• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Vintage Ad for My vintage Platform

How cool is this. I found this ad for the exact same Nonpareil platform I just got. Even a close up of the swivel. It's exactly the same.

fedora

Last edited by fedora; 12-27-2013, 12:35 PM.
  • CeSalt
    • Nov 2013

I think its beautiful, and I *love* those prices!

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

Hardened chain, nice. In a perfect world the eye and hooks of ball hooks would be hardened and last for decades.

Comment

• fedora
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2012

The only thing that puzzles me is that the Ad says it has a ball bearing swivel with a chain. There is no ball in the swivel. The chain just goes up into the base and there is a small square nutted bolt thru the chain that you can adjust the length with. Plus the hole in the swivel that the chain goes through is just big enough to let the chain pass through, so not sure how a ball would have fit anyway. It's the same in the Lucky Dog swivel. As little as it was used I doubt it had one or was removed, but it's a possibility I guess.

This is the inside of the Lucky Dog swivel and the other one looks the same.

fedora
        Last edited by fedora; 12-27-2013, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Maybe they dropped the ball bearing at some point in the production. I say that because this seems to be the patent:
          Attached Files
          Last edited by paranday; 12-27-2013, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• fedora
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2012

Wow, how did you find that? Yup they did make some modifications as I see they changed the hook attachment also. The ad shows the one I have but the original patent shows it as a clip. The ad is from a 1930 Keen Kutter Simmons Catalog. So the adjustment was made sometime between then. Also the patent was applied for in 1922 but wasn't granted until 1924, so it may have even been done before the patent was granted. I love the history of this stuff. Thanks for finding the patent.

fedora

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by fedora View Post
              Wow, how did you find that?
              Looked through the thumbnail images here:

`

Comment

• fedora
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2012

I printed out the patent and after looking at the pics closer and then going out and giving mine another look I see that indeed it is a ball bearing arrangement. I was looking for a standard ball the way the new ball and hooks are and this is entirely different. Mine is exactly the way it shows in the prints, the only difference is they did away with the clip for the bag attachment and simplified it with the C hook. Cool. Thanks again.

fedora

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...