• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

Practicing a Combo - TES TES

Thought I'd share a little speed bag practice on a combo I've been working on.

Last edited by novaspeedbagger; 02-11-2011, 02:26 PM. Reason: embedded wrong video
    Novaspeedbagger
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
    Thought I'd share a little speed bag practice on a combo I've been working on.

Yes, old buddy BillyMack. An amazingly talented bagger of days gone by....

Nice movement of fists around the bag, BUT - where is the "ES" = Elbow Strike?
    (TES = Triple Elbow Strike)

The combo He is doing looks like:

FDP ' SSP ' ' RDP ' SSP ' '.....repeat.

You can look at this combo two ways: A Double Punch followed by a single punch from another side - or a Single Punch followed by a Double Punch from another side.

NOW you can add a bit of variety. After a SSP, have the next next double punch be a SDP.

FDP ' SSP ' ' SDP ' RSP ' '..... repeat. (* I call this a "three punch monty")

You can also do:

SDP ' RSP ' ' FDP ' SSP ' ' ..... repeat

You can change between these combo's on the SSP.

These are great combo's for Punch Drumming because a three punch single beat sound like this is used a lot in music and fits to ANY song. Lots of times you can do a 3-Punch Fist Roll ' ' 3-Punch Fist Roll and it works. Either of these combo's will substitue for 3-punch rolls. But watch out! you can get your hands tied in a knot if you're not careful.

word.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 02-11-2011, 08:32 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Aug 2010

AK This post was a mistake

Sorry Alan, some how I posted this by accident with the Billy Mack video instead of mine. I will try out the advice you gave though. It's got to make me a better bagger!

Here is the Legit post link:

http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...6762#post26762
      Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
        Sorry Alan, some how I posted this by accident with the Billy Mack video instead of mine. I will try out the advice you gave though. It's got to make me a better bagger!

Here is the Legit post link:

http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...6762#post26762
        Good thing, cause I mis-intrepreted his combo. I though he was doing:

FDP ' SSP ' ' RDP ' SSP ' '.....repeat.

But that is wrong in two ways: First, there is not two rebounds between the SSP to RDP, (SSP ' ' RDP ) there is only one. Second, there is not a second SSP in the combo, it is just a FDP.

Somehow I counted six punches instead of five, but what he is doing it a 5 punch combo from the Book.

FDP ' SSP ' RDP ' ' ....repeat. The angle of his FDP fists hitting after the RDP make it look like a Side punch but it is not.

Must have been the coffee.... I'll check yours out.

OK, this is a very nice rhythmic combo:

S-TES ' ' S-TES ' ' SDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' ....repeat. Notice when you do it as written it rotates the RSP from hand to hand, which happens naturally in the combo. The secret to that is which fist you pass through in the FDP, the lead or second. You can use either one and that will determine the led of the next STES.

Nova, this is a perfect 11 beat combo for what I call an "echo pattern", or reproducing the very same sound (beat, rhythm) with different techniques. You can do this by looking at the beat sound (single, double, triple..) of the NEXT technique and thinking what other technique you can do that makes that same beat. For instance, you can easily change the second STES to either a Downward Triple or an Outward Triple ES and see what happens. Here are a few variations... Hang on.

S-TES ' ' D-TES ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' '...

S-TES ' ' O-TES ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SSP ' '....

S-TES ' ' S-TES ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SSP ' '

S-TES ' ' D-TES ' ' R-SDP ' ' SDP ' ' SSP (or *FSP) ' ' (* if you us the FSP, you will still need two rebounds inbetween the next technique, so you can either do a S-TES or pass it under to begin with a Three punch R-Roll behind the bag:

S-TES ' ' D-TES ' ' R-SDP ' ' SDP ' ' FSP ' ' R-Roll ' ' S-TES ' ' SDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP.

It doesn't matter which technique in all of this you change, as long as the beat remains the same. Change just one technique and you change the look of the combo. people watching are always fascinated by the bag beat AND the look of what you're doing, so they are normally amazed at the sight variation but repetitive sound. Now we don't necessary do this to wow the crowd, for the secret of doing echo combinations is BAG and BEAT control. Remember, Punching drumming is about the sounds of the techniques, and when you're into a song you might not know where your hands will be when you feel a certain beat you want to use.

For more on echo rhythms look in the SBB page 155. In fact, if you look at page 159 echo pattern #2-A you will see this exact combo except I used one S-TES instead of two for an 8 punch combo. Then I show 5 more ways to keep that same beat or sound with different techniques. Your combo's and movements will be all different, but the sound will remain the same. There are several more in the book and you can make up many more 4-11 or 12 punch combo's on your own.

Echo combo's will help you learn to make an single, double or triple beat sound from anywhere around the bag. In time it won't matter where your hands are, you will be able to make any single, double or triple beat rhythm. Now THAT'S bag control. Some people get lost on bag speed as a measure of skill and control, but mastering the sound you want at any speed, from any position around the bag, is also very important - if you want to be a Punch Drummer.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...