit me. Are the Title bags comparable to Everlast? Also... any thoughts on swivels? Is the one it comes with good enough?

Thanks for your help...
          Last edited by dougmn; 01-31-2009, 08:09 PM. Reason: bad formatting

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            A few months ago a good bagger friend of mine was over and we were laughing that we got nearly 60 years on bags between us, and it took the two of us over 30 minutes to get a bag on and S hook. What a friggin pain. Then it hit for crap and we couldn't get it off.

I have a pair of decent sized needle nose pliers by my board that really helps getting the bigger straps on to the older, smaller S hook. You need to squeeze, crunch, twist and pull, but eventually it gets in there! It's funny though because my X-small Ringside bag has an enormous strap that, when finally wedged into the S hook, still sits unevenly?? It's as if they thought King Kong was going to be the only one interested in this bag! I'll probably need to cut some leather off the strap to have fun with it. It's fast and well balanced but the strap is throwing it off center.
            Same with the Title 8X5. Not as bad, but still a bit of a "thing" to get on...
            They should all keep the straps the same size as Everlast and just reinforce via extra leather or extra stitching inside where the strap connects to bag!
            Has anyone notice how the straps and shoulder straps and connections on duffel bags have gotten more attention paid to the stitching and longevity over the past 10 or so years????
            BAG ON!

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
              I have a pair of decent sized needle nose pliers by my board that really helps getting the bigger straps on to the older, smaller S hook. You need to squeeze, crunch, twist and pull, but eventually it gets in there!

BAG ON!
              I do the same thing. Several pairs of pliers. I have even tied string around the bag strap and tied it really tight in an attempt to make the straps thinner. Of course the easier fix would be to just make the S hook a bit bigger with a bit larger opening. Not LONGER, just a bit bigger at the bottom.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

I'm looking at the Everlast adjustable pro model Evpsbp. Haven't had much luck with Craig's list or eBay so far, but did find one at Sportsmith for $200 off the normal $999 price.

I've not seen one of those up close, but for the price it's gotta be rock solid. It would still probably benefit from some weight on top and keep in mind the smaller the bag you use, the less noise. A plastic ball hook swivel would help keep the noise down as well.

I'm putting it in my garage, which has standard wood/sheetrock walls.
                If you can mount it on a wall away from other interior rooms, if you really want to keep the noise down.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

. Are the Title bags comparable to Everlast?

I use both and hold both in high regard.

Also... any thoughts on swivels? Is the one it comes with good enough?
                  I believe that platform comes with the pro swivel, which certainly will work fine. Many advanced punchers prefer the ball hook because it will react better when punching from the side or back of the bag. If you never intend to do any of that, you should be fine.

Comment

• whiptats
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Dec 2008

I had a Pro Mex bag with a wide strap so I trimmed it down with an Exacto knife...it's leather.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Man, I love the Lonsdale Small, the Blue and White. The quality is awesome, but it does take a little extra to keep it moving fast.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Anyone have any luck finding a Lonsdale Authentic Peanut in the US? I almost ordered one from Sugar Ray's, but couldn't handle paying almost as much shipping as the bag itself costs. Maybe these can't be found stateside?

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by aad03 View Post
                          Anyone have any luck finding a Lonsdale Authentic Peanut in the US? I almost ordered one from Sugar Ray's, but couldn't handle paying almost as much shipping as the bag itself costs. Maybe these can't be found stateside?
                          I'm not aware of a cheap way to order one here in the states. If you figure it out though, let me know. I would love to have one. What if we bought 10 of them and had them shipped to one address here in the states, would the shipping be worth it then? Then somebody could distribute them? We'd be splitting the shipping costs that way

Anyone want to get in on that ?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...