• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luke
    • Aug 2011

Complete Newbie vid...

Hey guys,

First off, I'd like to say that I am completely grateful that a site like this exists. I have had the opportunity to creep this site for the last month ( a few days before I got my bag setup) and am absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the skills that you guys have obtained through training,

Let me start by telling you that I am extremely hesitant about posting a video here, because I dont want to get flamed for improper technique ( I know mine is terrible) but I haven't had the chance to get the speedbag bible yet, and plan on picking up a ton of info from there...... I have only been baggng for about 3 weeks now, and know that I have a LOT to learn.... my rhythm is way off, my elbows drop at times and my form is probably terrible BUT!!! I am having an absolute blast. I literally have a playstation in my training space and just play youtube vids on the screen while im smashing and try to learn little things here and there.

I had an old homemade setup ( you can see it in the background of this video) and after only 3 days I realized I was having too much fun and needed to buy a proper kit. My bag is huge, but that will change as soon as im comfortable with my form......

Cant wait to pick up more tips from all of you dudes....

heres a quick little vid i just filmed an hour ago......

thanks for your time

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • SpeedBagAtaraxis
    • Nov 2010

Hey Luke, great to have you on the site man. First things first..best thing about this site is I can honestly say you won't ever get flamed for any video you post just a lot of great constructive criticism. I have yet to see anyone on here trying to be better than anyone else, just a butt ton of support. Regardless of any of that, I personally think you have made fantastic progress for only 3 weeks. You seem to understand, from me just watching the video, the fundamental skill that you need to stay in control of the bag and not just focus on speed. Best advice I can give is to always focus on technique. Figure out ways to make techniques more efficient and require less movement, which is usually done by just staying as relaxed as possible while hitting or being at ease (Watch Alan Kahns videos to see the epitome of this, flawless form and techniques and looks like he could be reading a book while hes tearing up the bag). Also, experiment!! Even if things seem difficult or even impossible...for me personally 9 out of 10 times its not. Just requires a little bit of thought and a lot of practice. All in all for 3 weeks..AWESOME video. Bag on bruddah
    Last edited by SpeedBagAtaraxis; 08-11-2011, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• luke
      • Aug 2011

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen! Just like anything, with patience and practice I hope to take it to the next level. Indeed the lighting is an issue, I thought the black and white lightened it up a bit... Maybe the garage door open during the day would give far better results! Hahaah.

I definately plan on getting a smaller bag once I am comfortable with controlling this one.. I'm worried that if I switch up this early that maybe I am jumping ahead of my skill level and could be prone to developing more bad habits?

Either way, thanks again for taking the time to reply with advice. I think I'm going to learn plenty around here.

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Hey Luke! Welcome to the forum. You'll find nothing but positive and helpful inspiration here, one of the best forums I'm involved in.

Nice hittin' man...just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine. It's totally addictive. I'm looking forward to more videos from you in the future.

Cheers,
        -Zaza
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by luke View Post
          Hey guys,

First off, I'd like to say that I am completely grateful that a site like this exists. I have had the opportunity to creep this site for the last month ( a few days before I got my bag setup) and am absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the skills that you guys have obtained through training,

Let me start by telling you that I am extremely hesitant about posting a video here, because I dont want to get flamed for improper technique ( I know mine is terrible) but I haven't had the chance to get the speedbag bible yet, and plan on picking up a ton of info from there...... I have only been baggng for about 3 weeks now, and know that I have a LOT to learn.... my rhythm is way off, my elbows drop at times and my form is probably terrible BUT!!! I am having an absolute blast. I literally have a playstation in my training space and just play youtube vids on the screen while im smashing and try to learn little things here and there.

I had an old homemade setup ( you can see it in the background of this video) and after only 3 days I realized I was having too much fun and needed to buy a proper kit. My bag is huge, but that will change as soon as im comfortable with my form......

Cant wait to pick up more tips from all of you dudes....

heres a quick little vid i just filmed an hour ago......

thanks for your time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhQ-pHM44Qg
          Welcome to the forum Luke! Great job on posting your vid. Killer spinning elbows and front fist rolls and I saw an inward elbow very near the end of the vid! Keep up the good work! Or, should I say the good fun, cuz baggin never seems like work to me even though it's a great workout! Watch out for the addicition to the bag :-)

You may pick up some pretty cool baggin tips from our Bag ladies on the forum too, Ha Ha! Sorry ladies (about the bag lady reference) But check out MsDeville's punch drumming vids under the "Hitting to Music" section of the forum, and Mrs, Mitts has mad speed bagging skillz. The Speed Bag II vids from Jersey showcase some of the female baggers. We have other lady baggers that contribute great advice and historical info about speed bagging as well. I've picked a ton of valuable info from the forum baggers and I think you find a ton of support here to improve your baggin experience!
          Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• luke
            • Aug 2011

Oh most definately! And just for a quick reply; by no means was I trying to imply speedbaggin' was a male dominated sport lol I just use "guys" and "dudes" exclusively in my vocabulary... Kind of a bad habit!

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Your hitting looks Damn good! 360s, speed, power(you making that big bag move!) Welcome to the forum and keep those videos comin'!
              sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...