• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Punch Drumming on VH1 Classic!

So it all went swimmingly on the taping of Eddie Trunk's "That Metal Show!"
    I received a text from Slash (who was on one of the episodes) that he thought it was great and it should be a part of my drum solo. I got thumbs up from Alice Cooper (it was told to me by a VH1 exec. that his jaw dropped when I went from playing the kit with my hands to finishing off with a fist roll on the bag). I filmed 2 episodes in one day ... they will air 4.7 and 4.14.
    It was a lot of fun but also a ton of pressure .... I started off with a basic
    FSP/ RSP etc etc .... creating a train type of sound that I played a funky-ish beat under with my left hand on the snare, and my feet on the bass drum and hi hat..
    I messed up the first take and went too long as the first one is supposed to be the shortest.... so we took it again .. and I was successful...
    All the people that work on the show were thoroughly impressed as something like this has never been done before... and of course, being TV, they want to "entertain"....
    I had never sat on a kit and tried this either... ( I only did this at Speed BAG I convention with a vertical bag)... I did it real quick in my garage when I got Balazs's massive 275 stand set up but was sooo busy with other stuff I barely put more then 10 minutes under the drum and on the kit...
    so once i got past the nerves I got comfy and now can see how much further this can be taken with a little practice..
    Anyhow... here are a couple pics..
    AS always.... thanks to my good bud and speed bag brother Alan Kahn for the Speed Bag Bible and all the killer punch drumming vids! I had this type of vision in my head when I was only aware of a speed bag being hit from the front with a triplet sound. Alan's expertise and visions made me see mine all the more clearer!
    As a drummer, it was obvious what could be done... but to actually do this about 4 years later is pretty cool!
    And I have to thank Brandon DeMaris and his dad, Balazs owner Brian DeMaris for offering to help. They just happened to contact me at the same time this show opportunity was offered to me ... they supplied the awesomely sturdy stand and got to be seen in a completely different light than a boxing company normally would.
    BAG ON!
    Attached Files
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
    So it all went swimmingly on the taping of Eddie Trunk's "That Metal Show!"
    I received a text from Slash (who was on one of the episodes) that he thought it was great and it should be a part of my drum solo. I got thumbs up from Alice Cooper (it was told to me by a VH1 exec. that his jaw dropped when I went from playing the kit with my hands to finishing off with a fist roll on the bag). I filmed 2 episodes in one day ... they will air 4.7 and 4.14.
    It was a lot of fun but also a ton of pressure .... I started off with a basic
    FSP/ RSP etc etc .... creating a train type of sound that I played a funky-ish beat under with my left hand on the snare, and my feet on the bass drum and hi hat..
    I messed up the first take and went too long as the first one is supposed to be the shortest.... so we took it again .. and I was successful...
    All the people that work on the show were thoroughly impressed as something like this has never been done before... and of course, being TV, they want to "entertain"....
    I had never sat on a kit and tried this either... ( I only did this at Speed BAG I convention with a vertical bag)... I did it real quick in my garage when I got Balazs's massive 275 stand set up but was sooo busy with other stuff I barely put more then 10 minutes under the drum and on the kit...
    so once i got past the nerves I got comfy and now can see how much further this can be taken with a little practice..
    Anyhow... here are a couple pics..
    AS always.... thanks to my good bud and speed bag brother Alan Kahn for the Speed Bag Bible and all the killer punch drumming vids! I had this type of vision in my head when I was only aware of a speed bag being hit from the front with a triplet sound. Alan's expertise and visions made me see mine all the more clearer!
    I appreciate the shout out, BT. I gotta tell ya, I've dreamed of this day since the late 1980's when Punch Drumming came into my life and this whole world opened up. The drummer in me instantly wanted to master it and then tell the world, especially drummers, about the unique ability of the speed bag to actually be a percussion instrument, no less than any other stick or hand drum. I thought it would "go live" through Blue Man Group when they invited me to record with them in 2001, but it proved a bit more difficult for their particular needs. That was probably one of the most disappointing events in my speed bag career but I never gave up on the dream of the drummers taking this seriously. I guess all along I was waiting for you. Thanks for believing AND puting in the time under the board to learn. I can't overstate that. Along the way You and a few others have expanded my punching drumming knowledge also, throwing out bag rhythms and combinations in different ways I never felt. And thanks for the Speed Bag Truck, which will long be part of speed bag and rock and roll legend.

I predict other Rock Drummers will now start giving this a try.... and it will have started with YOU. I see a future concerts where drummers and elite baggers will Solo together, throwing grooves back and forth. Skunk has already broken new speed bag ground with his performances at Grace Church in St. Louis doing Drummer Boy 2011.

I gotta believe there is more to come, and the BAG is Bound for glory ONSTAGE, and it's only a matter of time....

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
    As a drummer, it was obvious what could be done... but to actually do this about 4 years later is pretty cool!
    And I have to thank Brandon DeMaris and his dad, Balazs owner Brian DeMaris for offering to help. They just happened to contact me at the same time this show opportunity was offered to me ... they supplied the awesomely sturdy stand and got to be seen in a completely different light than a boxing company normally would.
    BAG ON!
    Now with Balazs onboard a bit more I'm hoping to have a little Punch Drumming presence at 2012 Percussive Arts Society convention in Austin Texas Oct 31 - Nov 3 I also spoke to Brandon about this not long ago, and he's looking into the possibilities of space and equipment (UBS floor stands).

It would be Great if you had this setup there (hint, hint).

Bag on!
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
    Working...