• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slugger53
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2007

beginner

I am new to this forum but I' m determined & excited to learn & hopefully master (someday) the athletic art of the speed bag.I have a pretty good platform & swivel--have some of the basics down but practice doesn't make perfect if your not doing it the right way.Could someone give me a starting point & what to work on .
    Thanks -- Slugger53
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

Can you post any videos of your progress?

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

speed bag beginner.

Originally posted by slugger53 View Post
      I am new to this forum but I' m determined & excited to learn & hopefully master (someday) the athletic art of the speed bag.I have a pretty good platform & swivel--have some of the basics down but practice doesn't make perfect if your not doing it the right way.Could someone give me a starting point & what to work on .
      Thanks -- Slugger53

Hey Slugger53, Welcome home. WE love beginners.

Good to know that you've got a pretty good board, swivel and bag setup. Best place to start is.... at the beginning.

You say you have some "basics down". Could you be more specific by what that really means to you? Hitting from the front of the bag in the triplet rhythm? It would help to know what skills you have.

Without knowing that, I would suggest you really DO start with the basics. First, position of equipment and setup.

This bag position and body posture with the elbows up makes passing the fists through the bag to the other side easier. But not everyone wants to do that. IF you just want to hit from the front, you can raise the bag up a little higher. But the height of the bag will effect your arm position and swinging movements

another area to work on is Techniques and combinations. If you really want to improve your skills, it really helps to understand a little about these.

Everyone here is learning from each other, so don't be afraid to ask questions to the group. click around and read some threads. You'll find a wealth of information. We look forward to reviewing any video's you can post online. and we will offer some constructive help, or "tutoring" if you want.

train safe.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jason_m_amy
        • Jan 2007

Slugger53,

Save yourself a TON of time and frustration and buy the DVD and "Speed Bag Bible". If you can't afford both, at least buy the DVD. If you can't afford either, go to speedbagcentral.com and read every inch of that site! It will help you master so many techniques that you would otherwise spend years trying to figure out on your own. I have progressed so much in the last few months after buying the Bible+DVD that sometimes I amaze myself. This is all due to the excellent material in the Bible+DVD combined with lots of practice. The Bible has a wealth of information that will keep you focused on learning new techniques and combos for a long time to come. Alan is an excellent instructor! I believe if you ask the user "Speedbag" (he's the author of the Bible+DVD), you will get a discount for being a member of this forum! I think most of the folks in this forum that have the Bible+DVD will agree with my comments...

-Jason

Comment

• slugger53
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Feb 2007

videos

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
          Can you post any videos of your progress?
          how do I post a video?

Comment

• slugger53
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Feb 2007

I agree-- myself, being a visual learner, will definitely save me a lot of frustration.
            Thanks Jason
            The BIBLE & DVD seem to be the right way to go.

Comment

• slugger53
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Feb 2007

I guess by basics ,I can keep the bag moving w/one hand or both at a reasonable pace ,,feeling halfway comfortable.The belly of the bag is at my mouth--I tend to hit up here and there and have to restart .Ineed to shorten my hand punch some what but one step at a time.
              I'll check speed bag central & Jason mentioned the bible and DVD'S.Any more suggestions will help.
              Thanx,
              Paul (slugger53)

Comment

• slugger53
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Feb 2007

I guess by basics ,I can keep the bag moving w/one hand or both at a reasonable pace ,,feeling halfway comfortable.The belly of the bag is at my mouth--I tend to hit up here and there and have to restart .Ineed to shorten my hand punch some what but one step at a time.
                I'll check speed bag central & Jason mentioned the bible and DVD'S.Any more suggestions will help.
                Thanx,
                Paul (slugger53)

Comment

• BillyMack
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by slugger53 View Post
                  how do I post a video?
                  Post it to Youtube or similar and paste a link here.

Comment

• Tim
                    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
                    Post it to Youtube or similar and paste a link here.
                    Here's a writeup from Speedbag about posting video:

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...