• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Advanced fist rolling

Here's some advanced fist rolling. There's some slo-mo towards the end.

For those that have read the Speed Bag Bible it's:
    O-TES ' F-ROLL ' I-TES ''' (repeat)

Outward Triple Elbow Strike (elbow, fist , fist), where the last fist is ALSO the first fist of an F-ROLL (Front ROLL). Then the last fist of the F-Roll is also the first fist of an Inward Triple Elbow Strike ( fist, fist, elbow)

At the end of the clip is a:
    D-TES ' F-ROLL

Which is a Downard Triple Elbow Strike (fist, elbow, fist) where the last fist is ALSO the first fist of the F-ROLL.

None of it is done particularly well or smoothly, but it's a good start
    Last edited by Tim; 01-26-2008, 03:57 PM.
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Good work, Tim.

You have to have the most solid platform I've seen filmed. I can't detect any bounce at all.

My platforms are weighted down too but not as solid as yours.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

VERY nicely done. Now join them....

O-TES ' F-Roll ' I-TES ' ' ' D-TES ' F-ROLL ' D-TES ' I-TES.

(* last fist of D-TES holds in position to re-hit bag as the lead fist of the I-tes after one rebound)

You CAN do this, Tim.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        VERY nicely done. Now join them....

(* last fist of D-TES holds in position to re-hit bag as the lead fist of the I-tes after one rebound)
        Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          Thanks, I'll give that a shot.
          this is one of those combinations that you may miss more than you get, but it's fun when you do it.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• speedbag4life
            • Jun 2007

Inward Elbow Strikes

I can't get enough elbow force on the I-TES for a good rebound. Is this a common problem? A long time ago I stopped trying to do the inward elbow strikes, but Tim's video and Alan's suggested combination make me want to try again.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
              I can't get enough elbow force on the I-TES for a good rebound. Is this a common problem? A long time ago I stopped trying to do the inward elbow strikes, but Tim's video and Alan's suggested combination make me want to try again.
              I have always had the same problem. In the combination above I keep hitting my mid forearm on the last Inward Elbow after the
              D-TES. That is why I could never do this combination. I just can't get enough consistent placement on the elbow or force on the movement. I admit to not working on them as much as I guess I should have, but most of my focus was on techniques that you can link from - and since the last strike in the Inward Double (I-DES) and Triple (I-TES) is the elbow, linking really is not possible.

Several members here are very good with using the Inward ES, just not me
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Yes - try turning your body into it. Rotate at the shoulders and hips to bring the POINT of the elbow into the bag. Hitting with the very point of the elbow will give you a nice crisp rebound. You will likely have to exagerate the body motion at first, but once you get the hang of it you can rotate less. I find inward elbows with the left arm especially challenging for this reason.

I've been working my inward elbows EXTENSIVELY to try and get this combination. I've been working out 45-60 minutes at a time, and about every 3rd or 4th strike is an inward elbow from alternating arms (the point being that I'm working out with one goal in mind - improve inner elbows, both the left and the right).
                Last edited by Tim; 02-01-2008, 06:51 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Yes - try turning your body into it. Rotate at the shoulders and hips to bring the POINT of the elbow into the bag. Hitting with the very point of the elbow will give you a nice crisp rebound. You will likely have to exagerate the body motion at first, but once you get the hang of it you can rotate less. I find inward elbows with the left arm especially challenging for this reason.

I've been working my inward elbows EXTENSIVELY to try and get this combination. I've been working out 45-60 minutes at a time, and about every 3rd or 4th strike is an inward elbow from alternating arms (the point being that I'm working out with one goal in mind - improve inner elbows, both the left and the right).
                  I love a man on a mission
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    Got any tips on the

F-ROLL ' D-TES

??? I'm rolling, hit with my right fist, and trying to get my left elbow up, down, and into the bag fast enough, without much luck...

I've managed the D-TES ' I -TES a few times... pretty sloppy but I think I did it right.

Comment

• speedbag4life
                      • Jun 2007

Thanks, I'll try again tomorrow, shoulders and hips. Question though: Does the shoulder rotation cause any unusual discomfort or stress? I tried the I-TES earlier today from as many angles and body positions as I could think of. On the hits when my shoulder felt comfortable, the bag made contact with my mid-forearm (the consolation here is that I'm evidently in good company). On the few times when tip of my elbow made contact, or came close, it felt like I was over-rotating my shoulder, almost twisting it out of joint. Did your shoulder feel like this when you first started working on the I-TES? Your video makes it look a lot smoother than my shoulder feels.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Thanks, I'll try again tomorrow, shoulders and hips. Question though: Does the shoulder rotation cause any unusual discomfort or stress? I tried the I-TES earlier today from as many angles and body positions as I could think of. On the hits when my shoulder felt comfortable, the bag made contact with my mid-forearm (the consolation here is that I'm evidently in good company). On the few times when tip of my elbow made contact, or came close, it felt like I was over-rotating my shoulder, almost twisting it out of joint. Did your shoulder feel like this when you first started working on the I-TES? Your video makes it look a lot smoother than my shoulder feels.
                        The body rotation helps with that, put as much shoulder/hip rotation in until it feels fine. My left shoulder (having had surgery) doesn't have the range of motion of my right, hence I really twist my hips on I-TES leading with the left fist.

When I first started doing inward elbows, the left felt very clumsy and probably had even LESS range of motion. It's something that improves over time, or it did in my case at least.

If you can post video of your I-TES technique and myself and Alan (and others) can give you add'l pointers.

For the longest time D-TES or D-SES (downward elbows) felt unnatural to me. I eased into them. Add a few into the workout, next workout add some more, and so on and before you know it - it feels like you've been doing them your whole life!
                        Last edited by Tim; 02-02-2008, 06:28 AM.

Comment

• speedbag4life
                          • Jun 2007

Thanks, Tim. I'll try again. I'm not set up with video, but if I can work that out anytime soon, I'll do it.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...