• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

Trying to adjust to a 5x8 bag

Having fun learning to control the smaller bag. Miss- hits aplenty.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post

Having fun learning to control the smaller bag. Miss- hits aplenty.
    Actually it all looks and sounds pretty good. Still a little too much shoulder-arm swaying on Side Double Punching (SDP ' ' SDP), but it is improved over your last video. Also see a few nice Side Triple Elbow Strikes (S-TES) in there also (:36 - :39 -:46...). good stuff.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 05-10-2015, 03:48 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2015

I have a question about the (SDP)-
      I have read in my Speed Bag Bible and seen video instruction showing the first punch being around the front of the bag, second punch after one rebound contacts the side of the bag. So the first rebound doesn't change the direction but the second one does?
      I have always tried to strike with both punches hitting the side of the bag and the direction change is made on the first punch, with the second rebounding the same. Is there a disadvantage with the way I am trying them? Perhaps this is where I got the shoulder swaying habit, trying to hit the side clean and get a 90degree direction change on the first punch. I have been working on a more solid and fused stance for these side punches, and doing them from the elbows rather than the shoulders but old habit seem to die hard.
      What are some benefits gained by honing this technique? I imagine hand speed will increase? Smaller circles made? Thanks Alan!

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2015

Ten days later and I have nearly worn the logo off the sides of the bag. I am glad I chose this one. I see a lot of others hitting the same one.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
          I have a question about the (SDP)-
          I have read in my Speed Bag Bible and seen video instruction showing the first punch being around the front of the bag, second punch after one rebound contacts the side of the bag. So the first rebound doesn't change the direction but the second one does?
          I have always tried to strike with both punches hitting the side of the bag and the direction change is made on the first punch, with the second rebounding the same. Is there a disadvantage with the way I am trying them? Perhaps this is where I got the shoulder swaying habit, trying to hit the side clean and get a 90degree direction change on the first punch. I have been working on a more solid and fused stance for these side punches, and doing them from the elbows rather than the shoulders but old habit seem to die hard.
          What are some benefits gained by honing this technique? I imagine hand speed will increase? Smaller circles made? Thanks Alan!
          No, I don't think there is a disadvantage to doing it that way. Hitting the front area of the bag with the lead fist can be variable because the front area covers about two panels (with a seam toward you), so if you hit the outward side of the front area you might think you are also hitting that outward part of the side area. In your case you can hit that part of the front area and angle your lead fist in more a side motion, (dragging it across your face, rather than punching out, extending forward) and you might think you are hitting the side of the bag. The key is the direction your lead fist travels, just as much as the area of the bag struck. But the core position for me in the SDP is having the lead fist hit the front area. If I extend my lead fist to the side and try to connect it really kinks the wrist in a weird position, otherwise your forearm will hit the side of the bag trying to get your fist to the side, and yes that will cause you to probably extend your arms more to make it easier, and cause you to swing from the shoulder, not the elbows. at least that is how I see it.
          Last edited by Speedbag; 05-19-2015, 06:54 PM.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• speedball708
            • Apr 2015

Your well on your way. Impressive!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...