• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

1914 American Boy's Workshop - bag platforms

A little history here. These platform plans are from a book of projects that a boy was expected to learn how to do -- build a canoe, an ice yacht, a jousting ring setup for ice skaters, household furniture, etc., as well as a nifty pea shooter with a gravity fed magazine for rapid fire. Life in 1914 was anything but boring. The platform plans are further proof of just how mainstream the speed bag was in the past.

From Google books:

Attached Files
  • crapshoot
    • Apr 2010

And here I thought I had an original idea! I think they probed my mind from the past.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Mind Probing... or, perhaps something else...

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
      And here I thought I had an original idea! I think they probed my mind from the past.
      Either that, or maybe... YOU'RE from the past and don't know it!

Do you you experience excessive amounts of Déjà vu? hmmmmmm...

From Wikipedia: Yogi Berra, a baseball player and manager known for interesting quotations called "Yogiisms", famously said after watching Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris hit back-to-back home runs multiple times, "It's déjà vu all over again."
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Amazing find, Paranday. A very complicated set up for the time. I notice the swivel in pic 1 (fig 3) is a ball and cord type, perhaps like my "nichols swivel" from 1900. ( no rope on this one...)
        Attached Files
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• The Baggist
          Vert Baggin' Master
          • May 2009

Keep the great speed bag history coming Paranday! I love that stuff. The early years are pretty vague aside from a few picks and even less video footage. You are putting in some nice work diggin for the facts. Thanks!!

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

Yeah, he's digging up some stuff I haven't seen in years

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Feb 2010

I agree, the history is certainly interesting, so keep it coming!

If you find anything on early British made boxing equipment, let me know! I can't seem to find anything! Lonsdale started in about 1960, that's all I could track down. Perhaps there are no antique british speed balls out there.

Comment

• paranday
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
                If you find anything on early British made boxing equipment, let me know! I can't seem to find anything! Lonsdale started in about 1960, that's all I could track down. Perhaps there are no antique british speed balls out there.
                I have found the names of two British companies, both are from the book Training for Athletics and General Health by Harry Andrews, Trainer to the South London Harriers, 1904. See images below for details.

I'm hoping your library can help you find some literature to take photos or scans of.

Not available online, but a reference was found for this catalogue:
                Education gymnastic apparatus.
                Spencer, Heath & George Ltd. (Firm)
                Spencer, Heath & George Ltd., 1936.
                Board of education specification as P.T. series, no.14

And for this book:
                The Life & battles of Jas. J. Corbett : one of America's most famous boxers.
                Author: Health & Strength, Ltd.
                Publisher: London : Health & Strength, [1909?]
                OCLC Number: 54166479
                Notes: Cover title. Advertising matter interspersed throughout.
                Description: 28, [4] p. : ill. ; 24 cm.

I offer them up as leads, no telling what they contain. But it's just a matter of time and some extensive searching to hopefully turn up some early British catalogues and other literature.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by paranday; 07-24-2010, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Feb 2010

Thanks for the research paranday, will see if I can find out anything more.

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                    A little history here. These platform plans are from a book of projects that a boy was expected to learn how to do -- build a canoe, an ice yacht, a jousting ring setup for ice skaters, household furniture, etc., as well as a nifty pea shooter with a gravity fed magazine for rapid fire. Life in 1914 was anything but boring. The platform plans are further proof of just how mainstream the speed bag was in the past.

From Google books:

http://books.google.com/books/downlo...S-XsvED4b5KcH8
                    We could a list of this magnitude for some of the kids here in Chicago.......give some of them something better to do than shoot each other.
                    sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...