• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Vintage Platform Material

I'm posting this here as this a recycle job. I stopped an estate sale today and they had these old restaurant table tops for sale. The solid Pine ones were 1 /12 inch thick and the sold mahogany one is 1 5/8ths. Diameter is 35 and 36 inches. They were only 5 bucks each, so I couldn't resist and bought 3 pine ones and the lone Mahogany one. I've been wanting to redo my platform for a while, but wanted to give it an old style look. These old thick table tops are perfect. I bought the others just because the wood was in great shape and I always find a use for it down the road somewhere. Now I just have to decide whether to make the platform out of the mahogany or the pine.

What was amazing is they also had a vintage metal ring speedbag unit there similar to the one I just bought. No name on it and it wasn't in very good shape. They wanted 60.00 for it. Too much for something not in that good of shape.
    fedora

Here's a vintage one that's been on ebay quite a while, shape is similar to the pine one.

Last edited by fedora; 01-03-2014, 03:41 PM.
  • looster
    • Jul 2012

Nice Find and almost free ! those are going to be great. since they are inexpensive, you may want to consider glueing and screwing a 1/2 or 3/4 plywood backup to them, just to make sure that they are as solid as a marble table.
    Way to go.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Nice find.

Comment

• fedora
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by looster View Post
        Nice Find and almost free ! those are going to be great. since they are inexpensive, you may want to consider glueing and screwing a 1/2 or 3/4 plywood backup to them, just to make sure that they are as solid as a marble table.
        Way to go.
        That's a really good idea. I hadn't thought of that, thanks for the tip, I will do that very thing. I'd hate for it to split on me. I'll have to scrape the gum off the bottom so it'll lay flat. lol. I decided to go with the mahogany. I pretty much have it all sanded down already.

fedora

Comment

• CeSalt
          • Nov 2013

Way to go, Fedora! It's all about fun, and it looks like you've had a turbo infusion of such.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...