• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

Echo Rhythm

Tried the rhythm using the "3 punch monty" as the first two triple beats and liked it.
    Couldn't wait for more so decided to string the 3 together and get a beat going and it came out like this.

Echo Rhythm...
    (FDP)'(SSP)''(SDP)'(RSP)''(DDES)''(RDP)''(FCP)''
    (R roll)''(F roll)''(RDP)''(FDP)''(RSP)''
    (STES)''(STES)''(SDP)''(FDP)''(RSP)'' repeat..

I'm still having fun on this beat so I will keep going on it before I move to a new sound. Next I will add in the same beat beginning with
    (RDP)'(SSP)''(SDP)'(RSP)" which is like a mirror version of my opening combo.
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

That's a great sound.

Comment

• Alex Skylakos
      • Oct 2014

Getting faster on it man!

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2015

Trying to keep an even speed between beats.
        Same echo rhythm with another combo on the front.
        (RDP)'(SSP)''(SDP)'(RSP)''(DDES)''(RDP)''(FCP)''

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
          Trying to keep an even speed between beats.
          Same echo rhythm with another combo on the front.
          (RDP)'(SSP)''(SDP)'(RSP)''(DDES)''(RDP)''(FCP)''

AWESOME!

Now, isn't that fun. Your fists and elbows are all around the bag, yet the beat remains the same.

YEA, BUDDY!

(* Shows great control of multi-sided double fist techniques, such as R-SDP, S-RDP, and three punch monty's such as FDP ' SSP or RDP ' SSP, or SDP ' RSP or SSP ' RDP. In case your wondering, this is ALL possible because of the Side Single Punch (SSP), which makes all of those options open. IMO learning to use that technique is the most important key to advancing speed bag combinations from ALL around the bag. As you master it, you will find you can create virtually ANY beat pattern you can think with you hands anywhere around the bag. If both hands are in front, you can start a triple beat ddD, with a Triple Elbow strike, and if your hands are split anywhere around the bag you can make that triple beat riff using the three punch monty combinations

Hey Seaweed, try this one. It's three technique, five punch combo:

FDP ' SSP ' RDP ' '....repeat.. example R-L ' R ' L-R ' ' to front. repeats in the same order.

aha, now you can do this once, but rotate the fist order of the FDP each time, which will take the combination around the other side of the bag.

example R-L ' R ' L-R ' ' L-R ' L ' R-L ' '..repeat. every time you rotate that FDP you will force the SSP to the other side of the bag, but the sound remains the same.

Another great little riff is to make that last technique a RSP, not RDP. This makes it a four punch combination and automatically rotates it around the other side.

FDP ' SSP ' RSP... to front. R-L ' R ' L ' ' ... You started this with a FDP in a R-L position, meaning the right fist was the lead and the left was near your chin. after you do these three techniques (four punches), you should end up with both fists in front of the bag but now in a L-R position, ready to repeat around the other side.

R-L ' R ' L ' ' L-R ' L ' R ' ' ....repeat.

When you do this fast it will sound d-d-d-D ' ' d-d-d-D with that last RSP being a bit louder.
          Last edited by Speedbag; 06-03-2015, 08:21 PM.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2015

I am seeing what you mean about the side single punch being so integral to finding combinations from any point around the bag, the SSP is like the ultimate connector and there are so many ways to use it.

The 5 punch combination you have given me to try out reads like it will be heaps of fun and I imagine it can be started from any side of the bag if needed and I bet nearly any combo could exit into this one from one point or another.
            It's basically going halfway through the "Ultimate Super Advanced Punching Combination" (Ex#5H) allowing a double rebound at the front of the bag and repeating on the other side. Now I won't be able to sleep tonight thinking about it. Either that or i'm bound to dream about it.
            Whichever, I look forward to punching it up tomorrow.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2015

I thought that combo looked familiar. It's Ex 3F. No fist hits twice in a row.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I am seeing what you mean about the side single punch being so integral to finding combinations from any point around the bag, the SSP is like the ultimate connector and there are so many ways to use it.

The 5 punch combination you have given me to try out reads like it will be heaps of fun and I imagine it can be started from any side of the bag if needed and I bet nearly any combo could exit into this one from one point or another.
                It's basically going halfway through the "Ultimate Super Advanced Punching Combination" (Ex#5H) allowing a double rebound at the front of the bag and repeating on the other side. Now I won't be able to sleep tonight thinking about it. Either that or i'm bound to dream about it.
                Whichever, I look forward to punching it up tomorrow.
                Correct, with one slight exception, at least for me. I have not found the SSP to mix on ONE rebound with a FCP. The S-RDP comes from a SSP + RSP with one rebound inbetween, but I have never found it works going the other way, so there is no S-FDP. I suppose you could do a
                SSP + FSP with one rebound but that is a very awkward motion with both fists coming into the bag and ending up pretty much in the same area.

So, if you start from the back it would go like this. ...

RDP ' SSP ' RDP or R-L ' R ' L-R . You can actually continue this repeating constantly behind the bag.

I guess if you DRAG the SSP fist in a specific way you could (theoretically) do

RDP ' SSP 'FDP... but I have never found that to work well. I find two rebounds works better, but I've been proven wrong before.

note: at the end of that FIVE punch combo FDP ' SSP ' RDP ' '....to front
                you can go to any of at least 18 different techniques. That is because you can go to at least 18 techniques after a RDP. Once both hands come to the front, you have at least 18 techniques that can follow it.

Any of the 4 front fist punches
                Any of the 12 elbow strikes (actually more like 14 of them now)
                and of the 6 side techniques.

if you don't believe just try it. Do a RDP, pass both fists to the front and try each one. They all work.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2015

Here it is- (FDP)'(SSP)'(RDP)'' rotate the fist order, repeat.

Man that was a tricky wee one Alan!
                  But like you said it has a cool sound.
                  I decided to start it with the left hand as that's how it reads in the Bible.
                  Hard to keep enough space for each fist to pass the other without becoming entwined. Very short, fast punches, I found it helpful to relax the (FDP) to prepare calmly for the flurry of (SSP)'(RDP)'' control it again on the (FDP).
                  But after I had the beat in my head (same as a 5 punch (F-roll) half the battle was won. Then the fists begin to remember where to go.

I could echo this rhythm with (STES)'(RDP)''(STES)'(RDP)'' Rotating the elbow and fist order?

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                    Keep the great vids coming, the one video looks like your baggin in candle light, is there something going on with you and that title bag
                    It's ok to rub some oil on the bag to look after it's leather, but the bag should never return this favour. I love my bag but I never 'love it long time'.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Here it is- (FDP)'(SSP)'(RDP)'' rotate the fist order, repeat.

Awesome combo! Great work. I can clearly see the rotation of FDP.

Man that was a tricky wee one Alan!
                      But like you said it has a cool sound.
                      I decided to start it with the left hand as that's how it reads in the Bible.
                      Hard to keep enough space for each fist to pass the other without becoming entwined. Very short, fast punches, I found it helpful to relax the (FDP) to prepare calmly for the flurry of (SSP)'(RDP)'' control it again on the (FDP).
                      But after I had the beat in my head (same as a 5 punch (F-roll) half the battle was won. Then the fists begin to remember where to go.

I could echo this rhythm with (STES)'(RDP)''(STES)'(RDP)'' Rotating the elbow and fist order?
                      Yes you could echo this. Tip: have the second fist of the RDP angle a bit sideways, which will help the fist get in the right position for the next outward elbow, as well as set the bag on a better angle for the next technique.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                        Yes you could echo this. Tip: have the second fist of the RDP angle a bit sideways, which will help the fist get in the right position for the next outward elbow, as well as set the bag on a better angle for the next technique.
                        Here is an echo,
                        (FDP)'(SSP)'(RDP)'
                        (STES)'(RDP)'
                        (F roll)'(R roll)'
                        (OTES)'(ODES).

I am finding these echos to be a great way to learn. They get you thinking, and because of the beat, one too many punches, or one too many rebounds and it's gone wrong. Forces you to focus and keep control.

I was mucking around on the bag, chucking (SSP) in anywhere I could and came up with this fun fist roll. I'm sure it will have been done before,
                        (R roll)'(SSP)'(F roll)'(SSP)' repeat.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Here is an echo,
                          (FDP)'(SSP)'(RDP)'
                          (STES)'(RDP)'
                          (F roll)'(R roll)'
                          (OTES)'(ODES).

I am finding these echos to be a great way to learn. They get you thinking, and because of the beat, one too many punches, or one too many rebounds and it's gone wrong. Forces you to focus and keep control.

I was mucking around on the bag, chucking (SSP) in anywhere I could and came up with this fun fist roll. I'm sure it will have been done before,
                          (R roll)'(SSP)'(F roll)'(SSP)' repeat.

Exactly right. You can get lost in creating 3,4,5 technique echo rhythms. There is an endless number of them. It was my favorite way to spend time under the board for the years before I got into Punch Drumming. By the way, many of your echo rhythms will work fine when punch drumming to music by adjusting the speed of the movements, and feeling when that combo has to start within the measure.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...