• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Working some new techniques

I spent most of this weekend laid up with flu-like crap.(every year about this time) Of course it starts subsiding on Sunday so I took a few minutes to work on some stuff I have been trying to learn. I also got a better WiFi connection so I was able to upload this faster since my phone directly uploads to YouTube:

It runs a bit long. Sorry about that. Time flies when you're having fun
    sigpic
  • toolboxdiver
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2008

I know how ya feel , i had the crud kept me from doing any baggin for almost 2 weeks

Comment

• hammer6384
      • Dec 2010

Ten- four ! !

10-4 on those hits and combos , those sound good and looks Really Cool.Great Baggin Bro!
      SpeedBag Hammer

Comment

• Inkspill
        • Dec 2010

I like the outward elbow inward elbow combination that was around 5 or 6ish, just looks smooth and powerful. I also like how you slow things down to get the strike correct on the elbows, and when one hand wasn't doing it's thing right, you were patient and trained it slowly. I guess if you weren't patient and driven you wouldn't be where you're at now lol!

On the elbow strikes, you're hitting say, left outward elbow, left hammer fist, then the right fist hits then right inward elbow? It was hard for me to see if the hand with the inward elbow was hitting too. I thought I heard 4 hits but wasn't sure.

Comment

• ebozyn
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2010

Nice sound from that swivel. I like the rhythm of your hits. good hands too. And it's nice to see someone hitting a bag that isn't the size of a 15 watt light bulb.

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by toolboxdiver View Post
            I know how ya feel , i had the crud kept me from doing any baggin for almost 2 weeks
            It really sucks when that happens. Impedes progress. You have to start all over.

Originally posted by hammer6384 View Post
            10-4 on those hits and combos , those sound good and looks Really Cool.Great Baggin Bro!
            Roger that!! Thank you! I can't wait til I can do it without miss hits and speed it up a bit, adding some elbows in the mix. Eventullay all will fall into place!

Originally posted by Inkspill View Post
            I like the outward elbow inward elbow combination that was around 5 or 6ish, just looks smooth and powerful. I also like how you slow things down to get the strike correct on the elbows, and when one hand wasn't doing it's thing right, you were patient and trained it slowly. I guess if you weren't patient and driven you wouldn't be where you're at now lol!

On the elbow strikes, you're hitting say, left outward elbow, left hammer fist, then the right fist hits then right inward elbow? It was hard for me to see if the hand with the inward elbow was hitting too. I thought I heard 4 hits but wasn't sure.
            You're right about the elbows. I'm trying the Four Way Elbow Hit: O-DES to I-DES. I can do it slowly going left to right,(l O-DES TO r I-DES) right to left needs a bit more work but that's why we slow it down and take our time. I'm also trying out the Downward triple elbow strike. I copied some advice Alan had given to Novabagger:
            (S-TES ' ' D-TES ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' '...

S-TES ' ' O-TES ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SSP ' '....

S-TES ' ' S-TES ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SSP ' '

S-TES ' ' D-TES ' ' R-SDP ' ' SDP ' ' SSP (or *FSP) ' ' (* if you us the FSP, you will still need two rebounds inbetween the next technique, so you can either do a S-TES or pass it under to begin with a Three punch R-Roll behind the bag:

S-TES ' ' D-TES ' ' R-SDP ' ' SDP ' ' FSP ' ' R-Roll ' ' S-TES ' ' SDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP.,
            ) I started working on this a bit too. But the biggest thing is trying Alan's Three Hit Monty:

(You can also use a bit more advanced sequence, which I call the "3 punch monty"

FDP ' SSP ' ' SDP ' RSP ' ' F-Rollx3 ' ' F-Rollx3 ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' ')
            which is a variation of this:F-Rollx3 ' ' R-Rollx3 ' ' F-Rollx3 ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' ' ( now You need the hands behind the bag to start the 3-punch rolls from the R-Roll)
            .... The single fist pass-throughs will automatically change your hands to the front or back to repeat the sequence
            and this-TES ' ' R-Rollx3 ' ' F-Rollx3 ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' '
            Not easy stuff I tells ya! Earlier that day I was watching the Freddy Roach Title boxing DVD. He was showing the basics on Heavy Bag/DE Bag w/ Justin Fortune and Showed some Speed bag execises. I was trying to work my left hook in and just move around the bag a bit.

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
            Nice sound from that swivel. I like the rhythm of your hits. good hands too. And it's nice to see someone hitting a bag that isn't the size of a 15 watt light bulb.
            Thanks! We love those itty bitty bags around here don't we? I go back and forth with swivels. Last week I was using my U-bolt and switched back to the balhook. I can't wait to order my Powermill swivel so I can see for myself the awesome sound and control everybody has been raving about! I had to move back up to my 8x5 so I could workout some of these techniques I'm trying. But my "light bulb" beckons lol!
            Thanks for checkin me out guys! Gotta keep baggin' and get ready for Jersey!!
            Last edited by metaldad; 02-28-2011, 02:25 PM. Reason: Highlighting text
            sigpic

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Feb 2010

Always enjoy your videos metaldad. You've got an awesome rhythm going on there. I like the variety of your workout and the fact that you post vids that not many of us do - a genuine 'real take' session, trying out random stuff and working things over and over. Really good.

Comment

• Inkspill
                • Dec 2010

I love Freddy Roach! I've only seen one vid on youtube of him on the speedbag, he was teaching a hook to this young lady, teaching her to hit with a thrust action, basically pinning the bag, I dig it, bet you could pop bladders with that pretty easily.

Those are some intense combos. My brain is trying to process that haha. I will have to read the bible it's been opened too few times. Will have to bust it more after my rank test saturday

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Aug 2010

Ya lit up that everlast Md!

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                  It really sucks when that happens. Impedes progress. You have to start all over.

Roger that!! Thank you! I can't wait til I can do it without miss hits and speed it up a bit, adding some elbows in the mix. Eventullay all will fall into place!

You're right about the elbows. I'm trying the Four Way Elbow Hit: O-DES to I-DES. I can do it slowly going left to right,(l O-DES TO r I-DES) right to left needs a bit more work but that's why we slow it down and take our time. I'm also trying out the Downward triple elbow strike. I copied some advice Alan had given to Novabagger:
                  (S-TES ' ' D-TES ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' '...

S-TES ' ' O-TES ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SSP ' '....

S-TES ' ' S-TES ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SSP ' '

S-TES ' ' D-TES ' ' R-SDP ' ' SDP ' ' SSP (or *FSP) ' ' (* if you us the FSP, you will still need two rebounds inbetween the next technique, so you can either do a S-TES or pass it under to begin with a Three punch R-Roll behind the bag:

S-TES ' ' D-TES ' ' R-SDP ' ' SDP ' ' FSP ' ' R-Roll ' ' S-TES ' ' SDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP.,
                  ) I started working on this a bit too. But the biggest thing is trying Alan's Three Hit Monty:

(You can also use a bit more advanced sequence, which I call the "3 punch monty"

FDP ' SSP ' ' SDP ' RSP ' ' F-Rollx3 ' ' F-Rollx3 ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' ')
                  which is a variation of this:F-Rollx3 ' ' R-Rollx3 ' ' F-Rollx3 ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' ' ( now You need the hands behind the bag to start the 3-punch rolls from the R-Roll)
                  .... The single fist pass-throughs will automatically change your hands to the front or back to repeat the sequence
                  and this-TES ' ' R-Rollx3 ' ' F-Rollx3 ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' '
                  Not easy stuff I tells ya! Earlier that day I was watching the Freddy Roach Title boxing DVD. He was showing the basics on Heavy Bag/DE Bag w/ Justin Fortune and Showed some Speed bag execises. I was trying to work my left hook in and just move around the bag a bit.

Thanks! We love those itty bitty bags around here don't we? I go back and forth with swivels. Last week I was using my U-bolt and switched back to the balhook. I can't wait to order my Powermill swivel so I can see for myself the awesome sound and control everybody has been raving about! I had to move back up to my 8x5 so I could workout some of these techniques I'm trying. But my "light bulb" beckons lol!
                  Thanks for checkin me out guys! Gotta keep baggin' and get ready for Jersey!!
                  I almost missed this post MD! Great steady Rhythym on that opening combo and awesome instruction in the text! I'll go back and study this. Looks like your hands are getting quicker with each work out and thanks for putting the four 4-elbow combo segment in. I haven't worked on that too much but will definitely throw that into my workouts for variation. That kinda practice seems to make the easier combos become second nature when I go back to them.

Keep on Postin! Hope your feeling better MD! Oh just thought I'd throw in the light bulb icon in the title for laughs!

Keep Baggin it up! Awesome job!
                  Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

You are a total natural! Killer technique, everything. Lot of new stuff brother, lookin' good. Side punches, phantoms, downward and 4 way elbows, SHAZZAM! You look like a man on a mission. I better start practicing. Very kool!
                    T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• deano
                      Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

You tryed a bit of everything in that session MD , good to see the uncut take,
                      your on the improve all the time,keep the vids rolling.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...