• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaguiler
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2007

Pictures of my setup ...

Pics of my setup -

here is the room - not yet finished - I need drywall and a parquet floor and I will be set.

Here is my speedbag set - with homemade Lowes pine drum.... 1" thick, and a 40lb sandbag wrapped in an old neoprene car seat cover.

• Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Looks like a nice setup. I notice the shape of your Everlast bag is significantly different than mine. I wonder if Everlast has changed something?

Also, how do you like that Everlast H2O heavy bag? I have considered getting one for the back yard but I wasn't sure what the quality was like and if it would stand up to being left outdoors for the summer.

I'd very much like to hear your opinion on the bag and how it compares to a normal heavy bag.

Comment

• BillyMack
      • Sep 2006

Nice!

Nice looking set up, jaguiler! The shape of your Everlast is definitely odd - Elephant Testicle - but it didn't seem to be an issue in your video...nice platform too...a real beauty!

Comment

• jaguiler
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2007

I am a little disappointed in the shape of the 9x6 Everlast Pro - the other one which is blue and red - is a perfect shape...but the smaller one is odd - I mention it was more of a banana.... but it still rebounds great and is perfectly useable. Elephant testicle - haha - I have to remember that !

The H20 bag is great - I like the softer feel - I have carpal tunnel in my right wrist - so hitting it is pretty good - the normal bags tend to get very hard on the bottom as the sand settles. The water bag is consistent from top to bottom and is a nice soft flesh like feel. Very fun and satifying to hit.

I wouldn't recommend putting it outside though - depends on your climate... but water will freeze at 32 degrees F - and when hot it will expand - putting lots of strain on the bag. Not sure what the UV and rain will do to it... but I doubt you want this kind of bag outside. too bad because it really is a great bag otherwise.

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

but water will freeze at 32 degrees F - and when hot it will expand
          Actually, water expands when it freezes and contracts when it thaws. (You can prove this by filling a jar with water to the top and putting a lid on it or leave a unopened can drink in the freezer overnight) It's the opposite from most other substances. I live in IL and I would only have it outside from April to October anyway so freezing would not be an issue.

I guess I'll stick with my plans to use my old garage sale heavy bag that I think I've redistributed the stuffing in by stomping around on it and heaving it to the ground.
          Last edited by Chris M; 03-14-2007, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• jaguiler
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2007

or you can use a side of beef...

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jaguiler View Post
              or you can use a side of beef...
              Ha! Yeah, but they get kind of maggotty after a couple of days in the back yard.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

speed bag setup

Yes sir, that's a beautiful board.

did you use locktite or some other cement to glue the eye-bolt (screw) into the ball of your plastic swivel. Some have said it really helps keep the metal part from coming out.

great set up.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaguiler
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2007

yes I used Superglue to glue the eye in - works great .... no issues.

The board is from Lowes - 24" pine drum - 1" thick - I used Minwax English Chestnut stain to get the color on it....
                  \
                  Thanks for the complements on it - I am trying to make my gym nice looking as well as functional....

next is drywall - painted grey - and parquet floor.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Plastic swivel glue.

Did you use a superglue or locktite thread locker on that swivel?. Lowes and home depot have about 3,000 types of glues, and some say plastic, some say "most plastics", but I'm not sure which will work best. Gotta admit I've been hitting a plastic swivel for a while about half speed and it's worked great. I increased the power and went to about 3/4 speed on a 9x6 bag, and it unscrewed and flew off. Since I've got about 10 of these, I can just change it, but I'm not sure which glue will really lock the threads in place when I put it back together.

Locktite glues and thread lockers and superglues.

seems like someone posted a link to a locktite product that worked some time ago...

any ideas which one to use?
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                      Did you use a superglue or locktite thread locker on that swivel?. Lowes and home depot have about 3,000 types of glues, and some say plastic, some say "most plastics", but I'm not sure which will work best. Gotta admit I've been hitting a plastic swivel for a while about half speed and it's worked great. I increased the power and went to about 3/4 speed on a 9x6 bag, and it unscrewed and flew off. Since I've got about 10 of these, I can just change it, but I'm not sure which glue will really lock the threads in place when I put it back together.

Locktite glues and thread lockers and superglues.

seems like someone posted a link to a locktite product that worked some time ago...

any ideas which one to use?
                      I used loctite on mine and I never had a problem with it. To be honest though, I found a metal ball hook swivel a couple of weeks after that so I can't truly attest to the longevity of it.

Edit: this is the one I used: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/produ...id=48&plid=154

It's not that I did a lot of research into what I was doing, it's what I had in my toolbox at the time. So far so good...
                      Last edited by Chris M; 03-17-2007, 05:52 AM.

Comment

• JimmyMac
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jan 2007

Nice!

Nice setup.
                        I used the same pine table top material from Lowes, but 36".
                        I wanted to stain it and then put some sort of clear coating (eurethane?) over it, but couldn't wait another day to try it after I built the box. so, it's nekked.
                        I wonder if a eurothane coating on the drum would make the bag-leather "slap" louder.
                        I need to lower mine soon anyway so maybe I'll take the time to give it some stain n 'thane.

Cool cave, man!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
                          I used loctite on mine and I never had a problem with it. To be honest though, I found a metal ball hook swivel a couple of weeks after that so I can't truly attest to the longevity of it.

Edit: this is the one I used: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/produ...id=48&plid=154

It's not that I did a lot of research into what I was doing, it's what I had in my toolbox at the time. So far so good...
                          Thanks Chris.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaguiler
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Jan 2007

Jimmi - I think I will use a polyurathene on mine - it is a harder finish than the laquer. I didn't wait to poly mine either - mine is just stained.

Alan -

I used regular old superglue - works great..... "Mr. Bond" or something like that superbond.... they all have the same ingredients

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...