• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markus
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2011

Alan,

That response was much more than I could have imagined. Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback and instruction. I am going to take some time over the next few days working on the elements you spoke about.

Speed bagging is one of those sports (or it seems to be so far) where you understand what needs to be done in your head, but getting your hands to follow through is an entirely different ball game. That being said, I have already had a few small victories where I was able to do the technique I was attempting and that is what brings you back for more.

So far the FDP has been the most difficult for me to do. For some reason I just can't make that motion work for me yet. Some of the others I have a basic understanding of how to do it, but the FDP is just a thorn in my side for now. The videos do help though and I appreciate the links to them. The slow motion really makes it easy to see what you "should" be doing.

I'll post some more vids as I work on the different basics punches and combinations.

Thanks again for the help!

Markus

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Markus View Post
      Alan,

That response was much more than I could have imagined. Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback and instruction. I am going to take some time over the next few days working on the elements you spoke about.

Speed bagging is one of those sports (or it seems to be so far) where you understand what needs to be done in your head, but getting your hands to follow through is an entirely different ball game. That being said, I have already had a few small victories where I was able to do the technique I was attempting and that is what brings you back for more.

So far the FDP has been the most difficult for me to do. For some reason I just can't make that motion work for me yet. Some of the others I have a basic understanding of how to do it, but the FDP is just a thorn in my side for now. The videos do help though and I appreciate the links to them. The slow motion really makes it easy to see what you "should" be doing.

I'll post some more vids as I work on the different basics punches and combinations.

Thanks again for the help!

Markus
      The FDP can be done by itself, with various practice exercise I'll lay the out for you but they also in the SBB.

First , get the fist position set and let the lead fist hit the bag x3 to set rhythm and speed. then do the technique, swinging as one motion and moving fists togher, spaced art. The lead fit will hit, the bag will rebound into the second fist, and that second fist will return to hit the bag x3 and do it again but this time the lead will change to the other fist. This lets both fits become the lead and second fist .

next you want to work the FDP into the Basic Rhythm..
      Here you find FCP ' FSP ' FDP ' FCP ' FCP ' FDP ' FCP '
      ............................................L-R.........R-L.........L-R.........R-L
      continuous front Double Punch (FDP) ' ' ' (FDP) ' ' ' (FDP) ' ' ' (FDP)
      Last edited by Speedbag; 11-01-2011, 10:04 PM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Markus
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        The FDP can be done by itself, with various practice exercise I'll lay the out for you but they also in the SBB.

First , get the fist position set and let the lead fist hit the bag x3 to set rhythm and speed. then do the technique, swinging as one motion and moving fists togher, spaced art. The lead fit will hit, the bag will rebound into the second fist, and that second fist will return to hit the bag x3 and do it again but this time the lead will change to the other fist. This lets both fits become the lead and second fist .

next you want to work the FDP into the Basic Rhythm..
        Here you find FCP ' FSP ' FDP ' FCP ' FCP ' FDP ' FCP '
        L-K L-r L-R L-R
        continuous front Doulble Punch (FDP) ' ' ' (FDP) ' ' ' (FDP) ' ' ' (FDP)
        That explanation was very helpful. I practiced a little bit and was able to make decent contact on several strikes of the bag. I'll practice more today and post a video update of my progress tonight.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Markus View Post
          That explanation was very helpful. I practiced a little bit and was able to make decent contact on several strikes of the bag. I'll practice more today and post a video update of my progress tonight.
          Great.

I corrected my earlier post, for my speed bag combo went horribly array. It is now corrected (at least in my browser)
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Hello Markus....Great job! Welcome to the wonderful world of Speed Bagging!
            I remember back in 2008 right before I started bagging, seeing a clip of Speed Bag Skunk explaining the art of Fist Rolling. Basically, he said to make two fists and spin them around each other... haha.. sounds like a fist roll to me. But the main thing was to keep your fists as close together as you can.
            So, that little helpful tidbit of advice, coupled with with Alan said about leaning forward a bit, are, IMHO, what I think will make your fist rolling experience a more enjoyable one and one that you will see quicker results with.
            In your video, I can see that you got the roll going. So I am sure at this point you are well on your way... but watching your vid made me think back to how exciting it was to get these moves together!
            BAG ON!
            Last edited by spinsmashpop; 11-07-2011, 11:22 PM.

Comment

• FightFan
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Nov 2011

Clarity on those vids were nice man.

Comment

• Markus
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                Hello Markus....Great job! Welcome to the wonderful world of Speed Bagging!
                I remember back in 2008 right before I started bagging, seeing a clip of Speed Bag Skunk explaining the art of Fist Rolling. Basically, he said to make two fists and spin them around each other... haha.. sounds like a fist roll to me. But the main thing was to keep your fists as close together as you can.
                So, that little helpful tidbit of advice, coupled with with Alan said about leaning forward a bit, are, IMHO, what I think will make your fist rolling experience a more enjoyable one and one that you will see quicker results with.
                In your video, I can see that you got the roll going. So I am sure at this point you are well on your way... but watching your vid made me think back to how exciting it was to get these moves together!
                BAG ON!
                I missed this post earlier. Thanks for the words of encouragement and very nice vid. I am looking forward to being able to link moves together and get a rhythm going to music like you did in that video. I am definitely making progress, but time constraints are limiting my ability to practice. I'll be posting a video update of my progress shortly.

All the best,
                Markus

Comment

• luke
                  • Aug 2011

Lookin great for a couple of days! I can't really give you much more advice than speedbag gave. After all, most of us study "the speedbag bible" on a nightly basis, if you have some extra scratch kicking around; I suggest you get it from him (send a pm). It will speed your progress ten-fold.... But you said it yourself, speed isn't your primary focus at this point. IMO you've got the right idea, focus on form and technique , and speed will naturally follow with practice! As for your point regarding stress on the shoulders due to surgery recovery.... Your recovery may be fine, my shoulders are destroyed after every workout too . Keep up the good work man!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...