• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

Working on the S-RDP

I decided to work on this punch today, (S-RDP)''''(S-RDP)'''' repeat.

Managed to cut down the rebounds down to two, (S-RDP)''(S-RDP)'' repeat.

S-RDP is a handy punch.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
    I decided to work on this punch today, (S-RDP)''''(S-RDP)'''' repeat.

Managed to cut down the rebounds down to two, (S-RDP)''(S-RDP)'' repeat.

S-RDP is a handy punch.
    It often changes the rules of rhythm when mixed with a bunch of others. I find it the hardest technique to use by itself effectively when punching. I use it a lot when rolling my fists around the bag, but as a stand alone technique it can be confusing with that side punch leading...

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2015

Using the (S-RDP) for the fun of it, and hitting with no real purpose other than to see the bag bounce.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Using the (S-RDP) for the fun of it, and hitting with no real purpose other than to see the bag bounce.

Now that you can do them, try writing down everything you did.

You will find that there is often several ways you can write a combination using single fists punching from different sides of the bag.

So FDP ' SSP ' RSP can be FDP ' S-RDP.

FDP ' SSP ' RDP can be FDP ' S-RDP ' RSP

O-TES ' SSP ' RDP can be O-TES ' S-RDP ' RSP.

For me I normally don't write the S-RDP because I see it more as the SSP hitting on its own. Just easier for me to visualize. But it helps to learn to write down what you're doing, especially when you screw up and do something completely unique that works and you never though of before.

(...that is how I stumbled on the S-RDP. I missed going to another combination but that happened so I had to learn to write it in with the others.)
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2015

As I worked my way through the many exercises in the Speed Bag Bible I began to notice this- and have used it to my advantage more than a few times in helping me perceive complicated sequences in more light. The 9 punch sequence is one example.
          It reads (FDP)'(SSP)'(RDP)'(SSP)'(RDP)'(SSP)
          But can also be described as (FDP)'(S-RDP)'(R-SDP)'(RDP)'(SSP)
          Or even (FDP)'(S-RDP)'(R-SDP)'(RSP)'(R-SDP).
          It might seem obscure, but seeing the combination from a new perspective can help paint the picture in your mind of what is happening. Or what is not happening, such as in the case when I found myself stuck getting beyond the 6th punch. Breaking it up into various different pieces allowed me to see that it was irrelevant which number punch I was up to, and that the next part of the sequence was free to flow forth. It was just a matter of doing the (R-SDP)then a '(RDP)' and carrying on. Beyond that I could see it was just a matter of doing a (R-SDP)'(RSP)'(R-SDP) and boom. 9 punches.
          Another one was the R-L (FDP)'(SSP)'(RDP)'' L-R (FDP)'(SSP)'(RDP)
          Which could also be R-L (FDP)'(S-RDP)'(RSP)'' L-R (FDP)'(S-RDP)'(RSP)
          And I began to see it also as a (FDP)''(RDP) with a sideways split fist broken in half and thrown in the middle.
          The point was the more I looked at it's details the easier it became when it was time to punch it!
          Discovering the S-RDP must have been an epic day in speed bag evolution!
          It is one of my favorites for sure.

Comment

• Del-Striking
            • Aug 2014

Nice work! I've discovered that those moves are quite handsy in movement and require the elbows to stay up and you can't be tardy getting the lead hand behind the bag which doesn't come naturally. In other words "shoulder burn" Super strict form is needed to master these techniques. Your dedication is inspiring as is your progress.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

As I worked my way through the many exercises in the Speed Bag Bible I began to notice this- and have used it to my advantage more than a few times in helping me perceive complicated sequences in more light. The 9 punch sequence is one example.
              It reads (FDP)'(SSP)'(RDP)'(SSP)'(RDP)'(SSP)
              But can also be described as (FDP)'(S-RDP)'(R-SDP)'(RDP)'(SSP)
              Or even (FDP)'(S-RDP)'(R-SDP)'(RSP)'(R-SDP).
              It might seem obscure, but seeing the combination from a new perspective can help paint the picture in your mind of what is happening. Or what is not happening, such as in the case when I found myself stuck getting beyond the 6th punch. Breaking it up into various different pieces allowed me to see that it was irrelevant which number punch I was up to, and that the next part of the sequence was free to flow forth. It was just a matter of doing the (R-SDP)then a '(RDP)' and carrying on. Beyond that I could see it was just a matter of doing a (R-SDP)'(RSP)'(R-SDP) and boom. 9 punches.
              Another one was the R-L (FDP)'(SSP)'(RDP)'' L-R (FDP)'(SSP)'(RDP)
              Which could also be R-L (FDP)'(S-RDP)'(RSP)'' L-R (FDP)'(S-RDP)'(RSP)
              And I began to see it also as a (FDP)''(RDP) with a sideways split fist broken in half and thrown in the middle.
              The point was the more I looked at it's details the easier it became when it was time to punch it!

Discovering the S-RDP must have been an epic day in speed bag evolution!
              It is one of my favorites for sure.
              Exactly right! There is often several ways to write a combination, particularly at the level you are punching, and I found I would write it the way that I visualized it. The key, if you are into writing speed bag combinations, is understanding the individual techniques and how you can write it to remember it later (some of these combinations get pretty complicated). AND the key to understanding your "punching options" is to look at the very last fist (or elbow if it is an inward) and see what you can do with 3,2 or 1 rebounds after that last fist connects the bag. That is where the rules of rhythm come in, for after the last fist in a technique hit the bag you can go to any of the four areas around the bag (front, back, side, side) and all you have to do is figure out will it take and even (2) or odd (3,1) number or rebounds to get there smoothly. Anything you can do in 3 rebounds you and also do in 1 rebound....IF you have the control to pull it off. Sometimes that requires a Double Bump, (RSP ' RSP) or not (RSP ' SSP).
              Last edited by Speedbag; 06-28-2015, 01:13 PM.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...