• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swfl
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2013

New Drum

Here is my latest drum. A special thanks to both Mark and Shane who did most of the work. Ipe wood(very dense hardwood) 30x26x5.5 inches thick.. Total weight about 150 lbs. Hoping to put a new swivel by Jumpcannon on it.
    Attached Files
  • juxt
    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

wow. beautiful platform

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Beautiful... I hope the wall can hold it!
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Man, can wait to hear you play it!
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rehamco1
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Aug 2013

what a beautiful platform

Comment

• Rick
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Sep 2013

Very Nice platform! What type of glue did you use?

Comment

• swfl
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2013

Thank you for the kind comments. The contruction was labor intensive. First the material had grooves on both sides for concealed fasteners. So that had to be ripped off with a tablesaw. Then, run through a planer to true the finished edge. Titebond glue http://www.titebond.com/titebond_woo...Wood_Glue.aspx spread on the surfaces clamped in place and screwed to the double plywood base and also screwed to the other pieces. All screws had to have pilot holes and countersink. The exposed fasteners on the perimeter were drilled and plugged. Ipe is a very difficult wood to work.http://www.ipe-wood.com/ Unsure what to do with the finish. Spar varnish I think. Maybe just oil it as we do with decking. This project was not very cost effective if you consider the material is 5.00 per ln foot and there was a ton of labor. Moving Friday and this is the drum for the condo. I am hopefull this platform and my DeVille swivel will keep my neighbors happy. I am in an outside unit with concrete walls to mount to. We will see!

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

Have you ever used tung oil for a finish? It does require a little work applying , but it's durable and you can deal with blemishes afterwards by just applying another coat over top. It's good looking to boot.

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                  Have you ever used tung oil for a finish? It does require a little work applying , but it's durable and you can deal with blemishes afterwards by just applying another coat over top. It's good looking to boot.
                  Plus one on the tung oil... I used it to finish a banjo neck, it really brings out the beauty of the natural wood.

...and my guess is with that attached to an outer concrete wall, no one will be the wiser! Great build.
                  Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                  http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                    I'm assuming you don't mean the original Tung brush and gel, which didn't help the look of my boards but they certainly smelled fresher.

jk. I don't know anything about wood finishing, except when I'm done with it, it's finished and I call a carpenter to fix it.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by swfl View Post
                      Unsure what to do with the finish. Spar varnish I think. Maybe just oil it as we do with decking.
                      I believe you were taking a noise effective approach for this platform. In case you plan to use poly, As far as noise reduction aspect, I only polyurethaned the sides of mine, and left the bottom side where the bag hits unfinished. I got feedback for another member that the poly on the bottom side made a loud smacking noise.
                      -Anthony

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bag-A-Holic View Post
                        I believe you were taking a noise effective approach for this platform. In case you plan to use poly, As far as noise reduction aspect, I only polyurethaned the sides of mine, and left the bottom side where the bag hits unfinished. I got feedback for another member that the poly on the bottom side made a loud smacking noise.
                        I would prefer the deeper tone of the board. Funny how there is so much variance in the sound of the rebound.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• swfl
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2013

We use a product call penofin http://www.penofin.com/products_exotichardwood.shtml it stays oily for about a week. That's the plan.

Comment

• swfl
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2013

All oiled up

Took it to a shop today they trued it on a large planer. Oiled and ready to mount Friday.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Yowser!

That drum is simply GORGEOUS!

WoW!!

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...