• Show
Clear All
  • Skinner
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2014

First Homemade Speed bag Platform

Hey guys and gals,
    I got my platform made for my new speed bag
    Its made from square steel tube and 2 pcs or 3/4 plywood.
    It's adjustable.
    I do have some vibration so I will need to support the top a bit more.

I hit the speed bag at the gym as I pass by it for about 5 or 10 mins.
    Now I have my own set up in my shop, so I should be able to practice a bit more.

All I can do at this time is keep the 1-2-3 beat going very slow...I mean real slow...then it goes out of control.

This is a great forum, and I'm learning a lot from the reading of your posts...
    Thanks.
    Skinner
    Attached Files
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Just remember, it's not a race. We often refer to it as "the control bag" rather than a speed bag. Once you master the control part, the speed will come naturally. Patience is in order, but in the end the rewards will come.

Comment

• Skinner
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      Just remember, it's not a race. We often refer to it as "the control bag" rather than a speed bag. Once you master the control part, the speed will come naturally. Patience is in order, but in the end the rewards will come.
      Thanks Dutchman, Your right about the control...I get that bag spinning around like a windmill when I lose it.

Im glad no ones around to watch me

Im realy happy I now have it rigged up in my work shop...First thing when I get out there in the am i'm going to get on it and try to keep the bag controled for 5 mins...That will be my goal

Skinner

Comment

• swfl
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2013

Hello Skinner. Your round cut looks pretty good. how did you do it? Some angle bracing or something from above will do the trick. A solid drum is desirable. Enjoy and post a video for us.

Comment

• Skinner
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Feb 2014

I need to practice for a week or so before you see any video from this old cowboy

I cut the ply with a jigsaw.

I had some practice time today, I noticed the bag lost some air and it wasn't rebounding too good, so I topped it up.

I do need some more support at the front of the drum... I'm a fab guy so there's lots of steel around the shop.

I must admit I thought I could get away without too much structure on the platform... It needs some beefing up.

Skinner

Comment

• Skinner
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Feb 2014

Video of my homemade platform

This is as good as Skinner gets

I know I have a long way to go.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Whats the next step to get the bag moving?

Thanks for looking

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Great! You have the basic rhythm down with the right-hand front circle punch... now work on the left and alternate between the two. Try a front straight punch followed by a front circle punch....you got this!
              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• speedbag4life
                • Jun 2007

You look like every single one of us when we got started. Nice steady rhythm there. Keep it up!

Comment

• Skinner
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                  ...The first thing I would do is change out that swivel, because it will slow your progress when you start hitting from all angles and try using both fist, try switching from one side to the other, then next you could alternate both fist. You could also hit with your knuckles if your more into boxing the bag...ralph
                  I thought someone would point to that swivel...It's a everlast and I think I may try to make my own...Thanks for the tips. I will do the knuckles.

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                  Great! You have the basic rhythm down with the right-hand front circle punch... now work on the left and alternate between the two. Try a front straight punch followed by a front circle punch....you got this!
                  Hello Zaza I did the switching around today...I forgot about the left hand
                  The drum Is much better now with the 2 stiffeners...I got this...Thanks for the advice.

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
                  You look like every single one of us when we got started. Nice steady rhythm there. Keep it up!
                  Thanks...I hope to look back and see all the fun I'm having.

Here's my 2nd video after I put the 2 brackets on to stiffen the drum up.
                  I does feel better.
                  I was punching that bag for a good 1/2 hr before I recorded it.

Thanks...Here's the new one
                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                  Last edited by Skinner; 03-14-2014, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Zaza
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2011

That bracing makes all the difference in the world...nice job. I see you're adding left & right...both straight and circle punches, excellent! I think you're hooked.

Comment

• Skinner
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Zaza View Post

That bracing makes all the difference in the world...nice job. I see you're adding left & right...both straight and circle punches, excellent! I think you're hooked.

Yup with a big grin on my face...I love this speed bag.

Thanks for embeding the video for me, I'm not too clear on how to do that just yet.

I'm all set for the summer now, I have it set up at the back of my shop, so In my spare time I can hit the bag...Good plan?

I hear its good for the shoulders too.

Next step is to get the speed bag bible in the ole shop for some reading.

Comment

• swfl
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2013

Nice job Skinner. The drum looks real solid. Could be wrong but the bag sounds a little full. I fully agree with the ballhook. I started with the same ubolt and liked it very much. However with time you will find the limitations and probably switch. It took me several weeks to get back to where I was. Good job and keep the videos coming.

Comment

• Skinner
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Feb 2014

I'm not sure how many# are to be in the bag.

One thing for sure the bag loses air.

It's a brand new bag.

I do plan to make a ball swivel when I have a rainy day.

Thanks all.

I Also ordered the Speed bag bible.

Cheered

Skinner

Comment

• Dutchman
                            Speed Bag Historian
                            • Jun 2006

Unless you have a gauge that can accurately read in the single digits, what we do is pump up the bag untill you can easily push the leather in about a quarter of an inch max. You can add or delete a little to suit your skill level. Just starting you want the bag to react a little slow so that you can get the feel of it. Once you gain proficiencey you can add a little bit more, which will speed up the rebound.

Comment

• Zaza
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                              Unless you have a gauge that can accurately read in the single digits, what we do is pump up the bag untill you can easily push the leather in about a quarter of an inch max. You can add or delete a little to suit your skill level. Just starting you want the bag to react a little slow so that you can get the feel of it. Once you gain proficiencey you can add a little bit more, which will speed up the rebound.
                              Dutchman speaks the truth!

Depending on the bag, I've found 4-5lbs. is about right. This tool is a good one to have:

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...