• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flyovercntry
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2013

It Ain't Pretty

My contribution to the forum - hoping this might give some people the confidence to post a vid, irrespective of skill level. First ever session on the speed bag, and 1 week later. Constructive criticism welcome...

Last edited by flyovercntry; 10-10-2013, 06:15 PM.
  • flyovercntry
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2013

fixed?

Comment

• fiddlergrl
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Aug 2013

I can view them. Thanks for posting. My goal for this weekend is to make a recording. How do you like the Title platform?

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

• flyovercntry
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Sep 2013

No major complaints about the platform except for the mounting bolts (sleeve bolts) are cheap. The instructions claim they are 1/2 inch, but mine were 5/8, and I spent an hour prying the first one out of the wall when it bent. Bought some wedge anchors, put a sandbag on top, and it is pretty solid. Glad I got it for a good deal as the normal retail price is way too high for the amount of plastic on the unit, but it does adjust nicely, and it doesn't wiggle mounted to the cement wall.

Comment

• Dumbcluck
          • Jun 2013

getting better

not bad at all. maybe just try to keep your elbows up and keep a basic rhythm. I noticed you would do 2 on the left hand then 3 on the right.
          its easy to count even numbers when you hit. work on control first and the speed will come. thats what everyone told me and its true. but lets face it, fast is fun. it aint called a slow bag!
          seriously, good job. coming along nicely and cool to watch from the start too. im sure you'll get a kick outta watchin it in a few months.
          Jimbo

Comment

• Allentown
            • Oct 2010

That is how I started too. Keep practicing - you will improve
            Try lowering the height of it a little bit.

Comment

• justo(c)
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jul 2013

Keep practicing and learning new techniques and you will be bagging like a pro soon enough. This is good progress, most certainly.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by flyovercntry View Post
                No major complaints about the platform except for the mounting bolts (sleeve bolts) are cheap. The instructions claim they are 1/2 inch, but mine were 5/8, and I spent an hour prying the first one out of the wall when it bent. Bought some wedge anchors, put a sandbag on top, and it is pretty solid. Glad I got it for a good deal as the normal retail price is way too high for the amount of plastic on the unit, but it does adjust nicely, and it doesn't wiggle mounted to the cement wall.
                If it adjusts nicely than I would suggest lowering the bag. It could be the lower camera angle shooting upwards, but your bag contact point seems to be about your forhead, which will making passing the fists through to other sides more difficult, for it will be hard to hold your elbows up that high to get a good straight line pass through motion.

Timing and motions appear to be fine, good contacts and repetitive rhythm. Not bad at all for your short time under the board.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• flyovercntry
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Sep 2013

Thanks for the advice everyone. I do have the bag at my eyebrow level. Right now the speed bag supplements my boxing/mma training, but I will be moving on to the bible-style after I get more comfortable with rhythm and motion in the more traditional style. Here's a look after a month. Maybe in a year or so I'll be able to put some complex combinations together with some music like the pro's on the forum.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by flyovercntry View Post
                    Thanks for the advice everyone. I do have the bag at my eyebrow level. Right now the speed bag supplements my boxing/mma training, but I will be moving on to the bible-style after I get more comfortable with rhythm and motion in the more traditional style. Here's a look after a month. Maybe in a year or so I'll be able to put some complex combinations together with some music like the pro's on the forum.

I look forward to seeing that. You can hit to music now, just using your basic punching pattern. Listen to a song, tap your foot to the beat. Then start punching in your normal triplet pattern from the front, adjusting your punching so your fist punching hit "on the beat", when you foot taps. The first loud rebound will be "on the beat" and you will feel your bag rhythm sync up to the song. Don't worry about rebounds 2 or 3. the add a bit of beat variety, but the key to timing your punching to the music beat is the first "punched beat". We call that straight time punching. You can do it now.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                      Getting better and better, to be honest with you I used to think that my platform had to be alittle high for Boxing/MMA training, but I was wrong. what I found out is if I lowered my platform I would get less fatigue in my shoulders and there for have much more time with getting my technique and accuracy of my strikes down...ralph (edit) also with time that over rotation can do damage to your shoulders but this depends on the person and condition your shoulders are in but with years of over repetitive reach you will do damage. As with anything that has years of repetitive use things ware out, by lowering the platform you'll get more years outta your shoulders with less stress. But thats just my opinion...ralph
                      I absolutely agree, it's my opinion too.

...and I have the X-rays to prove it.
                      Last edited by Speedbag; 11-08-2013, 07:23 AM.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...