• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Just pulled this out of the Bay

I just bought this older Everlast swivel. I know it was one of the cheaper ones but I wanted it for my collection. I'm curious how it will work having the S hook go directly into the ball.

fedora

• fedora
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2012

Yeh I know it's not for regular use, but I like to collect the different styles and I hang my other bags on them for a little decor. Plus like I said I am curious about the S hook operation on this style. For 11.00 I cld afford it. Believe it or not one like this in the original box has been on ebay for months. The seller thinks it's a real collectable as he wants a buy in now price of 279.00. I can't imagine why no body has jumped on it.

BTW I like my Everlast plastic base with a metal ball hook in it too. It works great and very quiet.

I'll probably hang it up here with some of my other ones.

fedora
    Last edited by fedora; 11-21-2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• fedora
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2012

Not bad actually

Okay I got this in the mail today and while I know it looks like one of those other cheapies being sold on ebay that kinda look like it, this one is really not that bad.
      The metal plating for the base while it is thinner than the other Everlast metal ones, is actually pretty thick for stamped metal. The Ball and hook are much larger also and pretty stout. Since the hook goes right into the ball, the hang length on it is much shorter making for a very fast swing. Plus since there is no eye from the ball the S hook can't ride up and hang up like it can do occasionally.

The biggest draw back is it is very noisy. Also I'm sure that since it is thinner metal than the solid metal milled base ones it wouldn't have the longevity usage wise. But It is actually fun to hit on since it is so much faster than any of my other swivels. Here's some pics from the listing.

fedora

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

I've never tried one of these. Trainer Raul says that style is what his uncle had when he was a kid. I'd like to try it to see how well it works without an eye screw. Well, it's out to the workshop to see if Trainer Raul can make one for me out of the Deville neoprene material and a brass ball. I'll keep you posted…
        sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
        I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• fedora
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2012

I've thought about the wear part also and I'm going to look at the movement and compare it to the standard ball hook. One thing I've thought about is this has a much bigger ball, if you want to call it that, not really a ball. but the point is with a much wider socket to sit in, it has more side to side swing angle . Plus if this was used when bigger bags were more common the bag would hit the platform sooner without swinging as much on the hook. Just a thought, I'm not sure.
          However about the wear part, I've watched my bags swing on the hook even with the eye, granted probably wouldn't be as much though. I can tell you that it doesn't restrict what you can do. I was doing 4 way elbows, double side punches, fist rolls front and back, double bumps front and back, over unders,I tried everything at all angles and the only difference was it had a faster rebound, but no hang ups. It actually was easier to hit, cause you never got a ride up on the eye that occasionally happens. The thing I hated the most was the noise. It is super noisy, probably at least partly because of the hollow ball.

Anyway, I'm always into trying new things. I've asked Dee to duplicate one for me when they have time. I'm willing to put some change into it and see what happens. Thats the thing I have enjoyed the most about bagging, there's always something new to try.

UPDATE: Okay I have to retract my hypothesis about the wider ball socket giving it more of a swing angle. I just went out and compared it to my other ones and there isn't any difference. My Black title Pro 8X5 has to move slightly on the hook before it contacts the board. If I can get one from Dee thats quiet I'll be using it a lot. I'll see how long a bag can be used before the loop wears out. I may cut down some Gorilla Duck tape into a narrower strip and wrap it around the top of the loop to minimize the wear.

fedora
          Last edited by fedora; 11-26-2013, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...