• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ashe
    • Jun 2007

my first video...

for this forum anyway.

some work with the x2 end bag.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

sorry about the video quality...
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Nice inward elbow strikes with the right arm. Kinda sneaks in there once in a while. Looks like you did a few Inward "Double Elbow Strikes" also, which to me means leading with the straight punch fist followed by the inward elbow of the same arm (your right arm in this video). I call it "double" because two parts hit the bag within the movement.

Nice work.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ashe
      • Jun 2007

i have no idea what you're talking about!

thanks alan!

actually i don't think i'm fast enough to get in two elbow strikes like that. what you're probably seeing is just me trying to get some "contact" with the bag on the rebound after my first elbow strike. the idea being to get some contact, and then flow with my opponent so i can use the sticky hand to control them and prevent them from counter striking.

since i've only been working with the x2 end bag since the beginning of summer, i'm still not happy with how limitedly i'm using this tool.

for instance (it's hard to see, but) i raise my knee (mostly the right) to try and "counter" the lower end of the bag. while i'm improving (speed is getting better, i can actually hit the bag now) my hips are still a bit tight and i'm mostly right leg dominant.

also, you don't see me catch the bag here and "throw" it, which is something i'm working on.

overall, i'm still trying to figure out how to adapt the thing to our sticky hand method and create drills that will work on different qualities.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ashe View Post

thanks alan!

actually i don't think i'm fast enough to get in two elbow strikes like that. what you're probably seeing is just me trying to get some "contact" with the bag on the rebound after my first elbow strike.......
        Actually, what I mean is: you throw a punch and hit the front of your fist (like a straight punch), then follow through a little, bending your arm (fist into chest) and let the forearm part of your elbow connect the bag. It's very similiar to just throwing an inward elbow strike with your back (right) fist. I call it a "double Elbow" only because the bag hits two parts, (1) your fist (2) your elbow (on the forearm side) you can see it on the last two pictures here:

this particular picture shows an inward "Triple" Elbow Striked (I-TES) because three parts hit the bag, in a Fist-Fist-Elbow order. but look at the last two pictures on the right. The right Front Straight Punch (FSP) connects, followed by the Inward Elbow Strike after 1 rebound. it looked like you did that in your video, but perhaps not. I do it a lot on my reflex bag
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ashe
          • Jun 2007

ah, cool, i see what you mean now.

i guess i need to pick up your speedbag bible!

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

thanks alan!

actually i don't think i'm fast enough to get in two elbow strikes like that. what you're probably seeing is just me trying to get some "contact" with the bag on the rebound after my first elbow strike. the idea being to get some contact, and then flow with my opponent so i can use the sticky hand to control them and prevent them from counter striking.

overall, i'm still trying to figure out how to adapt the thing to our sticky hand method and create drills that will work on different qualities.
            your vid looks pretty cool, I see you've mentioned using sticky hands twice.Does your method incorporate Wing Chun? I glanced at the Falling Leaves Site and don't remember seeing if Wing Chun was part of the curriculum.That's pretty cool if it is. If I ever get my homemade dummy mounted, I can start working some those principles myself
            sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
              your vid looks pretty cool, I see you've mentioned using sticky hands twice.Does your method incorporate Wing Chun? I glanced at the Falling Leaves Site and don't remember seeing if Wing Chun was part of the curriculum.That's pretty cool if it is. If I ever get my homemade dummy mounted, I can start working some those principles myself
              I'd love to learn those sticky hands techniques myself. I hope Ashe figures a way to use the speed bag in that regard and passes it on.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ashe
                • Jun 2007

no, no wing chun. but the majority of chines martial arts all incorporate some kind of sticky hand training.

a common saying in cma is "fighting is up close, like kissing someone on the mouth". and good in fighting, incorporates locks, throws, kicks and strikes of all kinds, which need to be trained up close (i.e. sticky hand).

that's why most cma guys suck donkey hoo-ha when it comes time to actually apply their art.

a lot of the good sticky hand stuff has been lost, and americanized cma all train way too far out.

alan, i'm working on an article for my blog right now, discussing the use of the x2 end bag (my clip hasn't gone over well with some of my cma peers, "that's just boxing"... ). i'd like to forward it to you before i list is publicly to get some feed back from you.

should be done by sunday or monday, and that'll maybe show you what page i'm on and how i'm trying to approach the training.

but as far as directly applying sticky hand to the speed bag, i don't really think it's possible, since most of the mechanics and applications of sticky hand rely on the structure of the human body (both your own and opponents).

Comment

• ashe
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  I'd love to learn those sticky hands techniques myself. I hope Ashe figures a way to use the speed bag in that regard and passes it on.
                  but on a side note, the next time me or my Sifu are in texas, i'll give you the heads up and you can drop by. i think you'd really like it!

here's a little clip of my Sifu from a recent workshop in Russia...

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

[QUOTE=ashe;5865]no, no wing chun. but the majority of chines martial arts all incorporate some kind of sticky hand training.

a common saying in cma is "fighting is up close, like kissing someone on the mouth". and good in fighting, incorporates locks, throws, kicks and strikes of all kinds, which need to be trained up close (i.e. sticky hand).

that's why most cma guys suck donkey hoo-ha when it comes time to actually apply their art.

a lot of the good sticky hand stuff has been lost, and americanized cma all train way too far out.

QUOTE] I finally checked out some of the media at fallingleaves.com, and I find I Liq Chuan VERY INTERESTING! I hope you don't mind me saying that I see some similarities with Wing Chun in this system. Mainly the close quarters fighting and the sticky hand training. I also like how I Liq Chaun could handle multiple attackers.I still practice the basics of Wing Chun. No matter what I attempt to learn, I always gravitate back to this system.Maybe its my own bias,Who knows? I'm confused by "cma guys" What do mean by that? I'm just not familiar with the term.
                    sigpic

Comment

• ashe
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                      I'm confused by "cma guys" What do mean by that? I'm just not familiar with the term.
                      cma = chinese martial arts

Comment

• metaldad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2007

cma = chinese martial arts
                        I figured that's what it meant, I just wanted to be sure.Any chance of you &your sifu heading to the Chicago area? I know that I keep harping about Wing Chun,but Iwould love an opportunity to have a lesson of I Liq Chaun
                        sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...