• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • riqal
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2006

Ringside speedbag review

The ringside speedbag http://ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25256 is a good bag. I was pretty pissed at first when I tried to put it on the everlast chainlink swivel - the loop was way too wide. It was too wide for the ringside chainlink as well. I was finally able to get it to fit (very frustrating), but anyone who has put a wide-looped bag on a chainlink knows that it messes with the movement of the links. It did, however, hit pretty nice on the chainlink, but I decided to change over to the plastic ballhook - on which the bag fit nice and snug.

Ok, so the bag is well made and the leather is very smooth and soft - easy on the hands. It is a light bag, but not too light to where it feels like hitting air. it feels very nice to hit. Moves fast and very accurate rebounds.

From Tim's bag comparison, you see that his ringside 8 x 5 is smaller than normal. Mine is a 9 x 6, and it is taller than both my 9 x 6 everlast bags but much skinnier. So who knows what is going on with the sizes of bags.

Right now these bags are on special for 24.99. You guys need to place your orders because it is worth it. I will post pics when I get a chance.
    Last edited by riqal; 12-14-2008, 08:09 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by riqal View Post
    The ringside speedbag http://ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25256 is a good bag. I was pretty pissed at first when I tried to put it on the everlast chainlink swivel - the loop was way too wide. It was too wide for the ringside chainlink as well. I was finally able to get it to fit (very frustrating), but anyone who has put a wide-looped bag on a chainlink knows that it messes with the movement of the links. It did, however, hit pretty nice on the chainlink, but I decided to change over to the plastic ballhook - on which the bag fit nice and snug.

Ok, so the bag is well made and the leather is very smooth and soft - easy on the hands. It is a light bag, but not too light to where it feels like hitting air. it feels very nice to hit. Moves fast and very accurate rebounds.

From Tim's bag comparison, you see that his ringside 8 x 5 is smaller than normal. Mine is a 9 x 6, and it is taller than both my 9 x 6 everlast bags but much skinnier. So who knows what is going on with the sizes of bags.
    What's going on with speed bag is someones idea of Progress and Price. Bag Materials, shapes and manufacturing methods are constantly changing and the proof is in comparing a bag of "today" with one from 10 or 20 years ago.

I wish I could say quality is the standard for change, but I honestly believe it's price. I believe cheaper materials and cheaper manufacturing costs drive the market. Real leather has dropped to less expensive synthetics, Man made finishing touches have dropped to machine stamped out patterns and virtually all of this has gone overseas to 3rd party producers. I'm not sure why bag shapes have changed from the lower, fatter tear drop shape to the longer leaner (called mexican style) bananna shape, but I'm just going to believe it's cheaper to make them that way. Ringside told me a few years ago they changed to that because it was the "more popular style". Some how, I just believe they are cheaper to make and profits increased. The belly of the bag is Lower on the tear drop shaped bag, and I personally prefer that as well as the rebound action of the fatter bag.

Bag loops have changed from short thin strips of material to long, wide, thick straps. The thickness probably adds strength. Many of the newer swivels (U-Bolt and wide links) allow for the bigger, wider strap, but the hook of ballhooks are getting smaller. The longer strap length drains bag speed because it creates a longer rebound arc.

I attribute it all to cheaper materials and higher profits.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 12-18-2008, 12:06 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      What's going on with speed bag is someones idea of Progress and Price. Bag Materials, shapes and manufacturing methods are constantly changing and the proof is in comparing a bag of "today" with one from 10 or 20 years ago.

I wish I could say quality is the standard for change, but I honestly believe it's price. I believe cheaper materials and cheaper manufacturing costs drive the market. Real leather has dropped to less expensive synthetics, Man made finishing touches have dropped to machine stamped out patterns and virtually all of this has gone overseas to 3rd party producers. I'm not sure why bag shapes have changed from the lower, fatter tear drop shape to the longer leaner (called mexican style) bananna shape, but I'm just going to believe it's cheaper to make them that way. Ringside told me a few years ago they changed to that because it was the "more popular style". Some how, I just believe they are cheaper to make and profits increased. The belly of the bag is Lower on the tear drop shaped bag, and I personally prefer that as well as the rebound action of the fatter bag.

Bag loops have changed from short thin strips of material to long, wide, thick straps. The thickness probably adds strength. Many of the newer swivels (U-Bolt and wide links) allow for the bigger, wider strap, but the hook of ballhooks are getting smaller. The longer strap length drains bag speed because it creates a longer rebound arc.

I attribute it all to cheaper materials and higher profits.
      couldnt agree more. almost everything is money driven now a days and its disappointing.
      ________
      VAPORIZERS WHICH IS BEST
      Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• riqal
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Aug 2006

Are not most bags on the market tear-drop shaped? Also, it seems that the cheaper materials and labor costs would be much more of a factor than the shape of the bag - which seems almost negligible. If leather is being replaced, then why are most bags advertised as geniune leather? Are they lying? The tear drop shapes are nice to hit, but I can certainly understand the popularity of the bananna shaped bags - they are attractive as well as pleasing to hit, especially with the double-fist rolling technique.

Comment

• ExEODCDR
          • Apr 2011

Joining the conversation late...

Originally posted by riqal View Post
          Are not most bags on the market tear-drop shaped? Also, it seems that the cheaper materials and labor costs would be much more of a factor than the shape of the bag - which seems almost negligible. If leather is being replaced, then why are most bags advertised as geniune leather? Are they lying? The tear drop shapes are nice to hit, but I can certainly understand the popularity of the bananna shaped bags - they are attractive as well as pleasing to hit, especially with the double-fist rolling technique.
          ...I agree about quality versus $$ -- I'm new to speedbagging and I'm researching tons of different bags to see what's out there and what might work. Price ranges are all over for various materials -- what is genuine synthetic leather anyway???

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and posts on the bags. I want real, durable leather to hit, and a quality made bag. Aside from the bladders the bags should last forever, no? I talked to RP65 the other day and he was a real help! Gonna get a Ringside and probably a tricolor Cleto when he gets more of those in...
          -
          Owner/Operator
          www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by ExEODCDR View Post
            Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and posts on the bags. I want real, durable leather to hit, and a quality made bag. Aside from the bladders the bags should last forever, no?
            Bladder and valve failures are certainly the most common problem. I've also had seams split and worn spots in panels that become rips that keep growing. Indeed a good bag will last a long, long time. I've been punching alot since 2005 and of the 40+ bags I've owned in that timeframe I've only had 2 go bad on me.

I talked to RP65 the other day and he was a real help! Gonna get a Ringside and probably a tricolor Cleto when he gets more of those in...
            Both are great bags, you will enjoy them

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...