• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

My first video

Got a new toy in the mail on Friday - the firewire cable that was the missing link between recording video and actually uploading it.

So here's a video of me. Feedback and comments welcome from anyone who cares to comment. I'm hoping to do one of these every few months so I can track progress. Should be interesting to look back and see if I'm getting better

It's a compilation of just about every technique I'm capable of at the moment (excluding elbow strikes, just didn't feel like doing those today).

It's WMV format, which is Windows Media something or other. It was very easy to edit the video using Windows MovieMaker, which comes free with Windows XP.
    Last edited by Tim; 03-26-2006, 07:27 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

speed bag review..

Very good! a good mix of fist punches.

with video, you can evaluate yourself several ways:

SOUND: Punch contact in all techniques is very clean. rebounds are crisp, (not weak on board) and no swivel chinking. speed was consistent, so timing is right on also.

POSITION AND MOVEMENT: Swing is a little "army". I see some up and down movement from shoulders (watch elbow going up and down..) particularly after the RSP. But not too bad. It is fine at this speed, but you will need to keep the upper arm a little more firm in position to make real fast linking. (Particularly when you get to Side Double Punching)

Continuous FDP is good timing. A little too much shoulder/torso sway, but some people do that when they are concentrating on the spacing between the hands. Eventually you will be able to adjust your hands within the FDP to feel each one, (Particularly when your start linking the lead or 2nd fist.... in a few weeks)
    Might want to keep your non-punching hand a little higher. You tend to drop your hands inbetween punches a little. particularly in the RSP ' ' FSP combo. It might be easier if keep it at your chin or shoulder. Cleaning up your technique will find you going faster.

Good job. Your doing fine
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag
      V
      POSITION AND MOVEMENT: Swing is a little "army". I see some up and down movement from shoulders (watch elbow going up and down..) particularly after the RSP. But not too bad. It is fine at this speed, but you will need to keep the upper arm a little more firm in position to make real fast linking. (Particularly when you get to Side Double Punching)

Continuous FDP is good timing. A little too much shoulder/torso sway, but some people do that when they are concentrating on the spacing between the hands. Eventually you will be able to adjust your hands within the FDP to feel each one, (Particularly when your start linking the lead or 2nd fist.... in a few weeks)
      Might want to keep your non-punching hand a little higher. You tend to drop your hands inbetween punches a little. particularly in the RSP ' ' FSP combo. It might be easier if keep it at your chin or shoulder. Cleaning up your technique will find you going faster.
      Thanks for the detailed feedback. I will definitely look to improve upon those points!

Comment

• speedboy
        • Feb 2006

great clip tim! ive seen that you have the 5x8 title boxing. me too but in your clip your bag doesnt lose control when you change punch direction. but my bag works well in only 2 sides!

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by speedboy
          great clip tim! ive seen that you have the 5x8 title boxing. me too but in your clip your bag doesnt lose control when you change punch direction. but my bag works well in only 2 sides!
          speedboy, nothing but practice will fix that, in my opinion. I put probably around 10-12 hours of training over several weeks into making this clip below

First I had to work on RSP. I actually have been doing that ever since KDiver58 uploaded the clip of him and Trey on 3/2/2006. When I started I could barely do the RSP, now it's much improved (and could be improved much more). Secondly I had to even out my left and right hands. I'm right handed so I tend to favor my right. In all training sessions I try to mirror every right hand punch with a left. I have made much improvementon on that front. In doing this it also forced me to transition from right to left without breakdowns.

Alan's input has been invaluable as well. There is nothing more effective than an independent observer to tell you what would be better. When training alone, you tend to get stuck in your own ways which seem to be working "good enough", but when you try things differently, it's awkward at first, but with some practice things turn out better in the long run.

Also, I've always blamed the swaying of my platform for my poor performance (in the clips above you can see it moving back and forth noticeably), but as you can see from these clips, it's all about the technique! No improvements to the platform have occurred over these past few days, the only improvements have been to my technique - which came from lots of practice.

So, much training went into the above, which the video tape portions above represent only the last 2 hours of that training - with the final clip being the last 5 minutes of last night's workout. Also - that last clip of about 12 seconds was distilled from 45 minutes of training Many breakdowns have been edited out.

Hope that helps. Post more video if you can - we can figure out what you need to do better and help you to get to your goal.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Tim video #3

Three words:

Fab u lous.

amazing progress. You seem to have the gift of really "feeling" the bag. Feeling It's rhythm and flow. That is much more than just hitting slow to count the beat. Anyone can do that. "feeling" the movement flow is internal. You can't teach it. It is, or it isn't.

I predict you will learn more techniques quickly, and you will also learn to mix them together smoothly. It is easier when someone "feels" the bag and its beat. You Do.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• speedboy
              • Feb 2006

wow what a great progress! i have progressed too i will post a clip soon!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Tim Video

Originally posted by Tim
                .... Many breakdowns have been edited out
                HA! My own cutting room floor is filled with those...

Now, try and expand it just a bit. Make the Front Straight Punch (FSP) A Front Double Punch (FDP). The only difference will be for you to lead back with the same hand doing the Reverse Punch. It will look like this:

L...........L........L-R
                FCP ' ' RSP ' ' (FDP) ' ' ' [3 rebounds]... change lead.

This should be easy. Your Left fist comes from behind the bag, and leads the FDP, your Right Fist (already up and ready for FSP..) just follows the Left into the bag. Key is spacing between the fists. move them as one movement into the bag.

The right Fist (2nd fist of FDP) will simple do the same movement your are doing now: that is, it will recircle and contact the bag as the Front Circle Punch (FCP) and pass through.

The whole thing is:

L.........L.......L-R...........R.........R......R-L
                FCP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP ' ' ' FCP ' ' RSP ' ' FDP

When you feel lucky, change the FDP to the OutWard Triple Elbow Strike. ( same movement as FDP, just lead with the elbow...)

It's all connected.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag
                  Now, try and expand it just a bit. Make the Front Straight Punch (FSP) A Front Double Punch (FDP). The only difference will be for you to lead back with the same hand doing the Reverse Punch. It will look like this:

L...........L........L-R
                  FCP ' ' RSP ' ' (FDP) ' ' ' [3 rebounds]... change lead.
                  Working on this... not ready for prime time yet though

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

speed bag combination practice

by Tim: Working on this...not ready for primetime yet
                    Practice the movements without the bag and mouth (sound out) the bag beat as you move.

It will sound like: Da - DA - daDa ' ' ' Da - Da - daDa ' ' '

notice the lead fist of the FDP hits the bag and comes to the mouth and rests. The second fist hits the bag (.. and is now in front of the lead fist), slightly recircles, then moves straight through the bag.

again, practice the movements slowly, while sounding it out WITHOUT the bag. You will be surprised how fast you'll find the timing for it on the bag.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Latest training clip

Needs more speed

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

speed bag video clip

Very Good. from 10 - 13 secs, a few very nice Front Double Punch (FDP), lead fist R pass throughs.

R-L.......R
                        FDP ' ' RSP

Good job
                        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just for fun, now try to let the 2nd fist of the Front Double Punch (FDP) pass through to the Reverse Single Punch (RSP). It will look like this:

L-R.......R.........R-L.......L
                        FDP ' ' RSP ' ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' '

Try it without the bag. move all fists slowly to feel the movments. Notice the fist behind the bag returns to lead the next FDP. ( also notice the fist doing the RSP alternates. R, the L. in your above video, when the lead fist links through to RSP, it was always the same (R) fist. Using the second fist alternates the fist going through.

( and then, of course, both fists... )

Remember three options for linking off a double fist technique. Lead fist, second fist, both.

Good Job, Tim. Progress is obvious!
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...