Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoMan2
    • Dec 2020

FOR SALE FOUND - Medart #1255 (patented 1912)

I was contacted by an Ebay user regarding their find.

The iron looks to be very rough condition, indicating it's age. Interestingly, of the few complete examples that I've seen photos of, this one has iron arms. I've previously only seen wooden arms on the few I've seen photos of.

A verified sale of a complete of one of these Medarts took place in January 2015, selling for approximately $422 (after bid price + buyer premium + tax)

I'll attach 2 photos of the 2015 example, as well as photos of the find, and also the original patent drawings and specification.

The Ebay user find is located in Texas (Houston area), and they are asking for help for what to price it at. I'm here to consult with the experts and collectors in our community that might be able to chime in with what a fair estimate would be. Thank you in advance.

(Personally, I'd love to have this for myself, but I already have a very nice Narragansett & my wife will divorce me if I take up any more room in the garage with the Medart! LOL)
  • JoMan2
    • Dec 2020

Photos of the 2015 example

Comment

• JoMan2
      • Dec 2020

Original patent

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Whew, this is a tough one, Medart platforms of this type have rarely come on the market, as it appears that they sold strictly to institutions. It also seems that the design was an attempt at avoiding copying the prolific Narragansett pattern platform. This is going to be one of those how much someone is going to be willing to shell out for it deals

Comment

• Bag Man
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by JoMan2 View Post

The iron looks to be very rough condition, indicating it's age. Interestingly, of the few complete examples that I've seen photos of, this one has iron arms. I've previously only seen wooden arms on the few I've seen photos of.

A verified sale of a complete of one of these Medarts took place in January 2015, selling for approximately $422 (after bid price + buyer premium + tax)
          https://www.icollector.com/Lot-Of-Bo...tems_i21340324

I'll attach 2 photos of the 2015 example, as well as photos of the find, and also the original patent drawings and specification.

The Ebay user find is located in Texas (Houston area), and they are asking for help for what to price it at. I'm here to consult with the experts and collectors in our community that might be able to chime in with what a fair estimate would be. Thank you in advance.

(Personally, I'd love to have this for myself, but I already have a very nice Narragansett & my wife will divorce me if I take up any more room in the garage with the Medart! LOL)
          Drilling down on your observation on the arms. I have only seen in wood same as the 2015 pics. Something bothers me about the way the arms fit into the sled. Hard to tell from the pics but something looks off. Can he give you a side shot? The holds drilled into the striking surface also bother me. They look like they were done to accommodate the arms. Does not look how the factory would have done it. Perhaps the arms were replaced. Can you get a pic of the rear of the striking surface?
          "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• BagBoy
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2018

Is the dog included?
            Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• JoMan2
              • Dec 2020

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post

Is the dog included?

Local pickup only

Comment

• JoMan2
                • Dec 2020

Originally posted by Bag Man View Post

Drilling down on your observation on the arms. I have only seen in wood same as the 2015 pics. Something bothers me about the way the arms fit into the sled. Hard to tell from the pics but something looks off. Can he give you a side shot? The holds drilled into the striking surface also bother me. They look like they were done to accommodate the arms. Does not look how the factory would have done it. Perhaps the arms were replaced. Can you get a pic of the rear of the striking surface?

I was able to receive photos of the top. Hopefully I receive photos soon of how the arms fit the sled.

The patent drawings also do not show how the arms (#13) attach to the drum. It's unfortunate that they left that detail out.
                Last edited by JoMan2; 01-06-2021, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• Bag Man
                  • Jan 2011

I was able to receive photos of the top. Hopefully I receive photos soon of how the arms fit the sled.

The patent drawings also do not show how the arms (#13) attach to the drum. It's unfortunate that they left that detail out.

The drum looks to be in very good shape. I’m going to dial back on my observation on the arms. There isn’t a second set of holes, which I would expect if the arms were not original. Either that or they found a replacement with the holes spaced in exactly the same spots as the originals, or had something specially made, both very unlikely. My opinion the arms are original. I’ve never seen a catalogue for these. Maybe they had two versions, or more likely over time they changed the configuration.

Assuming the sled adjusts up/down correctly it looks like any restoration would be cosmetic. You asked how much it was worth. As Dutchman says “how much someone is going to be willing to shell out for it deals.” I’m comfortable saying its worth way more that $422. Assuming a cosmetic refresh and the right buyer, who I assume will want it as a display item, I would think it’s more valuable than the Narragansetts are. Would not surprise me if it went for a couple of thousand dollars, maybe more. Any idea on the provenance? That might also increase the value.

Bag Man

Archie Moore

Comment

• JoMan2
                    • Dec 2020

Originally posted by Bag Man View Post

The drum looks to be in very good shape. I’m going to dial back on my observation on the arms. There isn’t a second set of holes, which I would expect if the arms were not original. Either that or they found a replacement with the holes spaced in exactly the same spots as the originals, or had something specially made, both very unlikely. My opinion the arms are original. I’ve never seen a catalogue for these. Maybe they had two versions, or more likely over time they changed the configuration.

Assuming the sled adjusts up/down correctly it looks like any restoration would be cosmetic. You asked how much it was worth. As Dutchman says “how much someone is going to be willing to shell out for it deals.” I’m comfortable saying its worth way more that $422. Assuming a cosmetic refresh and the right buyer, who I assume will want it as a display item, I would think it’s more valuable than the Narragansetts are. Would not surprise me if it went for a couple of thousand dollars, maybe more. Any idea on the provenance? That might also increase the value.

Bag Man
                    [/SIZE]

I've asked about provenance several times but never receive an answer.

Comment

• JoMan2
                      • Dec 2020

Here's how the arms attach.

Comment

• Bag Man
                        • Jan 2011

That has to be original.

Archie Moore

Comment

• JoMan2
                          • Dec 2020

We should get together and pitch in and get this to Mr Khan !!!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...