• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by hispanicmakingpanic View Post
    Sorry it took awhile to respond, my town was hit by tornadoes, but it's all good.
    Hey 'Panic, What town was this?

I lost four giant trees last May ( 2006 ) and a bunch of my roof shingles. Most of the Big trees in my neighborhood came down. Lucky none hit my house.

Hope your area is OK
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaguiler
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2007

Alan - my psychic ability tells me it is "El Reno" -

HMP - I hope everything comes out ok with your town and family

Skunk - raise that platform ....

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
        • May 2007

Tornadoes

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        Hey 'Panic, What town was this?

I lost four giant trees last May ( 2006 ) and a bunch of my roof shingles. Most of the Big trees in my neighborhood came down. Lucky none hit my house.

Hope your area is OK
        Town of El Reno, Oklahoma Sir. It did extensive damage to some of our businesses here and passed only blocks away from my house. It scared me and my wife half to death because we don't have a basement. I stood on my porch and made sure it wasn't coming towards us and witnessed some truly nasty weather. We lost a giant tree as well. Thank you for you and jaguiler for your good wishes.
        Last edited by hispanicmakingpanic; 05-09-2007, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• jaguiler
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2007

here is a question - keep in mind I am on the Mid Atlantic coast DC area....

When you don't have a basement, and the storm is coming, and you are watching it.... wouldn't it be better to simply drive away, out of town at 100 mph rather than watching it ? what would you do if it headed your way towards your house ?

I ask because I am unfamiliar with this type of situation... thx...

Comment

• BillyMack
            • Sep 2006

Yay for Okies!

HMP-
            My last assignment was in the dreaded Panhandle of Oklahoma, and since my girl was living in Tulsa I drove through that area many many times. I remember a nasty twister in March of '04 up in Kingfisher.

Check out this pic of me in my cowboy gear:

Even though my profile says California I've spent a great deal of time in Oklahoma. I will be there later this month for a family reunion in Vinita. If I had more time I'd say we should hook-up but I don't think I'll be able to make it that way.

jaguiler - They say it's more dangerous to be out on the roads during a tornado than to be inside a structure. At the same time, there is definitely an eerie attraction to the storm. The sky turns into a surreal swirl of grey/green and you can literally feel the pressure change. This happens well ahead of and long after the actual twister comes through (if at all) so most people don't go right into panic mode. I shouldn't speak for HMP but I'm sure he had a plan B in case the beast headed toward him. However, there are a few lost souls out there whose bravery far exceeds their intelligence. When I was in college (Ok. State) we would try to chase the storms for thrills (pretty stupid, I know).
            Last edited by BillyMack; 05-10-2007, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
              • May 2007

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post

When you don't have a basement, and the storm is coming, and you are watching it.... wouldn't it be better to simply drive away, out of town at 100 mph rather than watching it ? what would you do if it headed your way towards your house ?

I've been asked that alot here lately, especially by my family. Here's my logic: I want to see with my own eyes, and not from the weatherman, which way it's going before I take off in my Jeep. The reason for this is the sheer unpredictability of these twisters. You could litterally drive right int one if you are not careful. My little sister was with her boyfriend and tried to drive to the Hospital and ended up getting caught out in the violent conditions because driving conditions were next to impossible. My older sister hydroplaned off the road and had to be taken to the hospital by some good samaritan because she hurt her leg. My plan was to let it come close and try to juke it. It's stupid, especially with two kids under 4, but it litteraly snuck up on us. My new plan is to go to my neighbor's basement, thank god.

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                • May 2007

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
                HMP-
                My last assignment was in the dreaded Panhandle of Oklahoma, and since my girl was living in Tulsa I drove through that area many many times. I remember a nasty twister in March of '04 up in Kingfisher.

Check out this pic of me in my cowboy gear:

Even though my profile says California I've spent a great deal of time in Oklahoma. I will be there later this month for a family reunion in Vinita. If I had more time I'd say we should hook-up but I don't think I'll be able to make it that way.

jaguiler - They say it's more dangerous to be out on the roads during a tornado than to be inside a structure. At the same time, there is definitely an eerie attraction to the storm. The sky turns into a surreal swirl of grey/green and you can literally feel the pressure change. This happens well ahead of and long after the actual twister comes through (if at all) so most people don't go right into panic mode. I shouldn't speak for HMP but I'm sure he had a plan B in case the beast headed toward him. However, there are a few lost souls out there whose bravery far exceeds their intelligence. When I was in college (Ok. State) we would try to chase the storms for thrills (pretty stupid, I know).
                You know Kingfisher is right next to El Reno, Mr Wildbill. We get so many tornado warnings that it's easy to feel like they're "crying wolf". But this is the only time out of a few that I really feared for my life. When I was standing on my porch trying to tell the direction of this thing I was struggling to see anything (it hit at midnight), but when lightning struck and lit up the sky I saw the funnel close enough to make me scream a little. My bravery had no play in there was just very little time to react. And you are right about the attraction, if far enough away. It gives you the " end of the world feeling!"

Here's a vid I took after last years tornado hit our city airport. I used to work there stripping planes. It came close enough to catch glimpses of it, but nothin like this recent one that came through town.
                (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txp9nIWX1J8)
                Last edited by hispanicmakingpanic; 05-10-2007, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I'd suggest if you drive away, go a little slower. Getting out of dodge is a good idea, but only if you do it early enough to do it safely. Once you can feel the pressure change -or- gust fronts of the approaching funnel, being in a car is NOT a good idea. Your time to "get in the car" and drive away is past. But if you are aleady IN a car when caught, they say get out and get low somewhere. Personally, I'm having trouble believing I'm getting out of my car and jumping in a ditch....
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaguiler
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Jan 2007

Alan - I guess an overpass would be a better option than a ditch....

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Alan - I guess an overpass would be a better option than a ditch....

There was a great video of that several years ago, people getting under and overpass, and a funnel cloud going right over them. I've also seen footage of that when attending local "storm watch" seminars sponsored by local Television stations and NOAA/NWS Weather Forecast Office Fort Worth, Texas. The have yearly seminars in Texas. I have attended a few and you get some real insights into what to look for IF you are going to be a spotter and register as such.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Mar 2006

Oklahoma. Man, I have some spent some time there as well at good old Fort Sill just outside of Lawton.

All I can say about Ft. Sill is that it is both the hottest and the coldest places I have ever been.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...