• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maxski14
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2020

Home made platform

Hi all! This is my first post. I have been really enjoying seeing all the home made platforms on here, so was motivated to make my own, and if possible, get some feedback on it. I’d love to get some improvement advice from all of you experienced speed bag guys/gals on building the most solid platform possible.

it’s made out of 3mm thick 80x40mm box section steel. Welded to 8mm plate steel, and then bolted to a piece of round oak, to which I have chamfered the edge to avoid any hand injuries.

It weighs in at about 42lbs with the bag on it, and will be bolted to the wall. So it’s pretty heavy duty.

I got inspiration from some of the more expensive balazs, title and everlast platforms.

Heres the pics of the finished platform and making process!

• dad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2018

Nice job

Comment

• surfingcowboy
      • May 2020

Looks like you got yourself a Real Beast there. Great Job on it

Comment

• Mickey Dix
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Maxski14 View Post
        Hi all! This is my first post. I have been really enjoying seeing all the home made platforms on here, so was motivated to make my own, and if possible, get some feedback on it. I’d love to get some improvement advice from all of you experienced speed bag guys/gals on building the most solid platform possible.

it’s made out of 3mm thick 80x40mm box section steel. Welded to 8mm plate steel, and then bolted to a piece of round oak, to which I have chamfered the edge to avoid any hand injuries.

It weighs in at about 42lbs with the bag on it, and will be bolted to the wall. So it’s pretty heavy duty.

I got inspiration from some of the more expensive balazs, title and everlast platforms.

Heres the pics of the finished platform and making process!

Welcome Maxski, Your platform is very impressive . I am always impressed with the skills of all the baggers that make their own platforms, bags and swivels.Good luck with it.

Comment

• Zaz
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2018

Your platform is beautiful and seem very solid!

Comment

• JordonC2
            • Jul 2021

How did you attach the drum to the frame. Can we get a photo?

Comment

• JordonC2
              • Jul 2021

I am considering either flat counter sunk bolts completely thru the drum or lag bolts from the top and not thru the drum.
              It is very difficult to find 3/8 x 4" counter sunk bolts.
              Not sure if the lag bolts will support the drum or is it going to fall on my head? The drum is two 1 3/4" pieces of maple 30" which were glued together.
              What are your thoughts?

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

I would say that the lags would eventually start working loose over time. I prefer countersunk through bolting, especially when it something heavy over my head...

Comment

• JordonC2
                  • Jul 2021

Going to mount it tonight. I had difficulty finding 5" flat head bolts. Got two and I'll use lags for the other two.
                  Photos soon!

Comment

• dad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Dec 2018

I agree with Dutchman countersink and I use "carriage bolts" they set nice in a countersink and lock in place. Looking forward to the finished product.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...