• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaguiler
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2007

My first video - enjoy !

Hi everyone -

I finally got around to making a video - I used my Canon camera on video mode to do it...

It is some front punching and my attempts to reverse punching...

critisism welcome It is not perfect...but I am learning - I think

• BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

Lookin good, man. You might experiement with stepping an inch or so closer to the bag...it seemed like you were a little too far out. When leading a FDP with your right I noticed you let your left elbow fly up - try to keep the elbows steady. Also, toward the end of the clip your circle punches seemed to have a lot of wasted up and down movement. Try to come straight out from your chin into the bag and straight back. Keep it up!!

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
      Lookin good, man. You might experiement with stepping an inch or so closer to the bag...it seemed like you were a little too far out. When leading a FDP with your right I noticed you let your left elbow fly up - try to keep the elbows steady. Also, toward the end of the clip your circle punches seemed to have a lot of wasted up and down movement. Try to come straight out from your chin into the bag and straight back. Keep it up!!
      I agree with BillyMack that you have an up and down arc to your swing. Actually, I call this "pawing the bag" and your fist kind of glazes down the front area, often hitting the top of the belly, not the center.

The angle of your camera (looking upward at the bag..) and low light make it difficult to be sure about a few comments I might make.

( easier to tudor if the camera is at your shoulder level with a clean view of YOU sideways. Upward or downward camera angles from various places make analysis of postion and swing movements more difficult..)

BM mentions your elbow comes up wierd in your Front Double Punch (FDP), and he's right. You appear to do that so your second fist will make contact in the Front Straight Punch (FSP) position. You did it with both sides. again the angle makes it difficult to tell, but the only reason your elbow would need to come up that high for the front of the fist to make contact is if the bag is too high, which it appears to be from some of your swing motions. I'm betting the belly is at your eye level? Put it at your chin and notice the difference it makes

Like BM points out, you are reaching "out" with your arms to do the Reverse Punches. But I don't think your distance to the bag is the problem, or that moving closer is necessarily going to fix it. You were using four rebounds before hitting from behind. During rebounds 2,3,4 your fist is in good position clearly out of the way behind the bag - or rebounds 2,3 would hit your fist or arm, but they don't. Then you quickly extend your elbow to begin your punching motion. You probably think you need your fist further behind the bag to start swinging again, but you don't. It is already in position. This isn't a distance problem, it's a swinging technique or timing issue. I would suggest you practice doing 8-10 Reverse Single Punches (RSP) with each arm than link to Front Circle Punch (FCP).
      I also suggest you relax and lean slight to the side of the bag as you do several RSPx8-10 to get used to naturally moving to make you swing angle easier. It is very hard to do continous RSP standing straight in front of the bag, so you will lean to the side of the arm that is punching.

Then do Front Circle Punch x2 to Reverse Single Punch x2. It looks like this:

FCPx2 ' ' RSPx2 ' '....repeat 8 or 10 times.

that will make you link every other punch and help you learn to keep your elbow locked in on position while linking. (you will need to stay in front of the bag to do that last one)

For the Reverse Double Punch (RDP), The RSP exercises will help, along with this. Do RSPx3 then a RDP, to RSPx3 other arm, to RDP. It looks like this:

L-RSPx3 ' ' ' L-R RDP ' ' ' R-(RSP)x3 ' ' ' R-L RDP ' ' '..repeat

Then change the RSPx3 to RSPx2.

then try continous alternating RDP.

L-R........R-L........L-R........R-L
      RDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' '

all the above RDP exercises will force you to keep your arms up and fists extended behind the bag. You will not be able to extend your elbows out further to complete them. That will really help your confidence and ability behind the bag. Also help your distance judgement to the bag.

(* For these Reverse exercises, don't move in too close or your nose may also make a rebound...)

hope it helps.
      Last edited by Speedbag; 03-19-2007, 09:12 PM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaguiler
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2007

thanks ! I will work on it !!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...