• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zgoldwing
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2009

New member. Question

I have been bagging it since I was 17 or 18. Dad taught me on a big (14-maybe 16" tall) tan bag is all I remember. I blew that one and replaced it with a similar Everlast dark lavender colored bag. Very heavy bags as I recall. Anyway in more recent decades I think I used the 4210 and most recently the 4201 (10x7). I want to try a 9x6, not a drastic change. I'd like to try another brand though and aren't familiar with sizes relative to Everlast. Some brands say small is 9x6 and yet I have read it really is closer to 5x8...

I don't know if this can be answered but it would prevent great frustration if I ordered the wrong bag size. It seems that Cleto Reyes, Grant, Title,Top Contender and Pro Mex are the popular brands. Basically, what are the respective models for each brand equivalent in size to an Everlast 4200 6x9 bag?

Thanks very much,
    Z

BTW Great Site. who woulda figured a speed bag forum and site!

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

[QUOTE

I had a neighbor over in the garage just yesterday , he asks "Do you really need that many speed bags" and I had to answer "umm, not really, but I like to collect them!"[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've got a small collection of old school bags, but apparently there are other people that have started collecting them now also. It's getting tougher to find the bargains there once were on the Hutch's, J. C. Higgins, Wilsons, Spauldings etc. that show up on eBay.

Comment

• The Baggist
        Vert Baggin' Master
        • May 2009

Originally posted by zgoldwing View Post
        I have been bagging it since I was 17 or 18. Dad taught me on a big (14-maybe 16" tall) tan bag is all I remember. I blew that one and replaced it with a similar Everlast dark lavender colored bag. Very heavy bags as I recall. Anyway in more recent decades I think I used the 4210 and most recently the 4201 (10x7). I want to try a 9x6, not a drastic change. I'd like to try another brand though and aren't familiar with sizes relative to Everlast. Some brands say small is 9x6 and yet I have read it really is closer to 5x8...

I don't know if this can be answered but it would prevent great frustration if I ordered the wrong bag size. It seems that Cleto Reyes, Grant, Title,Top Contender and Pro Mex are the popular brands. Basically, what are the respective models for each brand equivalent in size to an Everlast 4200 6x9 bag?

Thanks very much,
        Z

BTW Great Site. who woulda figured a speed bag forum and site!
        Welcome to the forum ZGOLDWING. I just bought the Pro Mex 10x7, The bag is built rather well. It runs very small, they say it is a 10x7 but it is actually smaller than an Everlast 8x5! It is also very sluggish for its size. If you prefer a more lively larger bag most sizes of the regular Title bags are great, and the Everlast professional($30 models) bags are lively also.(Though sometimes there are issues with the leather cracking and you tend to have to air them up every couple of days(no big deal). Hope this helped a little.
        Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        Yeah, I've got a small collection of old school bags, but apparently there are other people that have started collecting them now also. It's getting tougher to find the bargains there once were on the Hutch's, J. C. Higgins, Wilsons, Spauldings etc. that show up on eBay.
        By the way DUTCHMAN check this one out!!! http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-JOE-LOUI...A1%7C294%3A200

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

Yeah I saw it. Problem is that a lot of the neat stuff shows up at the end of the month, usually going for a lot more than what I have budgeted for. That one is in not too bad shape (I don't collect the ones that are beat to death), it'll more than likely need a bladder, which is another problem. Not too many of the suppliers are offering bladders that fit the big bags any more.
          Last edited by Dutchman; 06-25-2009, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• Crapsterface
            • Nov 2009

for me the cleto was way faster.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...