Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevdawg0324
    • Oct 2006

i agree with you on that Speedbag. i tried the combo both ways and the other seemed unnatural. yet again, someone like, lets say billymack or skunk, would call it challenging, but not impossible. i personally look at it like this; if it cant be thown into a "freestyle" speedbagging session without losing timing rythym and tempo, then i tend to lose interest in the combo fairly quickly.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Kevdawg0324 View Post
      i agree with you on that Speedbag. i tried the combo both ways and the other seemed unnatural. yet again, someone like, lets say billymack or skunk, would call it challenging, but not impossible. i personally look at it like this; if it cant be thown into a "freestyle" speedbagging session without losing timing rythym and tempo, then i tend to lose interest in the combo fairly quickly.
      Well said. Me too.

I've seen some incredible combinations that look amazing but feel very unnatural to me. I guess if I had a shoulder that would cooperate and allow the requisite practice, or the time to spend on it, I would be more inclined to match everything I see, but I'm satisfied knowing I can figure out what they did and write it down in an understandable format.

Concerning YOUR combo, (Reverse Rolls to Triple Elbows) I played with that and got a cool triple beat "echo" out of it. The Reverse Roll will have three punches (echo of the three beats of The Triple Elbow Strikes). After the Outward or Downward Triple, Start the R-Roll with the last fist of the elbow strike (shown in the first combo below). That fist will hit the 1st and 3rd time in the 3-punch Roll, and come foreward to lead the next Triple Elbow, thereby automatically rotating the lead and arm of the next Triple Elbow (shown in last combo below). the last fist of the Elbow strike will automatically rotate, and that is the key to change the lead.

L-L/R....RLR.......R-R\L.....LRL......L\R-R.....RLR......R-R\L
      OTES ' ' R-Roll ' ' Otes ' ' R-Roll ' ' DTES ' ' R-Roll ' ' Otes.....
      e-f/f.................e-f\f.................f\ef..................e-f\f

this happens quick. there is only three contacts per side and it' easy to get your hand tied up behind the bag. Hard to do really fast.

Let me know when you want to attempt a few more combo's off the reverse area. we can start throwing in some side work with it.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
        • Oct 2006

"down and out" combo. http://youtube.com/watch?v=2JKmuULD-2g

i would love to learn some side tech. off the r-roll!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

"down and out" combo. http://youtube.com/watch?v=2JKmuULD-2g

i would love to learn some side tech. off the r-roll!

Actually, this should be pretty easy for you.

The next part comes from the fact that it is possible to do TWO side combo's that feature a RSP on one rebound. First, The Reverse-Side Double Punch (R-SDP). Here, the lead fist is the RSP and the second fist is the Side Single Punch (after one rebound. Try it on "3" rebounds first. RSP ' ' ' SSP. "3" is an odd number, so it will work on "1" and create the double punch technique.)

So, you could have the "last" fist of a R-Roll also be the lead fist of a R-SDP.

Part 1:

R-Roll ' SSP. you might want to start this from Reverse Double Punch

R-L.....R
          RDP ' SSP

in that example, the Right fist, shifts slightly to the Right to contact the "rear-Side" panel of the bag (*L.....R = R-SDP. ).

You could also write this:

R........L-R
          RSP ' R-SDP - - - - - But it looks a lot harder to do.

In the RDP ' SSP, The SSP changes the rebound angle to the side. As the R fist contacts the Side of the bag, the left joins it going to the left side, going out to the SSP position. If done correctly, after this combo your hands will end up in a perfect Side Double Punch Set up (*see tim in pictures 4 and 5 down..)

So, you do a RDP (or R-Roll), and stick a SSP on after one rebound, which leads to the SDP set up.

Part 2

There is also A Side-Reverse Double Punch (S-RDP), although it is not done by itself very much, it really is used a lot at the advanced level in combo's like this:

Do combo in Part 1, then do a SDP. the lead fist hits the front of the bag in FCP, the second fist hits the SSP, and the lead passes behind to do a RSP. As described, the SSP is also the lead fist of the S-RDP. the fist doing SSP simply joins the other fist behind to create either a RDP or R-Roll.

Using a R-Roll, it looks like this:

LRLRL....R.......R-L....RLRL
          R-Roll ' SSP ' ' SDP ' R-Roll

notice above that the last combo R....L contains the unwritten S-RDP, but the fist order creates it.

I could also write that like this...

LRLRL....R........R.......L-R.....LRL
          R-Roll ' SSP ' ' FCP ' S-RDP ' R-Roll

But I prefer the SDP ' R-Roll combo, since the second fist of the S-RDP is actually a RSP, it is already behind the bag and begins the R-Roll anyway. Truth is, I very seldom write a combo with the S-RDP abbreviation since it rarely happens by itself (on my bag) and is mostly important for allowing one rebound between the Side Double Punch (SDP), or the Side Triple Elbow Strike (STES) - to - Reverse techniques on one rebound. Same thing with the R-SDP. It occurs a lot in advance combo's.

Anywhere you see the SDP, it could also be a STES.

(* STES is nothing more than the OTES with the second fist being a SSP instead of a front fist. )

the combo's above are pretty easy. You should do it really quick.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
            • Oct 2006

All right, this is what i have so far. i just want to know if im doing it right or not. http://youtube.com/watch?v=FVlv92CMLdQ

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

All right, this is what i have so far. i just want to know if im doing it right or not. http://youtube.com/watch?v=FVlv92CMLdQ
              Very close...

It's easy to get your hands tied up behind the bag. This combo just helps you get used to having the hands behind the bag as the home position. You can go From the Reverse TO the side on one rebound, and you can go From the Side TO reverse on one rebound, continuously.

That swivel really doesn't help for the constant changes of planes around the bag.

that's why I prefer a ballhook...
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
                • Oct 2006

youve given me somthing to work on for a while now. ill keep practicing. thanks!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

By the way, you can get to the SSP after one rebound from the Front also.

After a FDP, or Outward or Downward Triple Elbow Strike , the lead fist can do a SSP after one rebound, and at that point the combo can continue from the point of the SSP.

FDP....' SSP ' ' SDP ' RDP ' SSP.....
                  OTES
                  DTES
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
                    • Oct 2006

possibilities are endless arent they?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

possibilities are endless arent they?
                      Yes, they are. I learn new stuff all the time.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...