• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpeedBagSkunk
    Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

Speed bag skunk around the world!

Just walkin around, and workin the bag! got a little dizzy there at the end!
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • hispanicmakingpanic
    • May 2007

That's blazing fast and rhythmic! Another skunk exclusive... Check out my slow version:

I try the Coach Tom approach of speedbag on the move. It's murder on my tiny calves...

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by hispanicmakingpanic View Post
      That's blazing fast and rhythmic! Another skunk exclusive... Check out my slow version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kqczHGuPMo

Skunk-light perhaps?

just kidding. Moving around the speed bag while punching is harder than people think. Particularly when using legitimate boxing footwork.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
        • May 2007

Yeah it really is Alan! I was trying to go three whole minutes but it's harder said than done. How about skunk induced? LOL...

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by hispanicmakingpanic View Post
          Yeah it really is Alan! I was trying to go three whole minutes but it's harder said than done. How about skunk induced? LOL...
          Skunk was side stepping around the bag in normal speed bag striking stance, just walking around the bag, which is not nearly as difficult as doing it in a boxer stance and bouncing lightly on the balls of the feet. The adding bobbing up and down and weight shift changes required for the various punches makes it a bit more difficult to freely circle the bag, particularly if it's on a close wall. That is why the open air boxing gyms had every bag in a ring, without walls, to allow full movement all around. Boxers did not just stand, punch the speed bag and walk a circle around it. They "boxed" around it using footwork and defensive motions. That takes a little extra coordination.

I notice in all your videos, HMP, you us fairly strict boxing stances and full body movements. I rarely see you just standing and punching, which probably reflects your many years of training. The real deal, as they say.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaguiler
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2007

HMP -

- he means to say - just stand still and hit the bag like the rest of us !!!! you are making me dizzy...

just kidding bro - looks good !

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
              • May 2007

on the move

Thanks alot for the analysis and kind words my friend. You're right, of course, and it is the original way I used to work the bag back when my legs where fresher. You get a rhythm throughout your whole body and it kind of feels like a dance in a way. I reccomend it for any serious pugilist.

Comment

• ashe
                • Jun 2007

wow, i'm glad to see the conversation taking this turn! i actually hung my platform a bit low to force me to use my true stance, and to incorporate more of our shen fa (body method) into my "bag work".

i was afraid that the purists wouldn't approve! of course, i really don't know what i'm doing with the thing and i'm trying to figure it out as i go...

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                  • May 2007

I know what you mean ashe... I was a bit skeptical because I didn't have the same style or technique as the purists, but I was accepted and encouraged regardless. I have to say Alan has been outstanding in his support and generosity, and the rest of the forum members have taken me in and renewed my love for the speedbag. As Alan mentioned, I try to keep a strict boxing approach to all my workouts so if you need tips or have advice to share don't hesitate to holla.

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by SpeedBagSkunk View Post
                    Just walkin around, and workin the bag! got a little dizzy there at the end!
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmrmUUkm_qw
                    Dude,.........I AM NOT WORTHY
                    sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ashe View Post
                      wow, i'm glad to see the conversation taking this turn! i actually hung my platform a bit low to force me to use my true stance, and to incorporate more of our shen fa (body method) into my "bag work".

i was afraid that the purists wouldn't approve! of course, i really don't know what i'm doing with the thing and i'm trying to figure it out as i go...
                      Ashe, I believe an intelligent "purist" can (and should) adapt the bag to THEIR needs. I believe that YOU should define how the speed bag, or any equipment is to be used in your personal training. Their are "accepted" traditional ways, and sometimes modern prejudices disregard the wisdom of the ages. Many people today only view the speed bag as "boxing equipment". Nonsense. I prefer it more as a drum. A rhythmic instrument that only boxing has truly accepted, and adapted it to it's own use.

The martial artist is the most adaptive athlete I know. My MA master, Kyong sik Song could dance a mean jig with an umbrella, or fight off a crowd with it. Any article could be a weapon. He adapted everything, but teaches every MA style as a pure stand alone art.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ashe
                        • Jun 2007

i checked out your (Sempai's?) website. interesting curriculum. looks like i'm in the right place!

you guys ever come to the taiji legacy tournament in dallas? that's where i'll be fighting on the 22nd.
                        Last edited by ashe; 07-04-2007, 01:46 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ashe View Post
                          i checked out your (Sempai's?) website. interesting curriculum. looks like i'm in the right place!

you guys ever come to the taiji legacy tournament in dallas? that's where i'll be fighting on the 22nd.

NO, I have never been to that tournament, but My daughter just moved to Downtown Dallas and now I've got a place to stay. I may have to come up and check that out. I can find the plano centre, for my wife used to teach off hwy 121 years ago. My shoulder surgeon's office just off 1-75N also. What time is your first fight? (...and where you staying in that area?)
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...