X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rainbowsixveg
    • Jun 2007

Gleasons Gym Fight Night Jan 13 2008!

I was at gleasons in Dumbo last night, the fights were ok. I went there because my friend was fighting. Hes a novice goin into the gloves. Hes in the black and white trunks. Ill be fighting there soon toohttp://youtube.com/watch?v=ifIi0tbE9Us
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by rainbowsixveg View Post
    I was at gleasons in Dumbo last night, the fights were ok. I went there because my friend was fighting. Hes a novice goin into the gloves. Hes in the black and white trunks. Ill be fighting there soon toohttp://youtube.com/watch?v=ifIi0tbE9Us
    Good luck to you Rainbowsixveg. You CAN do it!!
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Hard to really see what was going on.

I want to say go for it, but ask why, too. Why pound on someone and get pounded on yourself? If it is something you really want to do, then I could understand it. Just hope you're not doing it to be in favor of your friends or prove anything to them, or even yourself.

Even with gear your body is subjected to a lot of damage in a fight. Again, just be sure it is something you thought through and is clearly your decision.

Comment

• rainbowsixveg
        • Jun 2007

I Know what Im doin

I dont really understand what your saying? Ive been around boxing all my life and fighting is one of the things i am really good at. Its my choice not any one elses. I video taped that for my friend because he lives in Marcy Houses (Projects) and he dosent have the privilages of most of my friends. He likes boxing too and He fights because he has too. He fights or gets in troble with the law. I fight because I love boxing. The gyms that I go too most off them just want to make you into a pro, But the gym im at now they care about the fighters and there lifes.

Comment

• atgatt
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2007

I dont really understand what your saying? Ive been around boxing all my life and fighting is one of the things i am really good at. Its my choice not any one elses. I video taped that for my friend because he lives in Marcy Houses (Projects) and he dosent have the privilages of most of my friends. He likes boxing too and He fights because he has too. He fights or gets in troble with the law. I fight because I love boxing. The gyms that I go too most off them just want to make you into a pro, But the gym im at now they care about the fighters and there lifes.

I am hard to understand regarding this topic. I read about boxing, read about boxers and am glued to the TV whenever they are showing a boxing match. A few times in the past I’ve put on gloves and boxed with friends. Most my fights have been just real street fights. I was always a nice guy but where I grew up and worked was not as nice as me. I thank God I worked out and at least understood the basics of boxing and street fighting then because I don’t know what could have happened if I lost some of the serious ones. One “friend” of mine required major face surgery because he lost a street fight. Some guys show no mercy and he didn’t get any.

Once I could have easily killed a guy with my fist that didn’t deserve mercy, but I backed off. I don’t know why for sure. Maybe it was God telling me it was not worth it.

In a nutshell, speaking for myself, I could not go into a ring. Even though it is a mutual agreement and both have a full understanding of the consequences, it is not worth getting pounded upon at full body blows, nor is it worth it to me to do that to another, and then simply call it a sport to justify it. I can only justify it in self-defense and that is much different from a ring fight anyway. I think sparring is good for learning without making it full body blows, out to knock out someone if possible.

So I admit hypocrisy. I like boxing, boxer history, etc, but I don’t recommend it. That’s all I’m saying. It’s a forum and we express views.

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I dont really understand what your saying? Ive been around boxing all my life and fighting is one of the things i am really good at. Its my choice not any one elses.
            While I can appreciate atgatt's views on this subject, I'd also say that you are going about this in the right manner (to minimize injury to yourself or anyone else): qualified trainers, real refs, protective headgear, and extensive training.

I wish you good luck, and if you can, please get some video of your fight. If I was about 10-15 years younger I'd get in the ring, but I'm past my prime for that sort of thing.
            Last edited by Tim; 01-15-2008, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• ashe
              • Jun 2007

lookin' forward to that veggie!

Comment

• atgatt
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

You're all animals!!

Rainbow, best of luck to you. It sounds like you're all having fun and respect the sport of boxing.

We'd love to see a video (clear one) of your fight.

Like Tim said, and he's right, overall, boxing is monitored much more today to prevent severe injury.

Back when, ALL my friends were into drugs and I find it ironic that a boxing gym with fights is much safer.

Keep your hands up.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...