X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

Side Punches

Shirtless and knockin' out some decent side punches...

• Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

looking good. You might try to keep the upper arms (shoulders) a little more steady going sideways and move from the elbows. Imagine a cup of coffee balanced on your humerus, (upper arm), and as you go side-to-side, don't spill the coffee (keep the arms up).

You might also try to use the Reverse-Side Double Punch. (R-SDP).

Try a R-L Front Double Punch. the lead (R) goes to the side, the Left (L) passes through to the back of the bag, and the Left Leads back for a L-R Reverse-Side Double Punch. Looks like this

R-L......L-R
    FDP ' ' R-SDP.

....either fist can go to either area.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BillyMack
      • Sep 2006

would both punches then be side punches or do you mean bring the left back through straight and make the right a side punch?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
        would both punches then be side punches or do you mean bring the left back through straight and make the right a side punch?
        Yes, the "Reverse - Side Double Punch" (R-SDP) means, the Lead fist comes from the Reverse position, the Second Fist comes from the Side, after one rebound. That makes it a "..Double Punch".

The "Side Double Punch" (SDP) should more correctly be called a "Front-Side Double Punch", since the lead fist hits the front of the bag and second fist hits the side. When creating the names, I had used the Side Double Punch and had written many combo' using that symbol. Then I discovered the Reverse-Side Double Punch (R-SDP) and much later, a "Side-Reverse Double Punch" (S-RDP). I did not change the name of the original SDP to F-SDP for a couple of reasons.

1. too lazy, for I had already written much about that technique, and written many combo's using the symbol. It is a major pain to re-write all the combo's and get the font spacing correct for the letters above and below the name line in the abbeviation. (* one slight change in a written combo changes the spacing of the whole line of type... )

2. If I used the term "Front-Side Double Punch" I would also have to differentiate between which front punch lead the technique - A FCP or FSP. That just made it too complicated so I left it as it was.

that is the only technique name that does NOT really follow my system of describing exactly what happens to make the double punch technique. FDP, RDP, R-SDP, S-RDP all show the fist order and bag area. SDP does not. It should be
        F-SDP.

mea culpa.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BillyMack
          • Sep 2006

that was post number 666 for you!

Thanks for explaining the difference; I suppose you;re off the hook for now....

Edit: Alan, help!! The only way I can get a true side to side action is by dropping my elbows. If I keep my arms up I can't get the angle right and it ends up going diagonally, somewhere between side-to-side and front-to-back....any suggestions?
          Last edited by BillyMack; 06-20-2007, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
            that was post number 666 for you!

Thanks for explaining the difference; I suppose you;re off the hook for now....

Edit: Alan, help!! The only way I can get a true side to side action is by dropping my elbows. If I keep my arms up I can't get the angle right and it ends up going diagonally, somewhere between side-to-side and front-to-back....any suggestions?
            You are right, it does kinda go diagonally. But the right timing makes it work. With the elbow up, put a fist out to the side position, and just change them at the same time: one out to side, one side to in (by chin). Kind of like a windshield washer motion. All from the elbows. It works for me (when I could keep my elbows locked up in that position...)
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...