• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillinPEI
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2008

My home made set up

I have a delux Pro Swivle from Title and the classic5x8 bag. Its really small and was on sale for 10 bucks.... I should get a 6x9 likely.

Here's a link to my facebook album. It should work even for those not in facebook. Le me know if it doesn't.

5/8 OSB (wafer board glued and screwed to 3/8 inch plywood) I may make one the same sized with melamine glued to osb I have scraps in the barn.

What would I find if I changed to a 6x9? A little slower?

I usually do my speed bag bare hands do you find wrapping helps?

Did I mention I'm a newbie!

After reading everyone's posts I will try to add a bag of sand to the top of my rig.

Here is my weak attempt at hitting the bag.

• SpeedBagSkunk
    Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

SpeedBagSkunk

Welcome Newbie, that is a crazy set up not because its wrong but it looks alot like one of my first set-ups. Not all of us have facebook and it seems you have to have facebook to view the video. I also hit with my barehands but i guess it depends on how long uyour hitting the bag for, 15 mins compaired to 2 hours lol if your hitting the bag for 2 hours straight then yeah wear some hand wraps or work out gloves. You are talking to a lot of speedbaggers from around the world, im sure we can help with what ever it is you need. As far as the bag goes i believe the 6x9 is a great bag as well and is a very good bag for a beginner. but its all on you we all have our own styles and preferances so good luck and rememebr practice practice practice!!!

Comment

• BillinPEI
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2008

sps...

Thanks for the note. I only train the speed bag for 2-3 rounds every other day so maybe that's why I don't need mits as you said. I'll find a better way to post the video....

I can't wait until I have a few hours of time to create another set up against a wall. I think I'll get the 6x9 and the best swivle I can order then have two

MY goals is to be able to do a nice 3 beat alternating hands very very fast for a minute of two... I can do one hand, my left pretty good and go slower with both hands... I guess I'll down load some vids and play around.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by BillinPEI View Post
        IWhat would I find if I changed to a 6x9? A little slower?
        Yes, it will be a little slower.

I usually do my speed bag bare hands do you find wrapping helps?
        I always punch bare handed. I don't find gloves or wraps necessary.

After reading everyone's posts I will try to add a bag of sand to the top of my rig.
        Adding weight to the platform almost never hurts... with less vibration you'll get better rebounds... the vibration kills the energy in the rebounding bag.

Here is my weak attempt at hitting the bag.
        http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=8659646555
        I have a Facebook login so I was able to view this video... looks like you've got the triplet rythm down pretty well (3 rebounds per hit). Is your left your strong or your weak hand? Good thing to try next would be alternating left to right to left etc. and adding in some straight punches. The particular punch you are doing in the video is the Front Circle Punch (FCP) in Bible-speak. The Front Straight Punch (FSP) is another basic hit. This page explains them better than I can:

Last edited by Tim; 01-08-2008, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• BillinPEI
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2008

A bag of salt works great!

Wow I put a bag of road salt on the top of the unit and what a difference!

I am right handed buyt I'm not surprised my left is better than my right, my left is not as powerful but a little quicker than my right.

FSP I'll look it up and try and yes I'd love to be fast doing alternating left to right to left.

Thanks for the post.....

Oh yeah got introuble for hitting the bag after 10pm last night! Wife just loves it

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Oh yeah got introuble for hitting the bag after 10pm last night! Wife just loves it
            I know the feeling, I can hit anytime I want except when anyone else in the house is sleeping (Son's bedroom is immediately above the garage, and the master bedroom is one wall away from the garage)

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Wow I put a bag of road salt on the top of the unit and what a difference!

I am right handed buyt I'm not surprised my left is better than my right, my left is not as powerful but a little quicker than my right.

FSP I'll look it up and try and yes I'd love to be fast doing alternating left to right to left.

Thanks for the post.....

Hello BillinPEI.

I don't have facebook either and can't see your video, but here is the
              Front Straight Punch (FSP) fist contact position. It is the picture in the top left with the circled area around the knuckles in the front of the fist. The second picture down is the Front Circle Punch (FCP) contact, the third one down is the contact area of Reverse Punches, and the fourth (bottom) picture on the left is the contact area of with a few Downward Elbow techniques.

you might also look at a few video clips. Click on the "speed bag combinations" link, and watch clips #10 & 11 to see a little more how these punches two work together.

Hope this helps.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BillinPEI
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jan 2008

Wow

With sand all the way around on the top and few more screws does the bag ever come alive! The little 5x8 is almost too fast for me especially when alternating left to right to left . I guess I need a challenge. ANyway once I get my speed up faster alternating I'll be happy. Then maybe some reverse stuff and side to side. I think I'll order a 6x9 next time I get some gear from title or should I get another swivle and have two speed bags? Hmmm my wife would likely kill me

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

With sand all the way around on the top and few more screws does the bag ever come alive! The little 5x8 is almost too fast for me especially when alternating left to right to left . I guess I need a challenge. ANyway once I get my speed up faster alternating I'll be happy. Then maybe some reverse stuff and side to side. I think I'll order a 6x9 next time I get some gear from title or should I get another swivle and have two speed bags? Hmmm my wife would likely kill me
                  As you use smaller bags, and the 8x5 is pretty small and fast, part of the secret to "keeping up" if the bag is too fast is reducing the distance your hand has to travel. Without seeing you punch, (so we can't be sure until we see and hear your arm and hand positions and swing motions), I would suggest you concentrate more on keeping a very relax, small circle swing. Let your hands start and end by your chin with your elbows up almost parallel. This home position allows you to swing more effectively from the elbow, NOT the shoulder, and make a more controlled small circle with the fists. It "burns" the shoulder, supporting your arm held up, but with time and conditioning, you can hold this for several minutes.

The beginner tendency to "go fast" is by pounding the bag with large, more power arm and shoulder movements, but it is very difficult to keep a controlled, smooth and efficient motion when punching/pounding like this, particularly on such a small bag with little margin for error. Your hands must both be consistent, travelling the same distance each punch to keep your timing correct. The smaller your swing motion, the easier this is to do. Youtube is full of speed bag pounders going extremely fast for 5-8 punches before crashing time after time, and each using big large movements trying to overpower their bag. Much like they pound a heavybag. Very ineffective method on an 8x5 bag.

I might also suggest you forget about speed, for it will come automatically later if you focus on control. I agree you probably need a bit larger bag, 9x6. That is a plenty fast bag to start with. As your body begins to accept the suggested home position as your "normal" position, you will begin to relax and hit with a smoother, more effective punch for speed bagging. Reducing the distance of your movements will really pay dividends IF you decide to start punching from all around the bag, to.

Good luck and I'd like to see some of your video.
                  Last edited by Speedbag; 01-17-2008, 05:24 PM.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BillinPEI
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jan 2008

Speed

I will order a slightly bigger bag someday

I need the grace and the coordination so I'll atleast get a nice rythmn going with both hands if not alternating. I figure out a bit of your email by trial and error. If you hit it too hard you look stupid

one more week and I'll set up a quick video and post it for all to see!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...