• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SupergeZ
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2007

hitting the bag when injured

hi folks, in january i very foolishly got angry and ended up punched a wall a few times, according to the doctor i bruised the bone on my middle nuckle and joint and it had been healing up untill yesterday where i stupidly punched sumthing again and its all swowlen and flared it back up again. i was looking to purchase my speedbag setup in the next couple of weeks coz ive nearly got the money for it now but was wondering if i could still hit with a damaged nuckle if i wore hand wraps or something, i really wana start but i dont want to do any more damage to my hand that i already have done

thanks

Geraint
  • SupergeZ
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2007

sorryy! just realised i put this thread in pictures and videos instead of the general forum

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

hurting hands

Originally posted by SupergeZ View Post
      ... was wondering if i could still hit with a damaged nuckle if i wore hand wraps or something, i really wana start but i dont want to do any more damage to my hand that i already have done

thanks

Geraint
      a "damaged knuckle" could mean many things, ranging from a slight bruise, to a clear fracture. The worse bruise, (which I would suspect) is a bone bruise. we are particularly suseptible to these in areas where there is very little covering over the bone surface, like the knuckles of the hand. Punching bags or softer surfaces that "give" to the force, usually don't cause bone bruises, but hitting a non-giving surface like a wall could really put your hands at risk. You should let the bruise completely heal. The time required for a bone bruise to heal can really depend.

I'm not saying you DO have a bone bruise, but what I am suggesting is that you refrain from punching anything for a while. Get your speed bag and put it up so when you're ready to begin, it's there. At first, air it up so it is just a tad underinflated and has a little more give to it, (just after all the creases are out and the leather is smooth...), then when you start hitting, use just the weight of your hand with no force and swing easy to push the bag. This light push will still give three or four rebounds to a large bag. The Front Straight Punch (FSP) connects the Front of the fist directly on the knuckle you have injured so I'd suggest sticking with the Front Circle Punch (FCP) for a while, which connects the small knuckle of the little finger.

And when you start punching the speed bag, you might use hand wraps or neopreme gel wraps or padded gloves for a while to add some padding.

I have found my hands do better when I only hit things that rebound....

Good luck and train safely.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaguiler
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2007

Anger Management classes would help your hands too ...

Comment

• BillyMack
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post
          Anger Management classes would help your hands too ...
          Tru dat. Defnitely take it slow and easy. I would recommend some flexibility exercises as well as for the hand. Hands are very lean (little muscle mass and LOTS of little bones) so it does take a while for that kind of thing to heal.

Do you have a heavy bag or perhaps even a bucket of sand you can punch instead of the wall? Nothing like blaring your favorite "angry" music and wailing away safely.

Good luck and take it easy...

and remember what Mr. Miyagi said to Daniel-san: "Lucky you no hurt the hand".

Comment

• SupergeZ
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2007

hehe funny you should say that because im requesting anger management classes when i go to the doctors tomorrow morning, hopefully i havent done any perminant damage this time... i hope...

id wanted a speedbag everysince i saw them in a video and thought that it could help with my anger management, i dont know why but when i get worked up i really feel the urge to hit something which isnt good, and thought if i had a speedbag i could have a good session on that and it would stop me wacking things i shouldnt, aswell as being beneficial to my co-ordination and adding a little variation to my workout.

i did the original injury late january and it was well on its way to being healed, and now uinfortunately i think ive set that back quite abit see what the doctor says tomorrow and hopefully all will be well, i got a cold pack on it straight away for plenty of time as well as anti inflamatorys so hopefully that minimised the damage abit.

thanks for the advice and ill go ahead with the purchase asap

- Geraint

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Even though I've never injured my hand, I know from personal experience that trying to get back into exercising after an injury usually prolongs the injury and makes the recovery time longer.

I run almost daily. Once a year or so I'll get a bad cramp in my left calf while running and it hurts like hell and I can hardly walk without pain in that leg for a week or more. Unfortunately, the older I get, the more frequently it happens. In my 20's, this used to only happen once every few years. Now, in my mid-40's, it's now happening at least once a year or less. (BTW, for those offering advice, I know that it's caused by one of three things; dehydration, lack of proper stretching, or lack of blood flow. I'm pretty sure it's not blood flow, and since my last injury in December, I've made an effort to stretch more/better. Now I've just got to cut out my Diet Coke habit which I'm pretty sure is the culprit.)

In the past I've thought that I would try to run through it thinking that running through the pain or that the exercise would help loosen it up sooner but it never works. The only thing that works and gives me the quickest recovery time is to take lots of Tylenol, stretch it several times a day and wait about two weeks. If I tried to run too soon, I usually re-injured it and I would be set back even further.

My point is to just wait it out. If you make the injury worse and lay yourself up for a couple more weeks, you'll be even madder at yourself. I speak from experience here.
              Last edited by Chris M; 04-02-2007, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Kyle
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2006

i also have some anger problems from time to time (wut fighter dosnt?) and speed bag dosent really help it nearly as much as a heavy bag does for me but hitting the speed bag and progressing will definatly lift your spirits.

ps ive had a few spats with a couple walls myself and have broken my hand and bruised the bone but that wall was getting real lippy and he got wat was coming to him.
                ________
                COLORADO MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
                Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:19 AM.

Comment

• jaguiler
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2007

Chris -

is it possible that you are pulling your heel up, which causes the cramping... maybe working on Posetech running or chi running ? I know that pulling up your heel will cramp the calf.

Comment

• Chris M
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post
                    Chris -

is it possible that you are pulling your heel up, which causes the cramping... maybe working on Posetech running or chi running ? I know that pulling up your heel will cramp the calf.

You may have a point there, it is entirely possible that I am doing that. My big toe was amputated and sewn back on when I was 9 years old. The only long-term ill effect is that I cannot bend my toe upwards at all and I have to slightly roll my foot to the side in order to walk or run. That calf is the one that I'm having problems with.

I'm not familiar with Posetch or chi running, but I'll bet you've hit the nail on the head.

Unfortunately, there's really not much I can do because of the permanent nature of the joints in my big toe being fused.

It hasn't really bothered me or slowed me down. Back in my Army Days, I could easily max out the running portion of the PT test and I never had any problems on long marches, deployments, etc. As a matter of fact, the Army Docs never noticed any problems and let me enlist and later go to OCS. They put you through some pretty comprehensive tests just to get in.

I really think you're onto something though.

My father-in-law is a retired physical therapist and he's given me some excellent advice when I've had muscular injuries of any type. I'll have to run this by him and see what he thinks.

Thanks again!
                    Last edited by Chris M; 04-02-2007, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• SupergeZ
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Mar 2007

hey big nesticles,

when you bruised the bone how long did it take to heal? and could i ask, did it ever return to the original shape, coz mine had been healing about 2 months and had gone right down, but was still larger and rounder looking than the corresponding nuckle on my other hand?

thanks guys

- Geraint

Comment

• Kyle
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Nov 2006

mines still a little disfigured but doesnt hurt any more and with regards to healing i continued doing more training and other things involving my knuckle so it took about 6 months id guesse to fully heal.
                        ________
                        Find headshop
                        Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:19 AM.

Comment

• jaguiler
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Jan 2007

Chris M - check out Posetech.com or ChiRunning.com - they are similar....

it sounds like you are trying (unconciously) to relieve the pressure off the big toe, like when you walk and roll your foot, but you are doing it when running, so you are pulling you leg up using the calf muscle.
                          That is a common problem with the two running styles above... go to the posetech site - they have forums as well, and you can read about the calf pain that many have.... and a possible solution.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...