X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jollygood49
    • Jan 2013

Like bouncing a basketball off a driveway

My old 2" platform cracked after a very humid week here in Wisconsin. I've seen many butcher block type platforms on here and decided I liked the look of wood way more than the black paint I had on my previous platform. This set up may not be pretty (I think the drum is) but boy is it solid.
    Attached Files
  • AtTheCross
    • Dec 2012

wow, yep shouldn't be any vibrations on that bad boy
    1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

XMarkfitness platform
    Active Bags: - N.O.S. Ringside 4x7 - N.O.S. Ringside Tear Drop 5x8 - Balazs Lazer 6x9
    DevilleSwivel No.13 - Horizontal
    Powermill Evil Swivel - Vertical (to be installed)
    Retired Bags:
    Pro Mex 5x8 - Everlast 4214 7x10

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

Looks great. Where'd you get the butcher block ?

Comment

• Jollygood49
        • Jan 2013

I got it from work, it's actually just a chunk of mahogany perfect plank used for manufacturing. We use 2"-6" perfect plank in pine, mahogany, poplar, and also synthetic materials in the same sizes. I liked the look of the mahogany the best by far, especially after spraying it for that glossy finish.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

That's a beauty Jollygood. With a drum that thick, does it have a distinctive sound when punching? Mahogany is a nice choice of wood.
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

I am liking that! Nice!!
            The Speed Ball should be in every hall

Comment

• Jollygood49
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
              That's a beauty Jollygood. With a drum that thick, does it have a distinctive sound when punching? Mahogany is a nice choice of wood.
              Surprisingly the bag hitting the 4" drum sounds very similar to the 1 3/4" plywood drum I have mounted next to it. I will try to post a video in the near future if I get a chance.

Comment

• Marlon
                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Jollygood49 View Post
                My old 2" platform cracked after a very humid week here in Wisconsin. I've seen many butcher block type platforms on here and decided I liked the look of wood way more than the black paint I had on my previous platform. This set up may not be pretty (I think the drum is) but boy is it solid.
                That's like someone apologizing for Kate Upton wearing socks that don't match...(Nobody is looking at her feet) - Just like nobody is looking at the mount - That board is smokin! Nice work sir!

Must've been a bear to get it into position - What's it weigh?

Oh, yeah - How did you crack the old one? Or was that just an excuse to put up this one? (Not that anyone could blame you)

Comment

• Jollygood49
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Marlon View Post
                  That's like someone apologizing for Kate Upton wearing socks that don't match...(Nobody is looking at her feet) - Just like nobody is looking at the mount - That board is smokin! Nice work sir!

Must've been a bear to get it into position - What's it weigh?
                  Thank you very much for the compliments. I didn't weigh the platform before mounting it but I would guess it'd weigh about 75 lbs. plus or minus. Mounting it wasn't too bad but it was a little scary without steel toes on. I lifted it to the rough position, then spread my telescoping cargo bar (I use in the bed of my truck) from the floor to the platform. Once it was held up by the cargo bar my hands were free to get a couple quick grips on and tada, a couple small adjustments and I screwed it in place.

I like the Kate Upton metaphor by the way haha!
                  Last edited by Jollygood49; 08-25-2013, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• Jollygood49
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Marlon View Post
                    Oh, yeah - How did you crack the old one? Or was that just an excuse to put up this one? (Not that anyone could blame you)
                    I noticed a large crack running across my old drum during a very humid week here in Wisconsin. The old drum was mahogany perfect plank also but I only sealed and painted the sides and bottom. I think being hasty and neglecting to seal the top along with the high humidity led to it's demise.

Comment

• FrankP
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Apr 2016

Where can I get the Mahogony Perfect Plank like your speed bag drum? I am adding new gear to my garage boxing gym and would lve a custom one like that. Any info will be appreciated.

Comment

• Jollygood49
                        • Jan 2013

My work orders it through Freeman Supply. I was lucky enough to find the pieces I needed in our scrap rack. I'm not sure what it costs, if a business account is needed to order from them or if there are other companies that sell it but maybe try your luck with google and see what you can find. Good luck!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...