• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • omark221
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2020

home made platform

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I am excited to be surrounded by so many speed bag enthusiasts and experts. I have always had a strong attraction and love for the speed bag especially since I was always involved with boxing at a young age. The first time I saw Rocky hit the speed bag I fell in love. It’s been a while since I have used a speed bag and the reason being is I was turned off by the cheap platforms sold in sporting goods stores. Using ones at different boxing gyms was always fun but when I asked about where it was purchased I never received a clear answer.

Well, fast forward and stuck in quarantine, I decided I want to build my own speed bag platform. I have always been handy and I enjoy building things but in no way am I a professional carpenter or wood expert. It was a fun, and fulfilling project. Building a speed bag is not as easy as it sounds since you want a platform that is stable, heavy, solid, with minimal vibration and gives you a good rebound while easily mounting to your home wall. Also for some people, they want it to look good as well. With some tools, decent wood, a little precision and effort, you could build something nice that you can be proud of while hitting the speed bag. I have some pictures of the final piece. The thickness of the platform is 3 inches and the diameter is slightly shy of 24 inches. The front has a good shine to it similar to a guitar or basketball floor but might be hard to see in the pictures. Wood used is Maple plywood.
    Thanks
  • omark221
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2020

More pictures

Comment

• dad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2018

Omark221 interesting please post video would like to see it working.

Comment

• Jeff Thrasher
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Apr 2020

Great work!!

Comment

• omark221
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Apr 2020

Thanks Jeff !!
          I am planning to do so soon, I am working on a location in my garage to set up the mount through the studs and waiting for my speed bag to arrive in the mail as well.
          Last edited by omark221; 08-27-2020, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• crawforde
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jul 2009

Looks good.
            enjoy!

Comment

• pinzpirate
              • Feb 2020

Nicely done That's a helluva drum for those brackets
              What did you laminate and finish the drum with?
              Epoxy, urethane ?

Comment

• omark221
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Apr 2020

Thank you Crawforde!
                Thanks Pinzpirate! The brackets are super strong and they held the drum very well, solid as a rock on the wall. I was a bit skeptical in the beginning, worried that it wouldn't be able to support the weight. I used a oil based polyurethane for the finish. Easy to work with and provides a nice smooth finish.

Comment

• UK mark
                  • Nov 2018

Nice work, I've also built my own speedbag platforms using same plywood and are solid too

Comment

• omark221
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Apr 2020

Thank you UK Mark! I saw some of the pictures of the ones you built. Amazing work brother, you're a true craftsman!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...