X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inkspill
    • Dec 2010

Speed Bag Snake

I put a bunch of info below the video if anyone cares about the details. had some music playing but wasn't playing to it, didn't realize it was that loud sorry about that.

I learned about the shadow punch and thought, why not make a "snake in the eagle's shadow" striking sequence/pattern? I'm a nerdy guy that loves Jackie Chan, plus I figure why not have fun with the speed bag and do the cheesy stuff I enjoy. I played with it for awhile and it's feeling ok, just needs to be sharpened, honed. not reinventing the wheel or anything but I had fun.

So the fist under the elbow is the snake fist, technically a palm up snake fist in the combo I was doing, this fist is also known as a half fist in American Kenpo. Anyway, the "eagle" is the outward horizontal claw, which comes after the elbow.

I hit only with the heel palm of the claw, because I've ripped my everlast te:m bag before with the tearing action of the fingers, so nitpickers have an answer for why no ripping action : P

I wrote it down in my notebook, RSSF (right shadow snake fist) & LSSF for the left side,

R O-SES (right outward single elbow strike) and L O-SES for the left

and LohC (left outward horizontal claw) & RohC for the right

so, LSSF ' R O-SES ' RohC ''' RSSF ' L O-SES ' LohC '''

Anyway. Did that on both sides/alternating.

Then I executed some rolling outward horizontal heel palms, then some snake fists alternating, palm up and palm down, and then changed it up on both sides mixing the various strikes.

Then something I'll call sidewinders, for fun, plus it's another snake name!
    This is a punch combination going on the 3 o clock to 9 o clock line.

First an inward horizontal hook passing through, then, a flapping outward back knuckle passing through the opposite direction.

the flapping elbow term comes from Kenpo, there are times when the elbow flaps down, or up, usually the elbow is referred to as a wing in Kenpo. so, the elbow flaps down with a vertical back knuckle. These strikes get a little shortened with the bag due to timing and space. Anyway, then I double through in the other side to switch hands, then sidewinders with double pass through back and forth.

wrote it in my notebook as pdH (palm down hook) and FObk (flapping outward back knuckle)

one armed: LpdH '' LFObk '' LpdH '' LFObk

then for the pass through, RFObk ' LpdH '' LFObk ' RpdH '' RFObk ' LpdH etc.

Anyway, fun and good ol' martial art cheesy.
  • jumpcannon
    Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Sssssssssnake!
    evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Pretty intense! That's breaking it down to the specifics of your art. Could be You're breaking new ground for Kenpo Training. The speed bag is great for quick inside moves, blocks and strikes in short and rapid succession. I like the way your working out various combinations and writing them down.

Trailblazing takes time and dedication. Stay at it. It takes years of dedication for a new kid white belt to grow to black. Many start, few finish. You can do it!
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Aug 2010

A very cool way to bag! I will definetly look at this again when I get a chance. Looks like more variation to make speed bagging even more interesting! Thanks for posting!
        Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Inkspill
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
          Sssssssssnake!
          . Lol indeed!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          Pretty intense! That's breaking it down to the specifics of your art. Could be You're breaking new ground for Kenpo Training. The speed bag is great for quick inside moves, blocks and strikes in short and rapid succession. I like the way your working out various combinations and writing them down.

Trailblazing takes time and dedication. Stay at it. It takes years of dedication for a new kid white belt to grow to black. Many start, few finish. You can do it!
          Thanks Alan, I appreciate it. Testing for blue belt Saturday I'm pumped. I am discovering many of the same principles exist, and it's an interesting adventure exploring the speed bag with Kenpo

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
          A very cool way to bag! I will definetly look at this again when I get a chance. Looks like more variation to make speed bagging even more interesting! Thanks for posting!
          Thanks novaspeedbagger! Hope you enjoy

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...