• Show
Clear All
  • Silky10
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2011

1st Video seeking advice - complete beginner

This is my 1st attempt at posting a video

Few points to maybe note:

I've been hitting the speedbag for only a few weeks, have trained in boxing for a while but never really hit the speedbag for any longer than a minute before.

The bag on top of my frame has some weights in it but not enough weight as there is still a lot of bounce from the platform, I tried sand but it felt like it was going to rip my wall down (will try and half the bag of sand)

All constructive replies most welcome ........... this is a start for me and I can ONLY build upon it .............

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Thanks for looking.
  • jumpcannon
    Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Good hitting! Nice and loose! Now u need to throw in front doubles. Only thing i can see that needs attention is your board vibration.....but u already picked that out. keep on hitting!
    evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Silky10 View Post

I've been hitting the speedbag for only a few weeks, have trained in boxing for a while but never really hit the speedbag for any longer than a minute before.

The bag on top of my frame has some weights in it but not enough weight as there is still a lot of bounce from the platform, I tried sand but it felt like it was going to rip my wall down (will try and half the bag of sand)

All constructive replies most welcome ........... this is a start for me and I can ONLY build upon it .............

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Thanks for looking.
      OK Silky. Good video. you're a beginner and you've got a good start. You can keep the bag going at a pretty constant rate so you do have good rhythm and timing. You do have some beginner issues but all are fixable with practice and some cleaning up of your technique.
      From the angle of our upper body it appears that your left foot is a bit back or behind your right, almost in a southpaw stance. That stance might be OK for a boxer training workout but to do more speed and combinations baggin' it is difficult because the distance your hands have to travel is not equal and it messes with your timing. For more combinations and speed I suggest you use a stance with your feet closer to parallel.

The second issue I see, or hear, is a bunch of mis-hits, like your fist glazing or slipping off the bag, which could also be a result of your stance or more probably from your fist movement moving down on the bag belly, kind of slipping off - making a weak contact. I hear it in the swivel. This could also be from your arm motions which I normally call "pawing the bag". Looks like each arm individually reaches out and down on the bag. I see your left shoulder doing a lot of rocking forward in the hitting motion, also indicating your left shoulder is a bit further back than your right, making for a slightly uneven "reaching" swing motion, ending in uneven bag contacts.

I would offer a few suggestions. First, If your feet are uneven then correct that by standing more parallel to the bag with your shoulders a bit more square,which will better set up the fists to travel the same distance to the bag and probably even up your timing and contact. Second, let each single arm continue to hit five or six times in a row, say 5 right Front Circle Punches, then 5 Left Front circle punches. this will let each arm and fist better feel the swinging motion and find the sweet spot on the bag belly. That is really a function of timing, or making contact at the correct point in the bag rebound. that is impossible to do with "eyes" or direct intent. You might also try doing some Front Fist Rolling, which will also help align your stance and fist distances.

Hope this helps. Good luck and expect some improvement in a few workouts.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• toolboxdiver
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2008

I can't add anything to that Great review Alan

Comment

• Silky10
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          OK Silky. Good video. you're a beginner and you've got a good start. You can keep the bag going at a pretty constant rate so you do have good rhythm and timing. You do have some beginner issues but all are fixable with practice and some cleaning up of your technique.
          From the angle of our upper body it appears that your left foot is a bit back or behind your right, almost in a southpaw stance. That stance might be OK for a boxer training workout but to do more speed and combinations baggin' it is difficult because the distance your hands have to travel is not equal and it messes with your timing. For more combinations and speed I suggest you use a stance with your feet closer to parallel.

The second issue I see, or hear, is a bunch of mis-hits, like your fist glazing or slipping off the bag, which could also be a result of your stance or more probably from your fist movement moving down on the bag belly, kind of slipping off - making a weak contact. I hear it in the swivel. This could also be from your arm motions which I normally call "pawing the bag". Looks like each arm individually reaches out and down on the bag. I see your left shoulder doing a lot of rocking forward in the hitting motion, also indicating your left shoulder is a bit further back than your right, making for a slightly uneven "reaching" swing motion, ending in uneven bag contacts.

I would offer a few suggestions. First, If your feet are uneven then correct that by standing more parallel to the bag with your shoulders a bit more square,which will better set up the fists to travel the same distance to the bag and probably even up your timing and contact. Second, let each single arm continue to hit five or six times in a row, say 5 right Front Circle Punches, then 5 Left Front circle punches. this will let each arm and fist better feel the swinging motion and find the sweet spot on the bag belly. That is really a function of timing, or making contact at the correct point in the bag rebound. that is impossible to do with "eyes" or direct intent. You might also try doing some Front Fist Rolling, which will also help align your stance and fist distances.

Hope this helps. Good luck and expect some improvement in a few workouts.
          Fantastic advice Alan, thank you. A big thumbs up to the forum from me.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by toolboxdiver View Post
            I can't add anything to that Great review Alan
            Yeah, you probably could. You're a wise and learned coach with a keen eye for analysis. I saw your Double End Bag and punching advise in another topic. Great help

Fantastic advice Alan, thank you. A big thumbs up to the forum from me.
            hope it helps. We love beginners by the way. We've seen members go from beginners to masters in record time. Of course some have the gift more than others, but all make progress at their own rate. You may be amazed at how fast you can progress.
            Last edited by Speedbag; 04-05-2011, 07:12 AM.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Looks like solid form to me. Check out http://speedbagcentral.com as well, lot's of good info on that web site (Alan's site). If you like what you see, consider grabbing a copy of Speed Bag Bible... that's the gateway to an amazing amount of fun and challenge.

I saw some alternating FCP (Front Circle Punch). I think there was some FSP (Front Straight Punch - where you hit with the front of the fist/knuckles as opposed to the side of the hand) as well, but was hard to tell for sure due to the camera angle and shadows.

I think sand absorbs the vibrations best, with minimal noise. Was it 50lbs worth? That is a lot... definitely try 25lbs.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...