• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaguiler
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2007

New Speedbag video - #2

hey -

I worked on the feedback from my 1st video and did not focus much on learning new skills - but now I think I am ready to move on.
    I have to get a better camera angle too, and I think I am arc-ing my hand when I do my linking..... I was trying to work on more control as well... although at times I sped it up - but I did it on purpose..for fun.

anything else stand out ?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Looks good. You're way past ready to start incorporating elbows into your routine.

Comment

• BillyMack
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post
      Yeah, your arm hair...my goodness, I thought mine was bad...

J/k...like you said, your fist linking is a little weak, looks like you are hitting the bag when it is in the middle of the arc, you should try to make contact just as it's coming off the board...it will become natural tho

Nice progress, you liking that bag??

Just a suggestion: To practice linking, isolate one arm and just link back and forth (controlled) until you can do it without looking; it helps to pivot your body away form the striking arm to give yourself some space...

Comment

• SupergeZ
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2007

i found elbows one of the easier techniques to pick up, was successfully performing them on my first day of bagging and feel pretty confident using them in a few different combos now.... although quite a few of the techniques youve got down to a tee in that video are far to hard for me to do at present! good job and keep at it, youll soon be hitting like a pr0!

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post
          hey -

I worked on the feedback from my 1st video and did not focus much on learning new skills - but now I think I am ready to move on.
          I have to get a better camera angle too, and I think I am arc-ing my hand when I do my linking..... I was trying to work on more control as well... although at times I sped it up - but I did it on purpose..for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVUXgZbvQNk
          Yea, something stands out. You are a LOT smoother than before. Nice progress on cleaning up your movement. You contacts sound a lot better, your arm position is much better, more stable, less arm swing. You are correct that you arc down a bit on your swing, but we can fix that in the practice tips below.

Here's what you got:

1. nice single fist pass through to ONE Reverse Single Punch (RSP). I also like the change over split fist in that mix, ie..coming back with the other fist after the RSP. good timing there.

2. nice Front Double Punch (FDP) and

3. Front Fist Rolling (F-Roll) for 6-10 punches.

Here are some suggested practice tips that I think will help you at this stage.

1. For Passing the fists through the bag, it would help flatten your swing (reduce the arc) if you try and do 3 or 4 pass throughs ( figure [8] ) with the same fist. Pass the right fist front to back 3 or 4 times, then hold the split fist for several punches, then let the other fist pass through (link) 3 or 4 times. You can usually arc the fist down and under x1 and get away with it, but it's really hard to pass through with that swing for several punches. continuous linking with one fist will help level out your swing as the fist goes through.

also, start doing several Reverse Single Punches (RSP) x3 or 4 times in a row. Do these in the triplet rhythm, such as three Front Circle Punches (FCP) , to three Reverse Single Punches (RSP). like this: FCPx3 ' ' RSPx4 ' ' FCP.. This will get you more comfortable with the reverse position, and make you keep the arm up to continuously hit RSP.

2. For the Front Double Punch (FDP), start letting one fist go through the bag to the Reverse Single Punch (RSP). You can do this with either fist, lead or second, but it is usually easier to do the second fist, since it will hit twice in a row. Do the FDP, second fist through for x1 RSP, and also leave it behind for 3 or 4 (RSP).
          For fun, do several RSP, than return front to a FDP. Let the same fist lead the FDP that passes through, so, if you do x3-RSP with the Left fist, let the left fist lead the FDP, L-R.

..L...........L...........L........L-R
          RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' FDP

This will help your hands learn to stay close, pass through and lead from either side.

From Front Double Punch, Put BOTH fists through the bag to Reverse Double Punch (RDP). Don't overthink this. Do a FDP, and stick your fists straight out through the bag, (you don't have to extend very far...) and then bring them back. FDP ' ' RDP ' ' FDP
          If you have problems with this it is probably because you are unsure of the RDP behind the bag, so work on that a bit also. (* you have to lean back a bit on RDP or R-Roll for you can't really move or lean to the side on these techniques. You are punching straight back at your face, so be aware of your distance to the bag. with a 9x6, you should be alright)

3. From the Front Fist Roll (F-Roll) try to come out of that to either the FDP or also let the last fist of the Roll pass through the bag to the RSP. I noticed you did several Front Fist Roll (F-Roll), then three rebounds, then a Front Circle Punch pass through to Reverse Single Punch. It looked like this.

RLRL-R.......R........R.........L (split fist)
          F-Roll ' ' ' FCP ' ' RSP ' ' FSP

now try to do the pass through directly off the F-Roll by eliminating the three rebounds [ ' ' ' ] and go directly to the RSP from the Roll.

RLRL-R.....R........L (split fist)
          F-Roll ' ' RSP ' ' FSP

also, try to do another F-Roll after the RSP.

RLRL-R.....R........R-LRLR
          F-Roll ' ' RSP ' ' F-Roll

One last step. After the F-Roll, now put both fists through to Reverse Double Punch (RD). ( like in step 2 above...)

RLRL-R....R-L....L-RLRLR
          F-Roll ' ' RDP ' ' F-Roll

(* notice above the two L....L. I like to lead back with the last fist to pass through, and the L is the second fist of this RDP, so it will lead the next front technique. Some people find it easier to just use their dominant hand, left or right. It really doesn't matter as long as you can control the movement)

and you could start playing with the Outward Elbow Strikes. They are pretty easy.

Hope this helps you.

Good job.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaguiler
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2007

the feedback helps ! thanks !!

Yeah, your arm hair...my goodness, I thought mine was bad...
            it was the lighting/camera angle, Billy

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...