X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

MsD's Attempt at Shadow Punches

So, I decided to post a video from last night's workout. I spent about an hour working on shadow punches.

I remember watching Dee Pooler's various videos during my first few months in to this addiction. His videos are great because he demonstrates the punches in "slow-mo" on a big bag. The man is a master of controlling the bag to show us "how it's done." I try to do his 7-punch combo, but I still haven't quite got it yet.

So, here's a portion of my practice session. The quality is not that great, as I was using my iphone camera propped it up against the wall. And, in my opinion, presentation is part of the whole punching thing. (I added music to the video afterwards, just to try to enhance the viewing of it a little.)

I'm hoping for some feedback and pointers from those who have mastered this punch. Thanks!

A sample of Dee Pooler's punching demo:

BIG BAGS RULE!
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • Inkspill
    • Dec 2010

When I tried out the shadow punch I started with my left elbow in position to hit with an outward elbow, and my right fist underneath for a straight punch. I like starting with the right fist palm up, elbow in front of the ribs, then extend the fist to punch, and turn the fist palm down as I punch, then execute the left outward elbow after 1 rebound as my right fist pulls back to chambered position in front of my ribs. I also tried the elbow then punch. Then practice the reverse.

I've also found I like to just slightly tap the bag when teaching myself something new, just enough to move the bag without it actually rebounding off the board. I also try just touching the bag, to teach myself the pattern in an ideal phase without having to deal with variations in angle and movement, I can focus strictly on the hits in an isolated environment. I can be certain to make my movement correct, working slowly at my own pace before speeding up and adding additional things

It looks like you might be hammering down on the bag, rather than executing a straight punch. Hope this helps I kinda rambled on there. : )
    Last edited by Inkspill; 03-16-2011, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

I have not put alot of effort into the shadow punch yet. Although someone pointed out that I did it in one of my videos. It looks like you're getting the gist of it with a bit of reverse f-rolling thrown in! At this rate you'll have it mastered. I'll let the more experienced baggers give advice on the technique.
      BAG ON!!
      sigpic

Comment

• Heppsan
        • Jan 2011

I think you made a great job Dee!!
        Nice vid!! Extra thumbs up for the lighting set up!

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Feb 2010

I think you've made a very good effort too Dee, and I'm also not an expert at this. Inkspill made some good points - I would agree that a good plan is to try and practice the shadow punch slowly and without too much force, so that you can do it over and over.

Like you say Dee Pooler is fantastic at this, he's got ultimate control at slow speeds. I had a clip in mind but trouble is, he's done so many videos I can't seem to find it now.

Another thing to try and do is stay focussed on what you're working on without being tempted to mix in your 'comfortable' punches all the time. I'm sure you do this; I know - it doesn't make for great video viewing but it's all part of patient progress when you're not on camera under the board.

Comment

• deano
            Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

good video Dee, great to see you trying the shadow punches they will get easier in time and one small tip is you might like to do more with the fist or elbow on the arm that isnt doing the shadow punch and this will allow you more time to get your shadow punch fist back into a position to perhaps tackle another combo on the other side. If that makes any sense, take it easy. deano
            Last edited by deano; 03-25-2011, 04:48 AM.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Thanks for the input!

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Now that I can actually hit outward elbow punches, the shadow punches are improving.

Yes, I needed to slow down and focus more. When I first start learning a new punch, I tend to "rush" it. I just gotta slow it down.

Thanks for the suggestion, deano. I'm determined to learn deano-style side punches, too. Working on these shadow punches and side punches take take patience. It's going to take a ton of practice. But, I don't mind.
              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• SpeedBagScissorhands
                Spin Master

• Aug 2008

awesome work miss D!!! X

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by SpeedBagScissorhands View Post
                  awesome work miss D!!! X
                  Hey Adam! Thanks! Nice to hear from you. I was just thinking about you yesterday while I was working out and, I got cocky and thought I could try one of your spinning punches. Yeah, right! HA! I wasn't even CLOSE to hitting the bag!

Comment

• SpeedBagScissorhands
                    Spin Master

• Aug 2008

lol no worries i crashed into my tree a few hundred times when i started. - its all fun until someone gets hurt keep up the good work Miss D!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...