• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randitto
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2015

Swivels

Just curious which swivels are used and common here I myself really prefer the chain link swivel as opposed to the S hook or the U design I find the link swivel is just more fluid in every direction of the bag.
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

I prefer any ball/hook swivel....new or vintage. Even rope on an eyehook sometimes!
    DeVille & Evil Powermill are my daily swivels.

Oh... and a vintage Nicols Tommy T customized for me!
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• fedora
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2012

I started out with a chain link, but after I started doing more side to side combo's and different angles, on occasions the chain link would bind and throw off the hit. It doesn't happen every time but after getting used to the ball hook I found it never happens and I could keep my set going longer without a miss hit. I ended up doing a modification to a ball hook where I put a cut down eyebolt that I opened up the eye on and then put a leather strap on it. So the eye goes into the ball and the strap on the eye. The bag never comes off nor does the hook ever hang up on the eye.

fedora

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Bag attached by a paracord loop to a rotating eyehook is my favorite in the winter on my unheated porch because -- no lube. Smooth action even below zero. Ball hook is still the way to go for most people, Fedora's mod sounds right to me.

Comment

• RenoRattler
          • Sep 2009

I started on a chain link. Ball hook all the way for me now. Powermill for me as well. I prefer the action of a ball hook.

Comment

• Bkin10secs
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Dec 2014

Since a couple of members have mentioned the Powermill swivel...can anyone tell me how to purchase one of these swivels. Thanks

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

This question keeps coming up of late. A few years ago one of our members designed and fabricated what has become regarded as one of the best ball and hook swivels ever made. These are hand made one at a time beauty's that over time have achieved near legendary status. The rub of this is that he is employed by a major railroad and spends a great deal of time on the road, much more now than when he started making the "Evil" swivel during the economic recession. The end result is that production for all intent and purposes has come to a halt.

The DeVille line of swivels, made by Ms Deville's "trainer" Raul are also an excellent swivel and readily available. BTW Raul was heavily involved with "the sweet science" and knows what works and what doesn't. His efforts are featured in a lot of MsDeville's posts on these boards.

Comment

• pringlebits
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Feb 2015

How much do the power mills cost? I sent him an email a week ago and haven't heard anything yet. I really hope to get my hands on one soon! My first bag is in the mail and I want to start bagging' the right way.

Comment

• Dutchman
                  Speed Bag Historian
                  • Jun 2006

And you might not hear from him for a while. The work he does has him out on the line sometimes for several weeks before he gets home. As far as what they cost, I personally don't know, perhaps some of our members who have purchased one can inform you. They weren't inexpensive as I recall, a lot of hand work involved.
                  Last edited by Dutchman; 03-06-2015, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...