• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

Practicing a Combo - TES TES SDP FDP RSP

Thought I'd share a little speed bag practice on a combo I've been working on.

Last edited by novaspeedbagger; 02-10-2011, 11:11 PM. Reason: added on title
    Novaspeedbagger
  • Brother Cavefish
    • Jan 2011

it has a nice beat
    Choose You this day , Whom You shall Serve

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

I agree. It has a very nice rhythm to it... music to my ears.
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• toolboxdiver
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2008

looking good Nova, great video thananks for posting

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Aug 2010

Using trial and error for punching out a new combo and it morphed into this video

Originally posted by Brother Cavefish View Post
          it has a nice beat
          Thanks! I feel like I'm playing rudiments. It's a cool work out! I couldn't get it to sound good for a while. So it took a whole lot of punching and that's a good thing, fitness wise!

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
          I agree. It has a very nice rhythm to it... music to my ears.
          I just started messing around with it...it took me awhile before the left hand would cooperate in a mirror-like manor. But I'm starting to gain much more control with this combination now. I'm glad you like the sound of it!

Originally posted by toolboxdiver View Post
          looking good Nova, great video thananks for posting
          Thanks for taking the time to view it and comment TBD. BTW is it TBD because you take on all types of projects like the speed bag truck creation? My next hobby is going to be learning to weld and then I'm gonna construct a Speed bag platform to be mounted on a Chin-up bar wall mount. You know, the type you see in schools. I figure it's time to learn something new! I'm glad you didn't let the neighbor's keep you from finding a way to keep it baggin!
          Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Yeah, great beat. You can tell he's a drummer, it's almost machine like. I can't keep a steady beat, it takes a LOT of work for me to do that, and I can't do it on anything complex. Kerry would you say that is sort of a natural talent or is it from years of drumming and training?

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
              Thought I'd share a little speed bag practice on a combo I've been working on.

I think I posted this under the other video and should be here:

this is a very nice rhythmic combo: written like -

S-TES ' ' S-TES ' ' SDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' ....repeat. Notice when you do it as written it rotates the RSP from hand to hand, which happens naturally in the combo. The secret to that is which fist you pass through in the FDP, the lead or second. You can use either one and that will determine the led of the next STES.

Nova, this is a perfect 11 beat combo for what I call an "echo pattern", or reproducing the very same sound (beat, rhythm) with different techniques. You can do this by looking at the beat sound (single, double, triple..) of the NEXT technique and thinking what other technique you can do that makes that same beat. For instance, you can easily change the second STES to either a Downward Triple or an Outward Triple ES and see what happens. Here are a few variations... Hang on.

S-TES ' ' D-TES ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' '...

S-TES ' ' O-TES ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SSP ' '....

S-TES ' ' S-TES ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SSP ' '

S-TES ' ' D-TES ' ' R-SDP ' ' SDP ' ' SSP (or *FSP) ' ' (* if you us the FSP, you will still need two rebounds inbetween the next technique, so you can either do a S-TES or pass it under to begin with a Three punch R-Roll behind the bag:

S-TES ' ' D-TES ' ' R-SDP ' ' SDP ' ' FSP ' ' R-Roll ' ' S-TES ' ' SDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP.

It doesn't matter which technique in all of this you change, as long as the beat remains the same. Change just one technique and you change the look of the combo. people watching are always fascinated by the bag beat AND the look of what you're doing, so they are normally amazed at the sight variation but repetitive sound. Now we don't necessary do this to wow the crowd, for the secret of doing echo combinations is BAG and BEAT control. Remember, Punching drumming is about the sounds of the techniques, and when you're into a song you might not know where your hands will be when you feel a certain beat you want to use.

For more on echo rhythms look in the SBB page 155. In fact, if you look at page 159 echo pattern #2-A you will see this exact combo except I used one S-TES instead of two for an 8 punch combo. Then I show 5 more ways to keep that same beat or sound with different techniques. Your combo's and movements will be all different, but the sound will remain the same. There are several more in the book and you can make up many more 4-11 or 12 punch combo's on your own.

Echo combo's will help you learn to make an single, double or triple beat sound from anywhere around the bag. In time it won't matter where your hands are, you will be able to make any single, double or triple beat rhythm. Now THAT'S bag control. Some people get lost on bag speed as a measure of skill and control, but mastering the sound you want at any speed, from any position around the bag, is also very important - if you want to be a Punch Drummer

Hope this helps you, Nova. You are REALLY improving with each video.
              Last edited by Speedbag; 02-13-2011, 05:57 PM.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Brother Cavefish
                • Jan 2011

hey bro,s i am new to this " speed bible lingo" , synonyms/abbreviatians i guess, sorry for the ignorance on this, is there a list , thanks
                Last edited by Brother Cavefish; 02-13-2011, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• Biff
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hey, BC, welcome to the forum. The information about "speed bible lingo" can be found in Alan's Speed Bag Bible (among many other things). He has created a great shorthand method of naming the combos, for example, FCP stands for Front Circle Punch; O-TES is Outward Triple Elbow Strike, etc.

Check out this thread to get a dicount on the Bible and DVDs.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

hey bro,s i am new to this " speed bible lingo" , synonyms/abbreviatians i guess, sorry for the ignorance on this, is there a list , thanks
                    Brother, long ago I decided that I needed a more efficient system to discuss or teach speed bag, so I tried to reduce all the movements to their smallest basic movements. To the smallest individual movements of the fists and elbows (from one fist - all the way to four parts "two fists and two elbows") I gave them names, I called them "Individual Techniques", such as the Front Double Punch, or Outward-Triple Elbow Strike. I also created a "technique abbreviation" so I could quickly write "combinations", or the joining of Techniques together. The I added other symbols indicating the number of rebounds or fists passing through. In the end it is a lot like reading sheet music. This allows anyone that can read the speed bag "sheet music" to reproduce the exact techniques and combinations without ever having to see me or have me explain it to them. I believed this system would allow thousands more to learn than doing it the old fashion way: one to one, under a board, probably in a boxing gym.

There is no easy way to understand the techniques, abbreviations symbols or combinations. Just putting up a list of names and abbreviations would leave people confused, asking "what does that mean...", particularly if they don't have the bag skill to control the movement anyway and have never hit from all around the bag. The only way to really learn and understand it is to either read it in the book or see it on video (but the video does not explain the written abbreviations. that is only in the book for obvious reasons.)

Here is a simple link to an explanation and I can tell you a full list of the techniques and abbreviations is found on page 216 of the recent edition.

When someone understands this, which many do, we can easily write back and forth, discussing exact fist or technique variations. It is important because their are so many variations that are possible after each technique. That is why I can make such a post to Novaspeedbagger who understands the system well enough to go to his bag and follow the written combination ( or sit and do it as he reads).

hope this helps.
                    Last edited by Speedbag; 02-13-2011, 06:33 PM.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Brother Cavefish
                      • Jan 2011

thanks guys

Comment

• hammer6384
                        • Dec 2010

Cool combo

Thats a smooth combo!
                        SpeedBag Hammer

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Aug 2010

el na-tur-al`? I don't think so

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          Yeah, great beat. You can tell he's a drummer, it's almost machine like. I can't keep a steady beat, it takes a LOT of work for me to do that, and I can't do it on anything complex. Kerry would you say that is sort of a natural talent or is it from years of drumming and training?
                          Thanks Tim! I only did a few years of drumming, mostly snare drum and a little on a drum set, but was not at all a natural or a great drummer. I did play in my High school drumline for 2 years and the best drummers played snare. I played rudimental base (rudy for short). So I guess that helped me. I will say, that drumline was real sharp and we march in mucho Mardi-Gras Parades! But the speed bag is a whole different world when it comes to keeping the beat of a song. There are a lot more variables involved in hitting the speed bag than one drum with sticks or mallets. But, throw in all those drums that tichy plays at one time.......how the !@#$% do they do that? lol!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                          I think I posted this under the other video and should be here:

this is a very nice rhythmic combo: written like -

S-TES ' ' S-TES ' ' SDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' ....repeat. Notice when you do it as written it rotates the RSP from hand to hand, which happens naturally in the combo. The secret to that is which fist you pass through in the FDP, the lead or second. You can use either one and that will determine the led of the next STES.

Nova, this is a perfect 11 beat combo for what I call an "echo pattern", or reproducing the very same sound (beat, rhythm) with different techniques. You can do this by looking at the beat sound (single, double, triple..) of the NEXT technique and thinking what other technique you can do that makes that same beat. For instance, you can easily change the second STES to either a Downward Triple or an Outward Triple ES and see what happens. Here are a few variations... Hang on.

S-TES ' ' D-TES ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' '...

S-TES ' ' O-TES ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SSP ' '....

S-TES ' ' S-TES ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SSP ' '

S-TES ' ' D-TES ' ' R-SDP ' ' SDP ' ' SSP (or *FSP) ' ' (* if you us the FSP, you will still need two rebounds inbetween the next technique, so you can either do a S-TES or pass it under to begin with a Three punch R-Roll behind the bag:

S-TES ' ' D-TES ' ' R-SDP ' ' SDP ' ' FSP ' ' R-Roll ' ' S-TES ' ' SDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP.

It doesn't matter which technique in all of this you change, as long as the beat remains the same. Change just one technique and you change the look of the combo. people watching are always fascinated by the bag beat AND the look of what you're doing, so they are normally amazed at the sight variation but repetitive sound. Now we don't necessary do this to wow the crowd, for the secret of doing echo combinations is BAG and BEAT control. Remember, Punching drumming is about the sounds of the techniques, and when you're into a song you might not know where your hands will be when you feel a certain beat you want to use.

For more on echo rhythms look in the SBB page 155. In fact, if you look at page 159 echo pattern #2-A you will see this exact combo except I used one S-TES instead of two for an 8 punch combo. Then I show 5 more ways to keep that same beat or sound with different techniques. Your combo's and movements will be all different, but the sound will remain the same. There are several more in the book and you can make up many more 4-11 or 12 punch combo's on your own.

Echo combo's will help you learn to make an single, double or triple beat sound from anywhere around the bag. In time it won't matter where your hands are, you will be able to make any single, double or triple beat rhythm. Now THAT'S bag control. Some people get lost on bag speed as a measure of skill and control, but mastering the sound you want at any speed, from any position around the bag, is also very important - if you want to be a Punch Drummer

Hope this helps you, Nova. You are REALLY improving with each video.
                          Thanks for all the advice again Alan! Off to page 155 to learn more on echo rhythms and different combo's to keep the same beat. It's funny though, because I never really set out on becoming a punch drummer. But this is where the speed bag journey has taken me. I'm just enjoying it.

I'm no expert either Cavefish. I just got the speedbag bible back in August or September 2010 and probably should refer to it more as Alan suggested above. If you want to really improve your bagging skills get it and the DVD.
                          Keep on Baggin! and Welcome to the forum!

Originally posted by hammer6384 View Post
                          Thats a smooth combo!
                          Thanks hammer! I'll be looking for your next video post!

Keep Baggin!
                          Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
                            ...... It's funny though, because I never really set out on becoming a punch drummer. But this is where the speed bag journey has taken me. I'm just enjoying it.
                            HA! Neither did the rest of us probably, but when that door opened, we took it. For me it made baggin' a whole lot more fun.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Brother Cavefish
                              • Jan 2011

hey man I am 49 and just getting back into this stuff, my kids are boxing so i figured i needed to get back into shape-- i was doing , what i call double fist rollovers forward and back--- and i was muscling up, too tense and the next morning my old shoulder injury started coming back------ wrists sore , body aches , nothing like getting old, LOL I forgot how much fun this was, my kids diggin it too- keeps them from to much TV------ glad to be a part of this group guys---- i wish i knew about this place earlier

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...