X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hispanicmakingpanic
    • May 2007

New technique I'm working on.

Im not familiar with speedbag terminology but I think the first part is DSP followed by a continuous "Pinning" combo. Mr. Speedbag calls it pinning, I've also heard it called trapping or killing the bag. I just started practacing it but feel free to critique.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PrqowRGRAk)
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

For me, it isn't very clear what you are trying to do here. It's been suggested that your bag is high and I would tend to agree, although there really aren't any rules to the speed bag. I think if you want to start working all sides of the bag you'll have to lower it a little...

I think you should slow down and try to find a rythym; you look a little sloppy and it seems like you miss a lot...

I say these things out of respect, so I hope you don't take offense. Just giving an honest opinion...

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
      • May 2007

new technique.

Thank you for your view. It is a little sloppy, but hopefully I can tighten it up with practice. I guess for you it wouldn't be very clear what I'm doing because we appear to have polar opposite styles on the bag. You see, with all due respect, I'm actually throwing real punches here and you probably wouldn't know too much about that either. I'm also trying to incorporate footwork and angles and not just tapping the bag in rhytmn, which I think is very creative, but not very demanding physically. Your timing is infallable on your half minute videos.

Comment

• jaguiler
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2007

hmm... has the old Skunk been replaced... ? jk -

Billy - Hispanic seems to use more of a fighting approach to the bag, where many of us use more of a trick bag approach..... Hispanic, saying he may not understand may be over reaching... but eitherway.... I'll tell you I don't understand the fighting style either as I have not had any instruction... watching you makes me think I should find a boxing class....

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
          • May 2007

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post
          hmm... has the old Skunk been replaced... ? jk -

Billy - Hispanic seems to use more of a fighting approach to the bag, where many of us use more of a trick bag approach..... Hispanic, saying he may not understand may be over reaching... but eitherway.... I'll tell you I don't understand the fighting style either as I have not had any instruction... watching you makes me think I should find a boxing class....
          Thanks for setting it straight Jaguiler, and no I'm not replacing Skunk, I couldn't if I wanted. He seems to be the heir apperrant to you know who.
          I couldn't phrase it correctly, but I meant he was unfamiliar with my sloppy yet challenging routine, and it was blunt and direct, like his view. He really does have sweet timing though.

Comment

• BillyMack
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by hispanicmakingpanic View Post
            I'm actually throwing real punches here and you probably wouldn't know too much about that either.
            I see you took offense to my comments. I was just offering my opinion; you did ask for it after all. I didn't mean to knock your style. The statement quoted above stands to offend more than just me; you are saying that all of us are practicing punches that are not "real".

I do understand and appreciate the difference between the various schools of thought within the speed bag world, and it will certainly benefit all of us to see and hear a larger variety of hitting. I certainly intend to continue watching your videos, and hope you will do the same of mine.

p e a c e

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by hispanicmakingpanic View Post
              Im not familiar with speedbag terminology but I think the first part is DSP followed by a continuous "Pinning" combo. Mr. Speedbag calls it pinning, I've also heard it called trapping or killing the bag. I just started practacing it but feel free to critique.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PrqowRGRAk)
              Actually, your opening is with continous Front Double Punching (FDP), but it looks like you use the same leading fist
              "Left-Right ' ' ' Left-Right"......

"The speed bag has the rhythm of every man within it"

It accepts all styles and methods. The routine and style of this video might not be seen much, but is very well accepted and I believe understood in the boxing community. I wish now I had highlighted it more in The Speed Bag Bible book and videos. The high position of the bag helps this, as well as standing further away from the bag, so the contact or "Trap" is at almost full arm extension. It is easier to catch the bag just off the board, and push it back to "kill it" on the board with full extension. This style of speed bag focuses more on the EYES, targeting the bag position for the punch - and timing the punch to push-trap the bag just off the board, or on the upswing of a rebound. For instance, notice how he times the uppercut to catch the bag in a rebound going up to the front of the board, rather than coming off the back. This takes very good timing and eye-hand coordination. Especially when doing it as fast and repetitively as "Panic" is doing it. Throw in the fact of footwork, bobbing and weaving, and the wild rebound angles of the bag, (notice the helicopter bag circles and irregular angles ), and throwing near full power combinations, - and you have a very difficult workout. And I would say that this is a very excellent demonstration of that style. Not very flashy or impressive to the more "trickster", repetitive punchers (which is a much more ear/audio driven workout). In the gym, this trap - kill style doesn't attract a lot of attention because it isn't rhythmically pleasing or have a catchy beat. But do not be fooled. It is a skillful, difficult workout.

and many people who do the faster, more rhythmic punching routines CAN do this type of workout, - they just don't choose to, for whatever reason. Many boxers will do "normal" triplet rhythm punching, then break into this style, than back to "normal" at will. Try it.

I have no doubt that BillyMack or Skunk could step back away from the bag and quickly learn to do this in a few workouts. They would quickly adjust their punching and timing to be EYE driven than Ear.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                • May 2007

trap style

Thank you for that in-depth and meticulous explenation of this new technique. You have pointed out every aspect of this explosive style to me in a way that would have gone unnoticed to me. I agree that Skunk BillyMack and other skilled members will pick this up very quick if they so chose because of their superior timing.

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                  • May 2007

Bad choice of words

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
                  I see you took offense to my comments. I was just offering my opinion; you did ask for it after all. I didn't mean to knock your style. The statement quoted above stands to offend more than just me; you are saying that all of us are practicing punches that are not "real".

I do understand and appreciate the difference between the various schools of thought within the speed bag world, and it will certainly benefit all of us to see and hear a larger variety of hitting. I certainly intend to continue watching your videos, and hope you will do the same of mine.

p e a c e

I admire your style and Skunks as well. That's why I'm here. What I should have said is that your routines are not based on traditional boxing punches that incorporate follow through. Still the timing you guys display is awe inspiring and highly developed.

Comment

• BillyMack
                    • Sep 2006

All good

I'm a copycat so really I just want to be able to see what you are doing so I can try to mimic it. Once you get it tightened up I'll be nipping on your heels to try it...

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Hey BM, notice in this style that the fists hit much more in traditional Front Straight Punch (front of fist - FSP ) position than the Front Circle Punch (Side of Fist - FCP).

The FCP normally hits and either goes "through the bag" or immediately drops down and circles back. The same for the Reverse Single Punch (RSP) from the side or back. But notice that HispanicMakingPanic ( and coach Tom), Basically hit with standard punching fist positions, ) and extend the arm, pushing the bag into the board. The timing is key, for you want to watch the bag movement and time your swing to clip it just as it is "going to" the board, rather then coming off the board.

It's a pretty lively workout on a high bag. The bag height helps to allow the arm to extend, completing the punch. With the bag at the height that we like, and standing as close as we do, it makes this very difficult. To make the transition between styles, simply step back from the bag to give room for arm extension. Even then, I have never seen it done all that well on a "low" bag.

HMP has great timing on this, and I expect he could transition pretty easily to "our" style once he lowers the bag, gets the arm positions and smaller swing movements.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• SpeedBagSkunk
                        Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

hold ON did someone say skunk

Whats up here i have my name all up pn this forum and i have no video to post for yall. hmmm well i went in the back and made a short clip. I do have to say bill, that the movements all around the bag and gettin the good hit to stick to the to of the platform are more of a boxing type of movement, it focuses not only on speed but movement and timing. If a very good work out to practice but i wouldnt suggest a speed bag to do it with i believe theey have a small sand bag for these exercises but none the less you can do it on a speed bag and it is a great work out. Good work hispanic, by the way hispanic i kind not really made fun of you lol but i copied your first movement as far as the left right left right front double punches, so dont think im not just playin around. Im sure if i did this more often i would get a lot better and as a mater of a fact i think im going to start. would be really cool to be doin tons of combos and them stop the bag with stickin it to the platform then tearin it up with uppercuts and jabs. Have to say good work to you my friend. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svZKJBLhfaI

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                          • May 2007

copycat

Sorry it took awhile to respond, my town was hit by tornadoes, but it's all good. I knew you would get it, but to be honest I was hoping it would take longer. I should have figured. Only things you need to improve are angles slippin dippin and punch extension and you've mastered it. I tried your style on my bag and found my swivel to be a little erratic. I give you proppers for doing that barefisted. I started doing that and wrecked my knuckles on the swivel.

Comment

• SpeedBagSkunk
                            Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

lol

well i did take boxing lessons for about 6months so i did pick up a couple things lol. There are a few things that we all have to work on lol i happen to have a very good learning ability to pick things up very fast. so i made sure to walk in there and give it my best shot and hey hey look at there I did it lol. Good video and im workin on adding that will all the other combos as well so we can give speed baggin a lil hispanic twist hahaha good work man

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Good video Skunk. You're fast and accurate as usual. I really liked the early hooking combo's. Once your timing for the "pinning" of the bag gets a little cleaner, this will be an awesome addition to your routines.

I can see you smokin' one of your four bags, in normal punching, then switch bags and go to pinning/trapping, then change bags and go back to normal punching. Just rotating around the multi bag stand.
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...